Jump to content


Toups

AMC Tribute Thread

Recommended Posts


22 minutes ago, EricMontreal22 said:

Oh I agree that it doesn't fit AMC (hypnotic tattoos are even worse) though I refuse to acknowledge your last sentence :D


That is meant as a compliment, actually.

AMC was always the most REAL - and “real” is now..... even though reality shows (namely Real Housewives) couldn’t be more fake.

 

Am I making any sense?? LOL

 

The cattiness at the dinner party/in the powder room, a drunk (usually Phoebe) causing a scene at a public event, the delusional diva/business mogul (Erica)..... it’s totally The Real Housewives..... I prefer the Pine Valley (played by actors) version, of course.

 

I hope that made sense.
I’m really tired.

 

I believe in one of his books, Cohen said he envisioned those shows as Pine Valley.

Edited by Pine Charles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Whatever happened to Wisner Washam. When did he depart? Did he fall or was he pushed?

He was upfront about it in his WLS interview. He said it was because Megan McTavish got promoted, and she drove him away in the early 90's. He went and took a writing job on GL for a bit along with Lorraine Broderick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghfan89 said:

He was upfront about it in his WLS interview. He said it was because Megan McTavish got promoted, and she drove him away in the early 90's. He went and took a writing job on GL for a bit along with Lorraine Broderick.

That's a fantastic interview.  He said he did not like working with her, but also implied he was ready to leave.  Broderick gave him the job at GL (I think he claimed he didn't remember writing a thing) because he needed less than a year more work to get full benefits or a full pension or something from the WGA, and Broderick basically gave him the job as a kind gesture.

2 hours ago, Pine Charles said:


That is meant as a compliment, actually.

AMC was always the most REAL - and “real” is now..... even though reality shows (namely Real Housewives) couldn’t be more fake.

 

Am I making any sense?? LOL

 

The cattiness at the dinner party/in the powder room, a drunk (usually Phoebe) causing a scene at a public event, the delusional diva/business mogul (Erica)..... it’s totally The Real Housewives..... I prefer the Pine Valley (played by actors) version, of course.

 

I hope that made sense.
I’m really tired.

 

I believe in one of his books, Cohen said he envisioned those shows as Pine Valley.

I'm sure he did ;) That does make sense though.  I guess my issue with the Real Housewives is the very little I've watched never give me a sense of families made up of generations, families at all really (despite appearances by some family members), a diversity in tone, etc.  But I do get ya ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Washam and/or Broderick took over the reigns of GL once Curlee/Demorest left. I think all four were great writers, and their work mostly character driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EricMontreal22 said:

a Page character during McTavish's run sounds familiar, but I can not place her and the Net isn't helping.

 

Sorry - I meant the writer. Was it Elizabeth Page? I wondered if it was her or Passanante who was responsible for making the show so unwatchable for me around 1999. I know Agnes wasn't perfect but there was just something about that period (the Dixie stuff, the nonsense with ending the Adam artificial insemination storyline with him getting a pie in the face on TV, how intensely plot-driven the show felt, unbearable Mateo pouring his alcoholic wife a drink [and we were meant to support him], etc.) I found intolerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MichaelGL said:

I wish Washam and/or Broderick took over the reigns of GL once Curlee/Demorest left. I think all four were great writers, and their work mostly character driven.

 

Agree.  Lorraine Broderick and Wisner Washam would have been fantastic as successors to Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest.  Especially, if Patrick Mulcahey had remained on staff as an associate/breakdown writer.  (As I've said before, although I know he didn't care working under Agnes Nixon at LOVING, I think Mulcahey would have been a great head, associate or even dialogue writer at AMC.)

 

12 hours ago, Darn said:

A redemption arc is fine, building him up as a potential love interest is the real problem.

 

Exactly.  And while I could buy Josh's redemption being a product of Agnes Nixon's imagination, I think she was much too tasteful to have him become Brooke's love interest as well.  I feel like THAT part of the story was foisted onto the initial idea, either by Passanante, or the EP, or whoever was running ABCD at that time (Brian Frons?).

 

Moreover, just like with Roscoe Born/Jim Thomasen, the Eliot/Brooke storyline cost AMC a really decent actor (David Beecroft) who could have been valuable to the show in the years to come.

