AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Su was always so good at the Feud! There's an episode with the AMC cast where she earned all 200 points in Fast Money by herself.

Those specials were so much fun, used to love when GSN would rerun them in the summer months. I don't think I've ever seen this one with Joan Collins and Katherine MacGregor.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

During the Guiding Light writers reunion, James Harmon Brown expressed some regret at having brought Jesse back from the dead on AMC, which surprised me as the Hubbard stuff was probably the one bright spot of E&B's tenure. 

• Members

He didn't feel the story was a realistic or rewarding way to bring Jesse back (I assume referring to the Rob Gardner/Papel/diamond in a stuffed elephant nonsense) and that, while the viewers seemed to like having Angie and Jesse back, given how significant Jesse's death was for the show, "we really shouldn't have gone there" and resurrected him. 

Edited by LeClerc

• Members

I'm pretty sure most viewers were just happy to have people they didn't hate onscreen.

The Wildwind Chronicles youtube channel has been uploading a bunch of stuff from Maria's return and I'm surprised by how much I don't hate it. The story almost works in a bubble. 

Edited by Darn

• Members

This is basically how I felt about it at the time and now. From the POV of a soap bringing back two very popular characters from a better era and doing a great job of integrating them back into the then-current canvas, it was fantastic and wonderful and all of those things. I will always be grateful that AMC ended with Jesse and Angie at its core (both on ABC and with PP). The reunion at the train station was probably AMC's last big memorable scene.

On the other hand, I don't think a writer will ever feel satisfied with how he's written the resurrection of a character who had died onscreen 20 years earlier. Not only are you going through the heavy-lifting of explaining how this character really wasn't dead even as we had Angie resting on his dead body, but you also have to explain why he stayed away for 20 years when clearly this woman and his son are the loves of his life. And ultimately, as would be the case probably 99% of the time, the story they wrote to explain these things in regards to Jesse was terrible and convoluted.

The ends totally justified the means in this case, but I can see why JHB would feel "ugh" towards it. IIRC, it was quite a while into the history of the genre before a character was brought back even though we'd seen them die onscreen.