Toups

AMC Tribute Thread

One more comment, what she calls bad direction to me seems intentional, and again a style she just didn't like. Agnes wrote Phoebe as a Broad Dickensian caricature, especially early on. Joe and Ruth on the other hand were meant to be the down to eaarth, realistic flip of that. It's not actor or director choices, it's what the characters were meant to be. Sheesh Deborah!

I liked Maureen mostly because of her relationship with Aidan, and because it meant they weren't going back to the long-suffering, weepy, sanctimonious lady of Wildwind. Unfortunately the stories for Maureen/Maria pretty much sucked.

They never should have put her back with Edmund, even after she did get her memory back. They could have found a new love interest for her.

Agreed. What was so wrong about that too, was it was clear that the show had given up on Edmund by that point. Wich is too bad, but... Of course under Rayfield we had Edmund suddenly lock up and try to drug maureen to force her to remember Maria, which really won him over. And then Edmund got in the accident--I mean did they even have more than one second of being happy as a couple when Maureen did become Maria again? What a poorly toild story (and then Edmund was killed for a reason I still can enver remember by jonathan... ugh)

I completely disagree about Maureen. I thought she was a poorly written alter and her going on the run with Aiden was just stupid and pointless. What a waste of money for them to have a location shoot with Aiden's ex!

I do agree that Edmund was ruined when he started drugging Maureen to force Maria to come out. I was a huge Edmund/Maria fan and I couldn't believe the writers would have him do that. It would've been more interesting for me if Edmund had turned to Brooke for comfort until Maria's memory returned.

Jonathan killed Edmund because of his brain tumor (yeah, it was the dumbest explanation ever!).

I just get the feel she simply didn't get the show. Agnes' strength has always been to use soap tropes like amnesia, etc, but in intelligent ways. Reading the story for other soaps at the time, particularly Irna Phillips late stuff, I simply don't buy what Deborah is saying in her first two paragraphs (only with Harding Lemay's work I suppose, where he did consciously set out to avoid soap melodrama cliches). She doesn't really give many examples of where these other soaps avoid the cliches. It is true though, again that many vet soap fans were thrown by the mix of story styles in AMC, from broad comedy, to slightly cliche love stories, etc, and it sounds like Agnes, Washam and crew, didn't really find a way to make these styles mesh better together till later on.

She mentions how interracial concerns are of importance, and MC didn't touch much on them early on, though of course OLTL did, but I don't see other soaps of the time doing much with them either. Even Lemay's AW was more about intereconomical issues. And I don't agree that intereconimcal (or I'd just say class issues) ever truly became irelevent to modern Americans, even today. In fact I wish soaps would deal more with them now, where everyone seems rich, or at least very comfortable.

ITA. She clearly didn't like the element of humor and probably not the pace of the show either. The original Soap Opera Encyclopedia called AMC a fast-paced show by contrast to the more traditional ones that were on the air at the time. Also, AMC may not have touched on racial issues, but they did have a black couple from the start, Jesse's uncle Frank & aunt Nancy, who were close friends of the Martin family unlike most soaps, which ended up shoehorning in black characters who never really mattered to the town at large.

Well exactly (though even in All Her Children Agnes says she regrets she hasn't given them much story and, this was 1975, talks about the big story she finally has set up for them). But to complain about it too when, at the time, only OLTL had really done such stories at all - an Agnes soap - is beyond petty.

The thing with jonathan killing Edmund is he didn't even have any connection to Edmund unlike the others he threatened, but I seem to remember it was accidental. Or something.

Carl, thanks for the Crack article - I can't imagine SOD asking an actor today if they'd ever snorted cocaine before... (or even many actors doing so much research)

Edited by EricMontreal22

Original Brooke! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her on AMC. The actress was also on GL as Hope Bauer at one point, right?

Anyway, I've been watching some Greenlee/Leo lately and came across one of my favorite scenes with them:

She was Hope on GL as well as AW, off and on for about 5+ years. I think she was also on How to Survive a Marriage around the same time.

She looks a fair amount younger than Julia Barr. I wonder how viewers at the time felt about the recast.

I still never remember whether it's "Ann" or "Anne."

Julia was on RH at the time, so I figure some viewers might have been wondering what was going on at ABC! Speaking of recasts, it's kind of strange tat in the article, they mention Stephanie Braxton's plans to leave the show, but the cast list has Karen Gorney back as Tara. Her return must have been announced between the set visit and the printing of the article.

I love the way Richard Van Vleet is looking at John Danelle in that picture. Fruck, anyone?

That same couch I think had a photo with the two of them goofing off with Candice Earley. To be truly "relevant" to the late 70's they should have had a story about a threesome and the fallout...

I keep forgetting about how much work Abigail Spencer has had since vanishing from Pine Valley around ten years ago (Becca never had an exit did she?). I guess because I keep expecting Kathie Lee to pop up and say she got her friend all these jobs too.

http://gofugyourself.com/well-played-abigail-spencer-2-07-2011

Becka was such a non character to me, I was surprised how much I liked her on Mad Men.