AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

First of all, in Dottie's original run, she did not even know Jessie or Angie because they had not been introduced.

Dottie originally was a little girl. Her father, Dr. David Thornton, was in love with Ruth Martin. David's wife (Edna) came to town with Dottie. David did not even know that he had a daughter. Dottie was sweet, but she could be bratty at times. Someone put poison in someone else's tea. However, Dottie switched the cups of tea when no one was looking, and David was poisoned.

I don't remember what happened to Dottie after that. Edna stayed in town. When Palmer was giving an elaborate ball, she became depressed because she had not been invited. She met a man from Texas named Hank Ferguson. They eventually married and moved to New Orleans.

Several years later, Dottie returned to Pine Valley. She had basically run away. She was wild, although I think that the writers may have eventually stated that she exagurated about her life in New Orleans. She bragged about going to the Quarter to hear the jazz bands. She became friends with Jessie.

Edna later came back to Pine Valley also. Hank had died, and she inherited his fortune. One storyline that was begun but was later dropped was that Dottie was developing an eating disorder. Edna insisted that she follow a strict diet because she was getting overweight (although the actress playing Dottie was not big at all).

Edna, feeling sorry for Dottie, began to pay Tad to date Dottie. Dottie feel in love with Tad, who did not love her. He felt sorry for her, so he eventually married her.

Jessie and Dottie eventually ran to New York together. There was no romance between them, although I think that Angie may have been uncomfortable.

The second actress to play Liza was Alice Haining. Liza was working at the television station, as was Dr. Cliff Warner. Cliff had a medical program, and Liza worked on it (maybe as a producer). She fell in love with Cliff. She later realized that he would only love Nina (who, I think, was married to Matt Connelly at the time). She received an offer to move to Baltimore to produce a program, and she left.

Alice is a wonderful actress. I attended high school with her, and her older sister was in my class. The whole family is creative and talented, and they were good friends with the late Christopher Wines (the original Jeff Martin on All My Children). I have seen her in many plays at her college (after I had graduated) and in professional theatre. I feel that the soap opera producers always miscast her. She was always cast in a unsympathetic role (although Liza had softened toward the end of Marcy Walker's run and continued to be pretty nice when Alice played her.)

I don't know anything about her role on Search for Tomorrow except that she played a record producer. She then joined Loving as a sick girl who was trying to hold on to her husband (I can't really remember, but it may have been Curtis Alden.). She then was on One Life to Live as Alice Johnson. Alice was one of the more devout members of Mitch Lawrence's cult, and she was a sicko. She tried to burn Cassie Callison Coronol at the stake. She also had Allison Perkins locked in her room. (Can you believe that Allison was one of the nicer members of the cult at that time, and she tried to talk the crown out of hurting Cassie?)

She was then cast as Liza #2 on All My Children. She later joined As the World Turns in another unsympathic role.

Alice in real life is the perfect ingenue. Yet (maybe because she was attracted to these roles), she was cast in the soap operas in unsympathetic roles.

She would have been the perfect Hillary Wilson. (I hated the actress who played Hillary!)

• Members

danfling,

I remember watching an AMC episode from late 1984 on the WoST site (now defunct); in it, Liza is played by Alice Haining.

Liza is at the Glamorama - but I can't remember if she was working there or a patron waiting on her appointment. What I do remember is Daisy walking in for an appointment and getting into an argument with Liza, ending in her pouring a big bowl of hair dye (or some hair product) on Liza's head before storming out!

Daisy must have been angry with Liza over the Cliff situation, I guess.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

David put the poison in Edna's tea before Dottie switched the cups.

I don't remember Dottie hanging out with Jesse at all and I think you've confused her with Tad's sister Jenny. I know Jesse didn't run off to New York with Dottie, but he did follow Jenny there after Liza falsely accused him of rape. Dottie went on the run later on with Tad during the call girl story and they ended up in New York so maybe that's what you were thinking of.