Adele Thread

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In an era of overproduced generic pop music, she stands out due to her only selling point being her voice and ballads.

I think people were craving something different from the average run of the mill pop star, and Adele just struck that cord and came along at the right time.

21 is also a massive success in the UK, and was the #1 selling album in both the US and UK last year (worldwide overall too).

I do think her US fans are a bit more obsessive though, but she's equally as successful in the UK.

• Members

That's a good point. I guess it helps that Rolling in the Deep had such a beat and was almost anthemic (although her voice wasn't quite up to it). She also seems very down to earth.

I wanted to start a thread on British singers who were more successful in America, but I'm not even sure how many there are...

• Members

I thought her first album was better, but I do love both her albums and find her to be a great song-writer. My problem with Adele (not really her fault though) is that if she were black, singing the exact same soul music, nobody would be listening to her. Especially in the UK. Blue-eyed soul is so "in" again, but when you have equally talented black women making the same music, it goes unnoticed. Especially if you look like an Estelle or Fantasia. Hell, even Corinne Bailey Rae struggled with her second album and it was flawless.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I'm one of these fans that was upset that they've provided that great talent with such mediocre songs, as her covering the classics on various awards/tribute shows clearly show that she's a wonderfully-written-and-produced song away (i.e.: a major reason why Adele and the late Amy Winehouse are/were successful) from the success that she deserves.

• Members

The fact that she was able to score a diamond certified album this day and age is astounding. The last album released in the 00's to score that feat was Usher's 2004 Confessions album, which took 8 years to reach what Adele was able to do in less than 2 years.

21 also becomes the 21st album to cross the 10 million mark since the beginning of the soundscan era in 1991 (All albums prior to 1991 were not measured by soundscan).

http://www.billboard...008031432.story

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner