AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

One more comment, what she calls bad direction to me seems intentional, and again a style she just didn't like. Agnes wrote Phoebe as a Broad Dickensian caricature, especially early on. Joe and Ruth on the other hand were meant to be the down to eaarth, realistic flip of that. It's not actor or director choices, it's what the characters were meant to be. Sheesh Deborah!

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I completely disagree about Maureen. I thought she was a poorly written alter and her going on the run with Aiden was just stupid and pointless. What a waste of money for them to have a location shoot with Aiden's ex!

I do agree that Edmund was ruined when he started drugging Maureen to force Maria to come out. I was a huge Edmund/Maria fan and I couldn't believe the writers would have him do that. It would've been more interesting for me if Edmund had turned to Brooke for comfort until Maria's memory returned.

Jonathan killed Edmund because of his brain tumor (yeah, it was the dumbest explanation ever!).

ITA. She clearly didn't like the element of humor and probably not the pace of the show either. The original Soap Opera Encyclopedia called AMC a fast-paced show by contrast to the more traditional ones that were on the air at the time. Also, AMC may not have touched on racial issues, but they did have a black couple from the start, Jesse's uncle Frank & aunt Nancy, who were close friends of the Martin family unlike most soaps, which ended up shoehorning in black characters who never really mattered to the town at large.

• Members

Well exactly (though even in All Her Children Agnes says she regrets she hasn't given them much story and, this was 1975, talks about the big story she finally has set up for them). But to complain about it too when, at the time, only OLTL had really done such stories at all - an Agnes soap - is beyond petty.

The thing with jonathan killing Edmund is he didn't even have any connection to Edmund unlike the others he threatened, but I seem to remember it was accidental. Or something.

Carl, thanks for the Crack article - I can't imagine SOD asking an actor today if they'd ever snorted cocaine before... (or even many actors doing so much research)

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

She was Hope on GL as well as AW, off and on for about 5+ years. I think she was also on How to Survive a Marriage around the same time.

She looks a fair amount younger than Julia Barr. I wonder how viewers at the time felt about the recast.

I still never remember whether it's "Ann" or "Anne."

• Members

Julia was on RH at the time, so I figure some viewers might have been wondering what was going on at ABC! Speaking of recasts, it's kind of strange tat in the article, they mention Stephanie Braxton's plans to leave the show, but the cast list has Karen Gorney back as Tara. Her return must have been announced between the set visit and the printing of the article.

I love the way Richard Van Vleet is looking at John Danelle in that picture. Fruck, anyone?