AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah! I haven't gotten far yet but I'm watching Stranger Things right now and had to break my lurk streak in order to share that part of the second episode featuring a clip of '84 All My Children (an extended version of the clip from the preview posted earlier) for those who don't watch 

Please register in order to view this content

Sorry for the little wobble - was filming on my portable easel T_T

Link! Spoiler alert for second episode of Stranger Things:

Edited by Leelea

• Members

I had a feeling, lol.

I don't watch ST, because sci-fi and horror aren't my cup of tea.  However, having seen the link that Leelea graciously provided upthread, I have to ask:

Also, I'm really curious as to how and why the Duffer brothers would write AMC into their show.  Were they or their mother fans or something?  Or maybe they just came across it on YT -- I'm sure it's out there -- and said, "Yeah, let's use that."

Usually, when people incorporate soaps in that fashion, they always get it wrong (either use a clip from the wrong year, mix up storylines or create them from whole cloth, mention characters or actors that never were on the show, etc.).  Ergo, it's just so intriguing to me how, for once, someone gets it right.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Good question!

I'm not sure the specifics of why they chose AMC in particular (I'm only almost done episode 2 now so maybe there is a specific reason I am not aware of yet!) but maybe it is because the Duffer brothers' mother or someone they knew then watched AMC in the 80s. I know that when I was little in the 80s to 90s, I vividly remember my mum and her friends from university watching All My Children so when I think back on adult TV shows in the 80s, I think of Cheers, All My Children, Dr. Who, Star Trek, and General Hospital!  

I would also be really interested in learning the exact reason why if there is one!  

Edited by Leelea

• Members

Ah, so, lol.

Thanks for the explanation, Leelea, and welcome to the board!

It probably isn't THAT big of a deal that they would use a clip from AMC (although, given the time period, I'd be more inclined to use a clip from GH or even Y&R).  I think I'm more amazed by the fact that they actually used a clip from 1984 and not '83 or '85 or whatever.  They took the time to get that right, and to me, that's incredible.

Meanwhile, I'm STILL smarting from "The Nanny" and their egregious Y&R reference, having Fran say Snapper Foster and Ashley Abbott had had a baby which was then stolen from her.  (It was clear no one who worked on TN had ever watched Y&R.) That's how particky I am when it comes to non-soaps referencing real soaps.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Thank-you!!

And I think being particular is a good thing, especially when it comes to shows trying to recreate a really specific era to emerge the viewer in. When a show makes a mistake, like The Nanny's incorrect Y&R reference you mentioned, I think that can break the created reality, even just for a moment. ST appears to take pains in making their world feel like 1983 (S1) and 1984 (S2) and to me, it does feel like what I remember of the 80s but with 2017 production values. Using accurate clips - like that AMC scene - really adds to the atmosphere, I think. I can totally believe that character would run across an AMC episode while stuck inside in the early afternoon while flipping through channels and it just makes this created reality feel that much more realistic  So I think being particular is good! 

Edited by Leelea

• Members

"The Nanny" did the same with B&B. Once C.C. refused to take an emergency call from Fran because the last time it had been about taping The Bold and the Beautiful, to which Fran responded that it was an emergency since Storm was about to marry Stephanie, and that she was his mother..... 

It's quite odd that they did these errors with those particular shows since actors from both shows appeared on "The Nanny", and Fran's nemesis, Heather Biblow (Pamela Anderson-Lee) even got a role on Y&R during one episode.

• Members

Don't get me wrong: I understand the need to sacrifice accuracy (especially about something that -- let's face it -- is not part of the mainstream) for the sake of a joke.  But, c'mon, you can be accurate AND STILL make the joke.  When it comes to soap operas, it's really not that difficult to do, lol.

Ironically, THAT would be a classic Brad Bell move, lol.

I actually remember the episode with Pamela Anderson, if only because Dorothy Lyman played the Y&R director who was directing Heather in a scene with Lyman's former AMC classmate, Peter Bergman.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Gah!  I've got to get on it.  Netflix sent a nice little DVD box set of Stanger Things S1 along with The Crown and OITNB S4 last SAG award season and I have yet to watch.  Everyone I know has already seen it or is too chicken to watch with me and I kinda don't want to marathon it alone.

Her IG warms my heart, I <3 everything she posts on GP.

I also follow Victoria Wyndham.  I wish Julia Barr, Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser, Linda Dano, and Marj Dusay (for starters) had accounts.