AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I came here looking for this review as I wanted to pull quotes from it for a Masters thesis I'm doing about Nixon and AMC and soaps and critics (to put it in general terms), and remembered this being posted.  Re-reading it now is kinda hysterical. 

She REALLY doesn't hold back in the second half. It's funny this was in 1974 and the excellent (my fave as everyone here might remember) book All Her Children by Dan Wakefield was written between 1974-75 and all about his immense love for the show and how new and different it feels--they sound like they're talking about completely different shows. I am biased towards AMC and AGnes Nixon but I admit that AMC in some ways felt like a throwback--it used the classic structure ATWT introduced of a rich but troubled family vs a middle class but "good" family which was very old fashioned compared to what Nixon did when she started One Life to Live with its four urban fractured families (as well as the Lords but they were different than traditional soap rich families)--though of course that became lost by the 1980s, and even more to the point Nixon of course wrote the bible for AMC back in 63-65, so first.

However, I think the reviewer fails to realize that characters like Pheobe were *meant* to be somewhat caricatures in the classic Dickens sense--or that Nixon did use soap cliches but in a knowing sometimes even self referential way (although most people generally feel AMC didn't really come into its own--and gain better production values until the second half of the 1970s). As others have suggested this magazine also seemed to have an agenda against all the attention AMC was getting in the press compared to "their" shows. Anyway, thanks for posting this all those years back!

• Members

Thanks!  Really ANY critical reviews like this from AMC at ANY era (even recently), OLTL during the 60s/70s and the first Malone era and Loving would be of help for my focus.  As you say somewhere here... most of the soap press really wasn't offering critical views at all, so I know it's pretty obscure stuff, but...

Nice to see you again as well

Please register in order to view this content