AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I had the same reaction to Anton (the actor of course later played Dracula opposite SMG's Buffy on an episode of Buffy).

I dunno--I think people like looking at McTavish's run as the start of the slow decline of AMC.  Perhaps, but her first two years were mostly great .  It was only at the end that you understand why FMB wanted her out.  Yes her show was quite dark (though still had classic AMC comedy) but I'll stand by it.

• Members

@ghfan89Thank-you for that information.

Yeah, “Black Erica Kane” is confusing, since Erica came from humble beginnings (her father was successful in Hollywood, but abandoned the family, with her mother working as a secretary).

Erica procured her wealth through an entertainment career, cosmetics company, ect.

Taylor grew up rich, and I guess chose to become a cop to “prove” herself (to those who dismissed her as a vapid rich girl).

Both are feisty, scheming characters, but I don’t see any similarities other than that.

Of course, if Taylor had lasted for YEARS (instead of about 4), perhaps they would’ve gained a bit more in common. LOL

Btw, what bio proclaims her as the “Black Erica Kane” (didn’t Lil Kim also give herself that title)??

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

The recast happened before then, but yeah, one of Broderick's misfires was new Taylor and the whole Jamaica storyline with her hunting them all over the island (and voodoo).  I have it on authority from one of the writers I interviewed that that outlandish storyline was partly pushed on the show by ABC who wee concerned about the sudden rise of DAYS with its crazy stories--and that they were "allowed" to tell stories like the over a year long Michael Delaney/Kevin Sheffield "gay" stuff as a deal if they balanced it out with increasingly over the top storylines.  (The other Broderick story I hated was Tanner--everything about Tanner including drunk Hayley thinking she slept with him). 

Exactly how I feel.  I really appreciate that Locher does these, but they're always frustrating (partly because, as he has admitted, he never even watched any of the Nixon soaps so he often gets details wrong, or repeats stories that all of the fans know already but he acts like it's new info

Please register in order to view this content

).  I didn't expect any depth, though I did repeatedly ask him to ask Debbi (and Darnell) about Nixon persuading her to join Loving and her time there.  So we didn't really get anything new, but I wasn't expecting much (and it was nice to hear Burnett tell her story herself, though of course I had heard that story 100x lol) 

• Members

Watching it now. My first gripe is Alan needs to practice his reading. How many times did he stumble over the intro?

Watching it now. My first gripe is Alan needs to practice his reading. How many times did he stumble over the intro?

My goodness, Susan Lucci looks amazing.

My goodness, Susan Lucci looks amazing.

• Members

The highlighted part is what stick out the most.  When I read up on her, Erica is who I thought of and who I probably would have fashion her after. I Questioned who and where is her birth father? Her relationship with her mom is very similar to Mona/Erica.

Well I don’t think a new Erica necessarily have to come from humble beginnings I.E. greenlee. I would argue she did come from humble beginnings, yea her parents had money but most rich black folks in the 90s were new money. She also had her time being a have not and whatnot with Noah, that’s when I would have placed her at enchantment and let the story write itself.

@EricMontreal22 I was bothered by the fact that he, focused on the same couple storylines that everybody else has: Erica’s abortion, Bianca coming out, the war etc. I would like for someone to really go into detail about All the things she tackled like the Paul/Anne/Beth storyline and her death, Michael Delaney coming out (which was a true umbrella storyline), Janet’s journey in PV, Taylor/Terrence deconstruction storyline, injecting comedy into soap opera and becoming the first dramedy, Angie’s sexual harassment, all the other career driven females on all her shows,  being the first to do twins, being the first to go on location, etc. I wanted it all highlighted at once. I guess I’m acting like a brat. 

Edited by cassistan

• Members

OK, I totally misunderstood that YOU think of Taylor as a “Black Erica Kane” after reviewing her character.

I was originally thinking that some random site with the character’s bio listed her as a “Black Erica Kane.”

Forgive me.
I need more sleep!!
(I also misconstrued a previous person’s comment regarding Erica, Janet and Natalie to mean they thought Erica should’ve been an accomplice in Janet’s well plot - when all they meant was Erica should’ve given Janet her original makeover )

Btw, you made very good points about how a “new Erica” doesn’t have to be a carbon copy of the original.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

Those shirts!! 

I mean and that seems to be a coffee place?  LOL  Love the end credit music Also--interesting they credit Art Wallace--the creator and first HW of Dark Shadows--as a creative consultant.  I know his wife wrote scripts around this time...  Still, kinda random.  Agnes Nixon seems to have had admiration for DS.  She never has said so specifically but she picked Gordon Russell for One Life to Live based on his only previous daytime work DS (and he came with Sam Hall).  And a few times she has said how Dan Curtis had the right Idea to save the tapes of his soap from the start.

• Members

It never escaped me that many DS personnel went on to work on Agnes' shows, specifically OLTL with Russell and Hall. Peter Miner also directed at both DS and OLTL. I believe Henry Kaplan did at least one other soap if not many.