AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That is meant as a compliment, actually.

AMC was always the most REAL - and “real” is now..... even though reality shows (namely Real Housewives) couldn’t be more fake.

Am I making any sense?? LOL

The cattiness at the dinner party/in the powder room, a drunk (usually Phoebe) causing a scene at a public event, the delusional diva/business mogul (Erica)..... it’s totally The Real Housewives..... I prefer the Pine Valley (played by actors) version, of course.

I hope that made sense.
I’m really tired.

I believe in one of his books, Cohen said he envisioned those shows as Pine Valley.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

That's a fantastic interview.  He said he did not like working with her, but also implied he was ready to leave.  Broderick gave him the job at GL (I think he claimed he didn't remember writing a thing) because he needed less than a year more work to get full benefits or a full pension or something from the WGA, and Broderick basically gave him the job as a kind gesture.

I'm sure he did

Please register in order to view this content

That does make sense though.  I guess my issue with the Real Housewives is the very little I've watched never give me a sense of families made up of generations, families at all really (despite appearances by some family members), a diversity in tone, etc.  But I do get ya

• Members

Sorry - I meant the writer. Was it Elizabeth Page? I wondered if it was her or Passanante who was responsible for making the show so unwatchable for me around 1999. I know Agnes wasn't perfect but there was just something about that period (the Dixie stuff, the nonsense with ending the Adam artificial insemination storyline with him getting a pie in the face on TV, how intensely plot-driven the show felt, unbearable Mateo pouring his alcoholic wife a drink [and we were meant to support him], etc.) I found intolerable.

• Members

Agree.  Lorraine Broderick and Wisner Washam would have been fantastic as successors to Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest.  Especially, if Patrick Mulcahey had remained on staff as an associate/breakdown writer.  (As I've said before, although I know he didn't care working under Agnes Nixon at LOVING, I think Mulcahey would have been a great head, associate or even dialogue writer at AMC.)

Exactly.  And while I could buy Josh's redemption being a product of Agnes Nixon's imagination, I think she was much too tasteful to have him become Brooke's love interest as well.  I feel like THAT part of the story was foisted onto the initial idea, either by Passanante, or the EP, or whoever was running ABCD at that time (Brian Frons?).

Moreover, just like with Roscoe Born/Jim Thomasen, the Eliot/Brooke storyline cost AMC a really decent actor (David Beecroft) who could have been valuable to the show in the years to come.

Honestly, the only thing I remember from Elizabeth Page's brief HW'ing tenure was a BTS story about how she (allegedly) hit Agnes Nixon over the head with a rolled-up script or something.  Like, who DOES that?

Edited by Khan

• Members

Did Daniel Cosgrove's Scott and Cornelius Smith Jr's Frankie have any scenes together?  I'm watching old episodes from 1987 and I had forgotten that Scott and Frankie were BFFs and actually lived in the Hubbard home when they were younger.

Edited by Jonathan

• Members

I don't recall but you've reminded me that Frankie and Bobby Warner were also buds, they were a few years older than me when I was a kid. I don't think they were ever on the canvas at the same time as adults.

• Members

That's too bad.  Missed opportunity.  I'm sure Lorraine Broderick, had she had more time to write the show, would've had Frankie and Scott interact.  Frankie and Scott fighting over the same girl (not that ho Randi) would've been interesting.

• Members

Was that all in the last half of 1999?  I have been intrigued by Elizabeth Page--she was initially listed as Agnes' co-HW, but pretty quickly it was her and Passanante as her co-HWers and then just Passanante as co-HW (and eventually HW which is when the [!@#$%^&*] hit the fan--stuff like "dog boy", the ghosts taking over PV and of course Passanante apparently broke her contract to quit early--why?--and moved to ATWT leaving AMC without a credited HW for two months).

• Members

Agreed about Beecroft--he also had good chemisgtry with Brooke (maybe some exec saw that and pushed for it to be more romantic). 

And wha??  I wanna hear more about this bomping Agnes story!  Maybe that's why she was gone so quickly lol

Pretty sure Becca/Scott was Agnes at leas in concept (Greenlee too).  As I've said before it felt like she was trying to bring back one of her initial young love stories--Becca being very much in the Tara model--but it just wasn't working (and maybe never would have worked around 2000)