AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A good interview. Loved hearing FJ's perspective of the show from acting, directing, and producing. The story JB tells of David Canary having Alzheimer's is heartbreaking.

ETA: Francesca James is sharp as a tack. She should still be working, if she wants to. I also loved hearing about her goals as EP: winning a Best Show Emmy and getting an Emmy for La Lucci!

• Members

Francesca James should write her own book.  Her life and all her stories are the history of daytime TV.  She was honest and loving in her remembrances...esp enjoyed hearing about her transition from acting to directing / producing and how supportive her AMC castmates were.  Bravo to her for making that jump !

Jennifer Bassey was adorable -- she shared fabulous anecdotes about David Canary, Michael E. Knight and Ruth Warrick.  She truly adored David Canary...as did the rest of the AMC cast and crew.  

The technical troubles were annoying.  After all these months of interviews, Alan should know the value of a tech check before an interview -- even before he commits to having a guest on, he should determine if their technology can support a 90-min interview.  Franscesca, once a producer always a producer, had to jump in to troubleshoot...but even then the tech difficulties continued.

But bless dear Alan for bringing this interview to us -- was truly a treat.

• Members

AMC so damn iconic they can now  add the first set of twins in daytime history (swoon). 

He finally did a decent interview for AMC bravo! I enjoyed watching both actresses go down memory lane. Jennifer is a hoot Periodt, I just love her. That was so sweet of Francesca to come back on a mission to get those emmy’s for best show and Susie. I agree she’s sharp as a tack definitely needs a book, workshop etc.

did anybody else clutch their pearls when she mentioned Julie Harris? I did lmao.

Edited by cassistan

• Members

Soaps of Yesterday was updated today (paging @j swift!), with some interesting items about AMC:

-- Hopefully I'm going to finally be able to pinpoint when exactly Dorothy Lyman last appeared as Opal (apparently in January 1984, according to Lynda Hirsch) and when Jenny and Tony's non-wedding (which I'm positive Opal wasn't at) was.

-- I'm wondering if Tony Dow tried out for either Ross Chandler or Mike Roy.

-- I knew Darnell Williams was popular, but I didn't know he was receiving "more fan mail than almost any two ABC male soap stars combined." Good for him!

-- And yet, Darnell didn't represent AMC at "Soap Madness," a hunk-centric personal appearance. The quintet of guys was Michael E. Knight, Charles Grant, Grant Aleksander, Frank Runyeon and Steve Bond. Are guys allowed to attend? Can anyone make some singles out of a $10?

-- Shortly before today's uploads, Beth Maitland talked about her weight. It comes up with Genie Francis and also Tasia Valenza. How nice to know that ABC has arranged for her dietician and that Dottie gets to contemplate having her jaw wired shut.

-- There's cautious optimism about the Lynn Carson and Devon storyline (a pity Donna Pescow didn't appear nearly 20 years later for the Bianca storyline, although it would have been a stretch: "Hey, remember the last time we had a lesbian?"), which is more than can be said about the Lars is a Nazi storyline, ended but evidently never to be forgotten.

-- TIL Hugh Franklin was married to Madeline L'Engle. The blog's become my new favorite ... wait for it ... wrinkle in time.

• Members

My anachronistic quote of the week came from the Jon-Michael Reed article @Franko mentioned about the introduction of a lesbian character on AMC.

Please register in order to view this content

In 2021, I hope nobody would refer to Lynn's sexuality as something "consciously chosen", although I do miss the term "alternative" lifestyle.

I keep trying to decide which writer I prefer.  Jon-Michael Reed has a fun bitchy style when reporting the news, and I love his clapbacks in his Q&A articles, but his synopses are too brief.  Lynda Hirsch has better weekly summaries, but she is in desperate need of an editor

According to both sources, AMC's low point included Lars being killed off on Palmer's boat with an American flag (and fans who needed explanations of Nazi atrocities) while Nina's lover Steve (aka Dack Rambo) was being unceremoniously sent out of Pine Valley.  Appearently, Mr. Rambo was supposed to make a stop at a paid fan event event for 10,000 people in Texas but his plans mysteriously changed at the last minute to a direct flight to LA.

On a side note:  I appreciate that both columns were so relatively spoiler-free that they were still unsure about Luke's future when Laura returned.

We get the "would you rather?" of the year - Tony Geary in Atlantic City with special guest Genie Francis or "Soap Madness" on Long Island where Steve Bond is going to debut his new song? 

Also, I find humor in the prices of everything in the ads.  Ladies boots were $59, but a portable VCR was a whopping $649.95!

Edited by j swift