AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I felt like Erica never came out on top with Greenlee. Greenlee outed her daughter, started Fusion in a direct effort to ruin Erica, almost killed Erica-though it was technically David's doing to take it so far-by having her plane messed with, almost killed Erica's grandson, then caused Kendall to prematurely give birth due to stress or whatever. Thanks to the atrocious decision to make her Jack's daughter, she was always forgiven and portrayed as a victim, yet Erica was evil whenever she did anything. I really felt the Montgomery brothers were the undoing of the Erica Kane character. She went from a totally self-absorbed career-driven diva to a sometimes amusing, yet ultimately boring wife and mother. 

• Members

When Erica came back to PV for good after spending most of the early 80s in her own orbit, it was like they decided to hit a reset button on the character. Susan had entered her 40s, Erica's main motivation couldn't be stardom anymore because they'd done it, and all of the women around her were getting married and having children. Part of me wonders if she would've lasted had they not tied her down with a child and more long-term suitors, especially as soaps as a whole became more family-oriented in the late 80s and early 90s. In the 70s, she was selfish, impulsive, and desperate with no regard to anyone or anything. By the early 80s, she was a hot mess trying to make an enviable reputation for herself professionally and personally. Neither character type could be a leading lady in the early 90s, especially at her age.

• Members

An online "friend" of mine who used to be involved with AMC has mentioned and recommended a book to me that I'd never heard of, though with the caveat that he thinks the gossip and talk in it is only about 60-70% right (but that seems like a decent ratio for a very biased tell-all).  Has anyone else read it?  I'll probably eventually get a copy with hopefully some Christmas money...  Apparently it's filled with details about the turmoil behind the scenes on AMC (and a bit at OLTL) in the second half of the 1990s--including the firing and rehiring of McTavish and the EP shuffle... 

http://www.mondocult.com/articles/makeup.html

http://www.makeupandmisery.com/

SOAP OPERAS ARE DYING OFF. But  years  before  the funeral began, veteran makeup man Norman Bryn was embalming Divas in front of the camera, while dueling with some behind it too!

Makeup & Misery: Adventures in the Soap Factory relates  Norm’s  five-year  cosmetic  chronicle  doing simultaneous  duty at All My Children for Disney/ABC and NBC’s Saturday Night Live.  Stars including the late Phil Hartman, Susan Lucci, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kelly Ripa appear in this frank behind-the-scenes look at network TV production from the viewpoint of the makeup artist.  Facelifts and friendships, hirings and firings, death, politics, Emmys, unions, and the rivalries among cast and crew  drive this story of the decline of Daytime Serials right up to 2009.  Slashed budgets, falling ratings, the threat of Reality-TV and the  internet  paint  a  vivid  picture  of  the  changing fortunes of soaps and the TV business in general.  This “makeup memoir” is a must-read for would-be cosmeticians, actors, and of course soap fans.

• Members

Sounds very interesting and we know if you land a copy, you'll share the juice.

Wish more soap people would put pen to paper and really give an insight into the bts stuff.

So much of what is reported is a cover for what really went down...

Sure some Y&R people would have a ton of stories.

• Members

That's my fault but I know at least one major writer who I've chatted with a fair amount--a lot of stuff had to be completely off the record, certain things they wouldn't answer, when I did an official interview with them that I could pull quotes from for my grad essay, I had to agree to let those quotes be reviewed, etc--and that seems pretty typical of the majority of the people who were in the bizz.  I guess it's just about not burning any bridges cuz you never know what connection you might have for other possible jobs?

• Members

Just finished reading Ruth Warrick's 'Confessions of Pheobe Tyler' and thought I'd share a few tidbits.

Ruth was out of work after Peyton Place and was having her annual lunch with friend Rosemary Prinz, who told her she was being courted by Agnes Nixon for a new show.

Ruth reached out and asked for a role.

Agnes said the only thing suitable was a grandmother part and Ruth convinced her she could play the grandmother to an older teen.

Ruth said the money was not great, but she accepted on the proviso that she have a full year contract.

James Karen was dropped as Linc#1 because he looked too old to be Pheobe's son. Ruth doesn't say, but I think he may have been cast before her and their original plan was for someone older looking as Pheobe.

Paul Dumont was dropped because his French Canadian accent kept coming through.

Karen Lynn Gorney left for LA but hated the lifestyle. Second time around she was frustrated by Tara and the final straw was when she recited a poem on air in a sing song voice, not as intended. She left 'by mutual agreement'

Chris Hubbell Chuck #2 wasn't up to performing live on tape so was dropped.

The only cast member she really slammed was Paul Gleason (David Thornton) who she alluded to being disruptive on the set.

Edited by Paul Raven