AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember all of the soap magazines talking about the "May-December" romance between Erica and Charlie (which is a much nicer term than 'cougar' IMHO). There was a lot of talk, IIRC, about how much older Erica was than Charlie, he was her former romantic rival's son, he was her ex-husband's son, her ex-lover's grandson, etc., etc. The funny thing is that Charles Van Eman was a whopping 10.5 years younger than Susan Lucci. Hell, Charles Van Eman is OLDER than Vincent Irizarry and no one batted an eye at Erica and David together in terms of their ages!

• Members

^ Yes! That was just bad casting and TPTB thinking we'd all forget when Charlie was born. SMG was 15 when she started on the show in 1993 as Kendall, and Christopher Lawford was 38. blink.png In 1993, Kendall should have been 24, and Charlie should have been barely in his 20s. Obviously Charlie was SORAS'd because otherwise he would have been too young for an engagement with Erica in 1991, but still... Lawford and Geller were just the wrong ages for their roles.

• Members

As time passed I got the impression they hoped viewers wouldn't actually know how Charlie was related to the Martins, specifically. There was this weird hybrid where it seemed to be implied that Tad/Charlie/Jake all grew up together and around the same age.

• Members

You have to understand, though, I come from GUIDING LIGHT, where Reva Shayne, the self-professed "Slut of Springfield," virtually slept her way through the entire Lewis clan. As long as Charlie and Erica weren't related by blood, I was okay with their pairing (although I certainly do understand where you're coming from, ellabelle, don't get me wrong).