 

3 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Was it Elizabeth Page? I wondered if it was her or Passanante who was responsible for making the show so unwatchable for me around 1999.

 

Honestly, the only thing I remember from Elizabeth Page's brief HW'ing tenure was a BTS story about how she (allegedly) hit Agnes Nixon over the head with a rolled-up script or something.  Like, who DOES that?

 

Edited by Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Daniel Cosgrove's Scott and Cornelius Smith Jr's Frankie have any scenes together?  I'm watching old episodes from 1987 and I had forgotten that Scott and Frankie were BFFs and actually lived in the Hubbard home when they were younger.

Edited by Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Did Daniel Cosgrove's Scott and Cornelius Smith Jr's Frankie have any scenes together?  I'm watching old episodes from 1987 and I had forgotten that Scott and Frankie were BFFs and actually lived in the Hubbard home when they were younger.

 

I don't recall but you've reminded me that Frankie and Bobby Warner were also buds, they were a few years older than me when I was a kid. I don't think they were ever on the canvas at the same time as adults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SFK said:

 

I don't recall but you've reminded me that Frankie and Bobby Warner were also buds, they were a few years older than me when I was a kid. I don't think they were ever on the canvas at the same time as adults.

 

They weren't - the closest might be that they were on Loving and AMC for a few months, but no crossovers there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SFK said:

 

I don't recall but you've reminded me that Frankie and Bobby Warner were also buds, they were a few years older than me when I was a kid. I don't think they were ever on the canvas at the same time as adults.

 

That's too bad.  Missed opportunity.  I'm sure Lorraine Broderick, had she had more time to write the show, would've had Frankie and Scott interact.  Frankie and Scott fighting over the same girl (not that ho Randi) would've been interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 6:46 AM, DRW50 said:

 

Sorry - I meant the writer. Was it Elizabeth Page? I wondered if it was her or Passanante who was responsible for making the show so unwatchable for me around 1999. I know Agnes wasn't perfect but there was just something about that period (the Dixie stuff, the nonsense with ending the Adam artificial insemination storyline with him getting a pie in the face on TV, how intensely plot-driven the show felt, unbearable Mateo pouring his alcoholic wife a drink [and we were meant to support him], etc.) I found intolerable.

Was that all in the last half of 1999?  I have been intrigued by Elizabeth Page--she was initially listed as Agnes' co-HW, but pretty quickly it was her and Passanante as her co-HWers and then just Passanante as co-HW (and eventually HW which is when the [!@#$%^&*] hit the fan--stuff like "dog boy", the ghosts taking over PV and of course Passanante apparently broke her contract to quit early--why?--and moved to ATWT leaving AMC without a credited HW for two months).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EricMontreal22 said:

Was that all in the last half of 1999?  I have been intrigued by Elizabeth Page--she was initially listed as Agnes' co-HW, but pretty quickly it was her and Passanante as her co-HWers and then just Passanante as co-HW (and eventually HW which is when the [!@#$%^&*] hit the fan--stuff like "dog boy", the ghosts taking over PV and of course Passanante apparently broke her contract to quit early--why?--and moved to ATWT leaving AMC without a credited HW for two months).

 

I think it was summer 1999 as this was when they started shoving Greenlee down our throats, along with the Becca/Scott love story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, Khan said:

 

 

 

Moreover, just like with Roscoe Born/Jim Thomasen, the Eliot/Brooke storyline cost AMC a really decent actor (David Beecroft) who could have been valuable to the show in the years to come.

 

 

Honestly, the only thing I remember from Elizabeth Page's brief HW'ing tenure was a BTS story about how she (allegedly) hit Agnes Nixon over the head with a rolled-up script or something.  Like, who DOES that?

 

Agreed about Beecroft--he also had good chemisgtry with Brooke (maybe some exec saw that and pushed for it to be more romantic). 

And wha??  I wanna hear more about this bomping Agnes story!  Maybe that's why she was gone so quickly lol

Just now, DRW50 said:

 

I think it was summer 1999 as this was when they started shoving Greenlee down our throats, along with the Becca/Scott love story.

Pretty sure Becca/Scott was Agnes at leas in concept (Greenlee too).  As I've said before it felt like she was trying to bring back one of her initial young love stories--Becca being very much in the Tara model--but it just wasn't working (and maybe never would have worked around 2000)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...