• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Rev. Gordon (on "Good Times"): "Perhaps."

Please register in order to view this content

I, myself, would ignore the PP/TOLN run.  The production values were fine, but the storytelling was lacking.

At the same time, though, I don't think you could pick up exactly where the ABC run left off.  It's been seven-plus years, and maybe more in "soap opera time."  Much has happened since then, both off-screen and on.

Edited by Khan

• Members

AMC would definitely be lacking without DC and the character of Adam, but we all know that in soap world, gigantic titans don't live forever, and the least they can do is try to pick up the pieces and manage without him. They'd be foolish not to have Adam's death create tons of story possibilities.

Didn't the online revival do a flash forward of five years? That would put it as being set in 2016, so I think it would be perfect to just flash forward three years after that and just continue with 2019. It wouldn't be hard to factor in aspects of the revival series given that it only ran for about 40 episodes.

I've given a lot of thought since last night about the characters and cast I'd like to see on yet another go-round with the show. The biggest challenge would be that scaling it back to 30 minutes would mean less characters, which makes it hard to determine which legacy families would be represented and which would not.

At the very least, you need Erica's crew, the Martins, the Chandlers, and the Hubbards. They provided a great nucleus in the last few years of the ABC run and during the revival series. Maybe the key would be focusing on certain siblings and their offspring as regular characters as opposed to presenting big huge families stretching all over the canvas.

Erica's gang could be centered on Erica, Bianca, and Miranda. Kendall and her kids are not necessary, except maybe her son with Ryan. Just for goodness sake, acknowledge that maybe Spike isn't his actual fooking name or maybe even have him say straight-up that his mom was a goddamn idiot and that he changed his name upon turning 18 and enrolling at PVU.

Keep Joe and Ruth around as long as humanly possible to be head of the Martin family. Have the new and improved MEK back as Tad. Maybe Dixie's there, I don't know. I actually really enjoyed Amanda and Jake, but I'd have them happily married offscreen. Their son Trevor could be on the canvas, though, also returning home to start at PVU. He could be a friend, rival, or lover of not-Spike Lavery. I'm ready to completely ignore Tad's add-on daughters from near the end of the show's run. MAYBE keep Jenny so that we can see him as father to a hellraising daughter (maybe she idolizes Erica?). I have always been deeply in love with Jamie Martin, so he's back.

The Chandlers have to be in a state of chaos at the onset of a new series because they just absolutely have to pick up upon Adam's death. Brooke is still there, and we also have JR, but I think Scott needs to be there, too. There was some good stuff with those two pitted against one another in the last year or so on ABC, and they would be wise to capitalize on that. Colby and AJ are needed.

The Hubbards are so easy because they'd done a great job resetting and developing this family before the ABC cancellation. Angie, Jessie, Frankie, Randi, and Natalia, with the explanation given that Natalia and Brot broke up.

Opal and Peter are back. I liked Carter Anders, so I'd bring him back on a recurring basis until he's tied in enough to be a major player. I'm envisioning conflict between Carter and Frankie, exacerbated by a burgeoning romance between Carter and Natalia, who also has another love interest (new character). I'd also bring back Francesca James, but this time she recurs as Kelly Tyler, who has moved back to Pine Valley with Linc, who also recurs.

I'd also do what they tried to do with Michael Nouri as Caleb and cast an 80s hunk as Erica's new man, except this time it's one who is actually still somewhat hunky. Patrick Duffy or someone like that.

So your cast of characters would look like this:

Contract/major

1. Erica Kane
2. Bianca Montgomery
3. Miranda Montgomery
4. Mark Lavery (not-Spike named himself after deceased great-uncle Mark)
5. Tad Martin
6. Dixie Cooney
7. Trevor Martin
8. Jenny Martin
9. Jamie Martin
10. Brooke English
11. JR Chandler
12. Scott Chandler
13. Colby Chandler
14. AJ Chandler
15. Angie Hubbard
16. Jessie Hubbard
17. Frankie Hubbard
18. Randi Hubbard
19. Natalia Hubbard
20. Opal Cortlandt
21. Peter Cortlandt

Recurring/minor
1. Joe Martin
2. Ruth Martin
3. Kelly Tyler
4. Linc Tyler
5. Carter Anders
6-10. New characters to interact with existing characters

• Members

tomorrow on Decades

THE JOAN RIVERS SHOW - SUSAN LUCCI, AGNES NIXON, FELICIA BEHR, AND MORE "Susan Lucci reveals her favorite moments from the Soap world, life behind-the-scenes, and her audience's response to Erica Kane. Then, Agnes Nixon and Felicia Behr join to discuss the writing and producing process of All My Children."

• Members

Been away from this place for a long time. Good to see some familiar faces still posting here!

I am 50/50 on a reboot. It would almost be better to leave its legacy in the past, perhaps stream classic episodes as opposed to a new production.

YouTube now has most episodes (with some gaps) from the 1990s, the heyday where I fell in love with this show. I am watching 1991 episodes leading up to Natalie in the well. 

This is is how I want to remember AMC by. Every character with a richness and humanity to them. However, Ceara was such an air hog at this time 

Please register in order to view this content

even though the story of her history with her father is heart breaking. 

• Members

Hope both AMC and ONE LIFE return and to hour formats.   It would be a good idea to maybe rerun the last week of ABC's  AMC and ONE LIFE, and if they continue the stories on the reboots, rerun those as well, then go to a special episode of each maybe 90 min or 2 hrs, as a catch up of each series, then start off in present day after that.  

• Members

If it comes back, I hope it does so slowly. For one, OLTL should not be a package deal. Let AMC build it's audience with a couple half hours a week. Let it work through the crooks and crannies and then if it becomes successful, an potential expansion and revival of OLTL can be discussed. Doing too much too fast would lead to failure.

• Members

I'm all for a taut, extremely well-written limited run series. I use "series" in the British sense, I say start small, assess, make 'em wait, return with another round of excellent episodes.

As much as I wish they'd harken back to the old days of After-School Specials and air some episodes on the network, I think now is certainly the right time to give streaming another go. My 89 and 90 year-old grandparents watched AMC from 1970 to it's ABC finale, EVERY day at lunch save for doctor appointments and vacations. They said they probably wouldn't watch it online, having to sit at a computer. And they didn't. They've never seen any of TOLN's episodes. I go to their house now and they're laid back in their recliners flippin' and skippin' all over Netflix and Hulu. What a difference a couple of years makes.

Edited by SFK

• Members

I’ve been watching January 1991 on YouTube and how amazing is to see still at this time Palmer was a front burner character. He is currently being poisoned and having memory lapses. 

I must say though, most of the airtime has been devoted to the Jeremy/Ceara/David Rampal stuff and it is so boring. I tell you, they were really hell bent on making Ceara work. Genie Francis must have had one hell of a high episode guarantee. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I know she is not necessarily a fan favorite, but I would welcome the return of Skye Chandler Quartermaine if AMC were revived. I believe Robin Christopher now lives a quiet life in Pennsylvania, but I enjoyed her portrayal of Skye and would welcome the character. I never took to JR or Colby in comparison to Skye or even Hayley (and we all know Kelly Ripa is not an option unless they maybe got her for a DC tribute episode). 

• Members

I was watching episodes where Skye is part of a vigilante group against people w/ AIDS , setting fire to Cindy's house in an effort to kill her.
It's difficult to like the character after that, even though she would show remorse for her actions.

As you said, Robin Christopher seems to have retired from acting, but would anyone be interested, if AMC returned,  in seeing Carrie Genzel back in the role??