AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Court jester Julie.

I was barely barely BARELY watching when Annie was first introduced through all of the stuff with Richie. I just remember having very little interest in her because she was created solely to further the SuperRyan narrative. Once she was put into the Chandler mix, that was it. The dynamics of devious JR, frosty Annie, aw shucks Scott, and pink flannel Marissa bumbling around the mansion shot some life into the show, and even though AMC was far from perfect, the show as a whole was watchable for the first time in foreverrrrrrrr. Dave'n'Don did all right by the show, as far as I'm concerned.

Also - it's so good to see you around these parts again, Eric!

Edited by All My Shadows

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wonderful photos.

Thanks All My Shadows.  I actually really appreciated how the Richie stuff was done (I think it started under Brown/Esensten?)  For well over a month he was a bartender at Krystal's who honestly I just thought was a bit player--he had a few lines, seemed like a good guy, etc.  So I was genuinely surprised when it was revealed that he was a villain stalking Babe, etc--

• Members

I only watched AMC during the first run of Cecily and I agree with All My Shadows - she was just fun, lively, and clearly intended to be the counterpoint to Julie. The actress went by Rosa Langschwadt in that first run if I remember correctly. I'm trying to recall without the help of Google. 

The characterization of Julie changed pretty significantly right before Cecily arrived when Lauren Holly replaced Stephanie Winters. To be honest, Julie never interested me under either actress but I only watched from maybe late 85 to spring 87. Maybe Holly brought some fire to the role after that.

• Members

Is the picture above of John Danielle and Lisa Wilkinson from the first time they married or the second time?   I cannot even remember if they had an onscreen wedding the first time or not.   I was watching the program, but it seemed that I always had to miss the wedding episodes on All My Children.    The first one that I remember seeing was the wedding of Frank and Caroline.

• Members

I started watching in 2006 so I was used to the Ryan focus but he dragged the show down for me from 2008 onwards. I loved Aiden and Greenlee together and then they ruined Aiden for him but MCE just shined as crazy Annie and adding her to the Chandlers was probably the only good thing about the last two years outside of the Hubbard family. Still a lot of lost potential and bad casting to me though. I hate ER was not back as Bianca (and I would have liked to see the added stakes and flashbacks with the history of JR and Bianca) and I never liked anyone playing Marissa. Then they wasted Frankie, Natalia and Brot while whoever played Randi never impressed me. 

I just watched the 1987 Chateau explosion episode. It looks like 1987 started out strong from the Angie/Jesse/Yvonne/Lester story into the explosion and then Mark's intervention. Was this a well received time for the show? 

• Members

I believe 2008 was when Brown/Esenten came on.  I had high hopes for them because, despite their tenures at GL and PC, I really did like their work at Loving and (after a bad start) The City.  But it seemed like they must have been controlled by Frons as their AMC was all about Greenlee (mostly nuGreenlee, no less), Kendall and Ryan.  Their other storylines weren't bad, and the re-introduction of the Hubbards was handled well (apparently with much input from Agnes Nixon, but they did write Angie well on Loving and The City), but that really did become the focus under them.

• Members

We talked about this in the LOV thread, but the way I remember it the black presence in their AMC run was substantial. Not only did they bring back the Hubbards from LOV/TC, but they also had Mario Van Peebles, Cassandra, Dre Woods, etc. all at once. Did I think those stories were genius or often even good, no, but there was evidence of a recurring commitment on their part. I'm sure where the Hubbards were concerned Agnes was also in the mix.

• Members

This channel posted Edmund and Maria's wedding last night:

It's kind of insane the amount of grandiose given to two characters who hadn't even been on the show for two years at this point. Also while pretty it's very boring. The most drama seems to surround Julia and Terrence's falling out at the wedding rehearsal. Also I didn't realize Maria and Dixie were friends.

Edited by Darn

• Members

87-89 were a bit of a transition time.  Numbers were down.  Jorn Winther returned as EP but just for an interim period (Julia Barr complained to SOD that they should have kept him as no one was given enough time to improve things).

Yes, I remember Nixon speaking out about the return of the Hubbards in soap rag interviews.  (Ironic, not too long after Charles Pratt would replace B/E and lock Nixon out of the writers' room)