• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Really good episode. I was enjoying all the storylines, 87 wasn't that bad of a year imo. Ross and Natalie affair was so hot and steamy, they should have let them pushed forward with it instead of making ross rape Natalie. I was very intrigued by the jesse/Yvonne/angie story too. I adore the character of julie, I wish Beth Elhers was brought on as Julie chandler recast.

• Members

@Pine Charles it was well deserved. Not sure why "Most improved show"  because i remember 86 being very good too, that was the year of Erica/Jeremy/Natalie triangle taking center stage. Cortlandt manor was the main draw of 87, yea i believe she was writing the show at that time. Lorraine just get it! Secrets, scandals, affairs = soapy goodness; she lowkey redid this storyline with Jr/ Annie/Brooke/Adam too! 

• Members

From my recollection, SOD wrote how the cast was bloated and that there were a bunch of “island” storylines - with characters isolated in their own particular plots.

I remember the article being posted here before, so perhaps it will be again (so we can get more clarity).

And not like ratings are the measure of quality storytelling, but the ratings did dip significantly over 1985-1986.

Three huge stars left around 1984 - Dorothy Lyman, Kim Delaney, and Marcy Walker. I always thought that contributed - at least somewhat - to the dip.

But ratings shot up again in the latter half of 1987, I believe largely due to Natalie’s rape trial, with AMC reaching #1 in December ‘87.

ETA: I believe Taylor Miller also left (for the first time) around ‘84/‘85 as well.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

Yea. Im one to believe the dip was because of the loss of fan favorites jenny, liza, nina and opal( who brought a large portion of the humor). The show was bloated though, all those comedic side characters. Im not at all surprised the ratings went up during Natalie's rape trial, and Julie running away to new york. 

Do you happen to know what storyline pushed AMC to number one in 1978/79? Was it the Eddie Dorrance murder?

Edited by DemetriKane

• Members

It could’ve very well have been Eddie Dorrance’s murder.

Eddie was pumping Kelly full of drugs and beating her; she needed amphetamines to perform her singing act, and barbiturates to come down.
Eddie had also raped Brooke, with her getting pregnant and having an abortion (a plot point many seem to have forgotten).
I believe it was briefly mentioned in ‘94, when Brooke had her ectopic pregnancy w/ Tad, and perhaps earlier when she was having fertility problems w/ Adam.

Anyhow, ‘78-‘79 was also the year when Erica wed conservative, old-fashioned  Catholic Tom Cudahy, with her posing as a wholesome housewife, yet taking contraceptives (while stating she wanted a child) behind his back.

Erica was also planning the construction of her dance club - a.k.a. “Disco Deceit.”

Crazies Ray Gardner and Billy Clyde Tuggle were center stage, w/ B.C. tormenting Donna Beck and Estelle LaTour.

There was a quadrangle with Tara/Phillip/Donna/Chuck.

‘78-‘79 was also the introduction of the Cortlandt Family.

Edited by Pine Charles