On 11/12/2020 at 6:36 AM, gimmetoo said:

I was totally enthralled by Silver's shenanigans back in the day.  Deborah Goodrich was perfectly cast as Silver. The chemistry between La Lucci, Deborah and Lee Godart burned through the TV set.  

Wasn't that Louise Shaffer playing her mother, Goldie Kane? (Silver and gold, how can a soap fan not love that?) 😁

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think AMC lost a lot when they let go of scenic designer William Mickley and costume designer Carol Luiken.  The two lent such a distinct visual feel to Pine Valley and its' denizens.  You really felt like PV was a Main Line town in PA.

12 hours ago, Khan said:

I think AMC lost a lot when they let go of scenic designer William Mickley and costume designer Carol Luiken.  The two lent such a distinct visual feel to Pine Valley and its' denizens.  You really felt like PV was a Main Line town in PA.

When where they on the show?

22 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

Wasn't that Louise Shaffer playing her mother, Goldie Kane? (Silver and gold, how can a soap fan not love that?) 😁

Deborah Goodrich played the fake Sliver. Goldie was the mother to the real Sliver. Who was rather meh. And only got interesting when she tried to kill Natalie.

9 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Thank you, @victoria foxton. Do you think the problem with Goldie was more on LS or the writers? Wasn't LS also on the AMC writing team around this same time?

The whole story was SO BAD.  Which was very rare of AMC of that era. It didn't help that Sliver had no real personality.  And her and Jeremy had zero chemistry. Goldie and Dr. Damon Lazzare were cartoonish villains.  A pregnant Erica was even shoot in the stomach.

Edited by victoria foxton

I don’t think they should have recast Silver. Even though we only saw very little of her, I liked vibe and look of the original actress who played Silver. I saw her eventually becoming a threat to Erica for men, fame and fortune.  Forget boring Jeremy, Silver was needed for the Travis/Erica/Jackson triangle. Silver could have been saved if the writer’s wanted to but they make everything so easy for Erica.

Edited by cassistan

VHSGoodiesWA, who sometimes uploaded soap episodes, replied to a comment from me saying they took down their AMC episodes (they had already taken down their OLTL episodes) because they are wary of strikes - they also mentioned Pannoni4 is gone due to strikes. 

If any of you have the space or time, please consider downloading all of the videos from classic channels like HamiltonBernique, VintageAMC, or bluerose8508. I am not sure how much longer they will be around.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:40 AM, amybrickwallace said:

Thank you, @victoria foxton. Do you think the problem with Goldie was more on LS or the writers? Wasn't LS also on the AMC writing team around this same time?

I think Louise Shaffer wrote for AMC a while later, around 2000-2002. 

She started her first soap writing gig pretty much right after her stint as Goldie ended, joining the staff of Ryan's Hope around November 1987 and staying with RH until its cancellation.

Edited by Sean

I think I dropped a bird in Gregori Martin’s (creator, The Bay) ear by telling him that before All My Children ended, they were going to have my character of AJ Chandler have a storyline where he is gay.  The producers sat me down and talked through an entire storyline arc with me.  Basically, Ginger Smith (ex-executive producer, All My Children) and Alison, our casting director, and one other person from the show, took me to lunch in New York. They pitched me what they wanted to do for my character, and asked me if I would be comfortable with it, and they wanted my opinion, everything.  It was really cool how they approached it, and I was like, “100% completely.”  I look at what Chandler Massey (Ex-Will Horton) did on Days and where that brought him and his storyline, and I thought, “Yes, there’s going to be so much more depth and stuff to play than just being this fun little rich kid.”  At the time, there really wasn’t much depth to AJ.  So, I was like, “Yes.  I will be all over it.  Absolutely.”

That doesn't entirely surprise me about A.J. Eric Nelsen was so good, and another of the Agnes Nixon poor little rich boys - he'd never have been cast on ABC, IMO. He always seemed fluid.

@marceline your comments?

Edited by Vee
1 hour ago, Vee said:

That doesn't entirely surprise me about A.J. Eric Nelsen was so good, and another of the Agnes Nixon poor little rich boys - he'd never have been cast on ABC, IMO. He always seemed fluid.

@marceline your comments?

I'll be honest that I feel a little vindicated. I know a lot of people saw Miranda and AJ as a couple but I never did. I always saw them as a sort of Jenny/Jesse friendship.

There was so much dramatic potential there: AJ, Miranda, JR, Bianca, Marissa (remember her?), Dixie, Adam, & Erica.

I miss Pine Valley so much right now.

37 minutes ago, marceline said:

I'll be honest that I feel a little vindicated. I know a lot of people saw Miranda and AJ as a couple but I never did. I always saw them as a sort of Jenny/Jesse friendship.

There was so much dramatic potential there: AJ, Miranda, JR, Bianca, Marissa (remember her?), Dixie, Adam, & Erica.

I miss Pine Valley so much right now.

Yeah AJ and Miranda were definitely besties.  Question is, whom would you have paired AJ with?  Maybe Sam Grey?