• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Paul scared me at the end with his

”AAAAAANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Btw, it was interesting how the little girl identified herself as “Elizabeth” (the same name as Anne and Paul’s dead baby), and the commercial that immediately followed was, “Hey, LIZ!!”

Wasn’t Anne married to a Duke or something (from a small European country) as her last husband??

I believe she died via a car bomb??

I can’t recall the details.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

@DemetriKaneThat's a wonderful discovery. To think it was on there for two years without anyone even noticing! I am thrilled to get to see any glimpse of that period, or of the Anne and Paul story. I wish we could see more of Anne - Judith Barcroft was such a luminous actress, as shown here, and I would love to see her interact with Peter White, Ruth Warrick, etc. It's a shame that her main surviving soap work is her poor role on Ryan's Hope. 

• Members

Right!!

It would’ve been easier to find if she had put “All My Children” in the title (as opposed to “AMC”).

I periodically search YouTube for “All My Children, followed by various years in the ‘70s, to see if anything like this clip pops up.

I’m sad to hear that.

ETA:

https://people.com/tv/susan-lucci-mourns-her-mothers-death-at-104/

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

@Pine Charles Ha! He seems to be a good actor, i would have loved for his character to have stuck around longer. 

I chuckled when that commercial for that said reason.

Oh, i never heard of Duke.  I could be wrong though, i don't know much about 70s amc. She did die in the car bomb though. It was meant for Paul!

@Jonathan Yes, me too! I like his presence; the martins needed him. Looks like they gave all the martin wives parts of Anne storylines. I don't think it was wise for them to kill off Anne either, she was a very interesting character and had more storyline potential marrying Palmer and Adam.

@robbwolff Maeve looks incredible in that commercial.

@DRW50 Someone has those late 70s episodes hidden away somewhere. Im very intrigued but this era and a lot of characters like Anne and Eddie Dorrance.

• Members

I think Judith Bancroft also was on the Edge of Night in the last weeks of the show as a doctor...but I agree I'd love to see more of her work as Anne.  I think the episodes started being saved in 1976 so we would be able to see the Beth story in full.

She had expressive eyes.

And I wonder if Anne was killed off because the replacement actress wasn't popular.  I do agree if Anne had stayed on...Phoebe would have gotten even more to do in the 80s.  I often think Brooke filled the void with Phoebe in some respects.

• Members

You can generally tell from archival stuff when a recast doesn't go over because after a few lamentable years they're offed or sent out of town. I assume that was the case here too. I'd never heard of Brooke being a replacement for Anne but I suppose it makes sense.

Judith Barcroft had a long run at a couple shows, though at AW she was replaced by the legendary Susan Sullivan pretty handily. I've always wondered about Barcroft, one of those bygone soap stars who faded away from the scene in the 80s. Millette Alexander did the same.