AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Been watching this playlist most of the weekend. As it states, it’s lot of Erica, but also a whole heap of other storylines in there, especially Natalie’s initial machinations against Erica and Jeremy.

What I found interesting is even back in December 1985, they were already mentioning Janet by name in scenes between Natalie and Alex Hunter, which indicates to me that they had a solid backstory set up to use for Natalie later down the line. But it was a real treat watching Natalie/Erica scenes - those two were quite matched on the rivalry stakes!

• Members

Wow -- what a rich cast AMC had during that era !  The Erica-Natalie rivalry was one of my favorites of all time.  

I do have to wonder why TPTB even bothered recasting Nina...I feel sorry for Barbara Kearns, there was just no way anyone could make us forget Taylor Miller -- she was just too popular and too perfect in the role of fairy tale princess Nina.  There were enough other characters on the canvas, Nina just should have been written out until TM was ready to return.   

• Members

Erica wiped the floor with both Maria and Brooke without breaking a sweat.

Natalie and Barbara were more evenly matched against Erica.

Although Annie in the late 2000s went a few rounds with Erica successfully.  Of the younger set..Annie and Erica could verbally spar.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

Taylor Miller is a really distinctive performer with those patrician features of hers and her all-around screen presence. The second Nina was physically right for the role, but they saddled her with some pretty horrible material. The third, dark-haired Nina might as well have landed from Mars, she seemed so alien.

• Members

Speaking of Erica, here’s another episode I stumbled upon, from AMC’s 20th anniversary month in January 1990. Some gold in here - Chuck, Donna, Emily Ann, Phoebe, Billy Clyde, Travis, Jack, Erica, Natalie, Skye.

I love how fresh the episode looked here... it still feels somewhat contemporary compared to today’s standards!

• Members

@OzFrog you ain’t the only one I been all over that channel lately.

I like the actress who played the crazy nutcase Nina . She was hysterical! Yes, I understand, she wasn’t Taylor Miller! but I enjoyed her pulling out guns at weddings and such.

La Kane was always written to win. Major problem I always had with the character. I chuckled anytime you read Brooke though, i could have written far better comebacks for Brooke against Erica. 

love me some Barbara, but that Natalie fascinated me the most. She was so complex, had chemistry with any men walking. Ross and Natalie had super couple potential. I enjoyed watching them sneak around more than Brooke/Adam courtship and Erica/Travis too! We would have completely different show if I was writing it.

Edited by DemetriKane

• Members

I'm still trying to get through 1991-92, but skipped ahead and watched some of that September 1994 episode.  I've also caught bits and pieces of what there is on YouTube from that "sequel" a few years later with Mattson's Janet pretending to be someone else in order to once again marry Trevor.

I say sequel intentionally, because it really has the vibe of one of the sequels to summer blockbusters from that era that were paint-by-numbers retreads of originals, which—love them or hate them—had real talent involved and were genuinely beloved by many, e.g., Home Alone 2, Addams Family Values, the many Jurassic Park sequels, etc.  Especially with that actress who played Janet and Natalie's mother, whom I feel like I saw in so many things in the '90s.  And I know Harold the Dog had an even more far-fetched arc, which I kind of wish I could find on YouTube.

And like those movie sequels, that story seemingly hinged on nobody having learned anything the first time.  Did they even try to explain why someone who had committed Janet's particular crimes would have ever been chosen for such an experiment, or why nobody knew Janet was out of jail and had a new face?

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

As a teen I loved the return of Janet (and all her mirror talks) but that's a good point--I don't think they did ever explain why she was given the experimental surgery (and it's not like people would follow her later to see how the surgery worked out...)  But Jane Cox was great, and Harold figuring it out lol