AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've been immersing myself in a lot of old AMC. God, I miss it. So many thoughts.

You can very much tell Agnes' influence in 1990/1991. It went downhill from there, honestly. 1992-1995 are decent but they drop a lot of 'the old guard' and you lose a lot of recurring players, long-term veterans and it's taken over by unfamiliar people, albeit they become popular. It's a different show, but still familiar, mostly.

1995 into 1996 feels really "glamorized" and you can tell they're starting to try and mimic the Reilly-esque stuff and the show really starts to lose itself.

I don't have anything nice to say about 1997 and 1998 except like most soaps it just started sliding in quality and never recovered (which is when I can remember watching it when it originally aired).

Oh, also caught some random LOVING episodes. Yikes. Just ... yikes. (I'm talking circa 1991-1992 which isn't remembered as a good time if I recall). God bless Lisa Peluso doing her best bootleg Erica Kane. Love her. And I miss actresses like Kay Campbell (Kate), Mary Fickett (Ruth), Nada Rowland (Kate Rescott). LOVING feels like one big missed potential after another. Some good characters and castmembers but it's all so ... flat. It feels like a budget strapped poor-man's AMC/OLTL hybrid (at that point in time in the series, the earlier years sound much more interesting and better). Jean Dadario is as terrible of a director as she is as a producer. Just sayin' ... yikes.

And poor Genie Francis. First of all, the red hair didn't really work. I appreciate Ceara looking like a mess but lord ... Genie traded down big time going to Loving. The writing for Ceara also quickly went down in quality. Was Ceara just ABC Daytime's way of saying "we have Genie Francis on contract so *blows raspberry* to the other networks? AMC's Ceara is much better and I feel like they dropped the ball on her. I can see why they thought to purge Jeremy and Ceara from AMC (which had a ton of castmembers between 1989-1992) to Loving to boost some interest but it didn't end well ... LOL. 

Just some random thoughts ... lol

Edited by KMan101

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Re: the OLTL commercial at 18:35, I didn't know that MKA was ever on the show. I totally missed this s/l.

Would love to see more of the housing discrimination story with Tom and Livia (who is absolutely gorgeous here).

• Members

On Monday, January 5, 1970, a haughty teenager with a voluminous bouffant scoffed about her hometown, “Pine Valley isn’t exactly the corner of Hollywood and Vine.”

I'm gonna be one of those people: Erica wasn't in the first episode of All My Children.