• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, you have to be a bit cray to get a facelift to hold onto a man!! 😆

Margo was murdered, if I recall from my readings. 

ETA:

OK, I guess Margo was not murdered; she left Pine Valley after attempting to kill Anne via carbon monoxide.

No jail time??

Another question - was Margo Flax AMC’s first bona fide psycho??

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

Erica and Margo were NOT both involved with Jason.  Margo had a negative attitude about everything, and she tried to warn Erica about Jason.  (Margo agreed to allow Erica as her roommate at Jason's insistence.)   Her daughter Claudette was supposed to be the love daughter of Jason, and she had been (falsely) blackmailing him for years.    She kept Claudette in the finest private schools, her modeling days were coming to an end (due to age), and she was afraid that if Jason spent money on Erica (who was still married), she and Claudette would be competing with Erica.  Then Claudette became engaged to Spencer Montgomery, and Margo had the responsibility of paying for the wedding.

What was not known at the time was that Jason was not even Claudette's father.   Harry Flax, Margo's husband was.   Harry came to New York and began blackmailing Margo, who having been desperate for money, suddenly became more desperate.

The who-killed-Jason and the Dr. Jeff Martin murder trial storyline was good, but the resolution that Mona was the murderer was not very satisfying.

Suspects included Jeff, Erica, Margo, and Harry.

Kate had originally wanted Joe and Ann to pair up and marry.   However, he fell in love with Ruth (who was suddenly widowed).  Then Paul, who was long-thought to be dead, was discovered in Korea and returned.

Eileen Letchworth was very good in the role of Margo.   Margo later married Paul Martin (who, after returning to Pennsylvania from Korea, marrying and divorcing Ann, was on the rebound), but she had a great jealously of Ann.   She secretly had the facelift because she thought it would help her keep him.

After Claudette and Spencer divorced, Claudette came to Pine Valley.  (This was the first time that she had been seen.)   It was hinted that Claudette may have wanted Paul for herself and would steal him if she had the chance. 

It was never stated, but I have always suspected that Spencer Montgomery was related to Travis and Jackson Montgomery.

Edited by danfling

• Members

You start off by saying that Margo wasn't involved with Jason then go into detail to explain exactly how she was, in fact, involved with Jason. I don't understand.

Were Margo and Claudette on the show together for very long? From the sounds of it, they were not. I didn't know that Claudette appeared much later. I know she was still on for at least two years after Margo left town as she's listed in the closing credits of Tom and Erica's wedding from 1978.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

No, they were not involved with Jason at the same time.  It was not a triangle.   Margo HAD BEEN involved with him, but she only despised him.   Her whole attitude on life was terribly negative (except for daughter Claudette).

Edited by danfling

• Members

Ah, I see. That's basically what I meant, though. The very thing that's always drawn me to the character of Margo is the foreboding sorrow she carried with her, the loneliness, the aging, etc. Part of me wishes she had stuck around, but it's understood why a character like her doesn't stick around for long.

Whenever Krystal and Babe were introduced, I'd sorta projected what I'd read about Margo onto Krystal, and in my mind, there was always a sadness under the surface. Of course, the show itself really didn't give that impression, so it was mostly fan fiction in my head.

• Members

I want to see some of this, too! I'm glad we also have audio from Mary's death, but she seems to have been a popular character in the show's first five years. It's crazy because we usually just hear about Tara, Phil, etc. when it comes to the early days. We have some short scenes of her brother Dan (he was her brother, right?) out there, too, with Brooke, so there's that.

There's just this whole world of Pine Valley that existed in the 70s that was gradually wiped out in favor of the new characters that would come to form the show's core in the early 80s. And of course, the Cortlandts and Chandlers are important and beloved and became just as rooted as the show as anyone else, but my heart will always yearn for those first ten years.

• Members

Four members of the Kennecott family were shown:

Mary Kinnecott Martin, R. N.

Betsy Kinnecott

Dan Kiinnecott

Katie Kinnecott

The role of Mary was created by Jacqueline Bosworth.  She was first seen during Erica's abortion and cover-up.  The role was quickly assumed by Susan Blanchard, and she and the actor who played Jeff #2 (Charles Frank) fell in love and were married in real life.   It was Jeff and Mary who were initially to adopt Tad, but Mary developed an illness.   Joe and Ruth then decided to adopt him.   Some bad men came into the Martin home and murdered Mary.   Jeff began seeing images of her which he thought were ghosts.   Jeff then left for California.

Dan Kinnecott was probably the next one to come to Pine Valley.   Both Devon and Brooke chased after him.  He decided upon Brooke (after her break-up from Benny).   Devon was crushed and slept with Wally McFadden to prover her womanship to herself.   She became pregnant, married Wally, and later had an affair with Sean Cudahy.  She and Wally divorced, she left town, returned, tried to have a lesbian relationship with Dr. Lynn Carson, dated Jeff, then left to accompany Bonnie to Hollywood (where she was a popular child actress).

Betsy Kinnecott, just as her older sister was, was a nurse at Pine Valley Hospital.  She was best friends with Sybil Thorne and good friends of Dr. Clifford Warner and Nina Countlandt.  When Jeff returned to Pine Valley from California, everyone was afraid of how he would react in seeing Betsy (because they said she looked so much like Mary - but the two actresses did not look alike at all.)  Betsy never really had a serious boyfriend.  However, after Devon and Wally divorced, he fell in love with her.   I believe that she left town hoping that Wally and Devon would reunite (which did not happen)

Katie Kennecott was a nursing student.   She came to town but did not stay long.

• Members

She was only on from January to July 1991 . She was also a nurse and was involved in a triangle with Joey Martin and Emily Ann Sago. Emily Ann was going through an hysterical pregnancy and Joey was falling for nurse Katie. Emily Ann went crazy. Thought that Katie was responsible from her "miscarriage" and tried to poison her. Joey saved Katie who returned to Vermont.