Recasts

• Members
no, speaking for me, since I made the original comment, the opening sucked. It was too busy and the visuals were horrendous. Its GL's defining opening, but artistically, it was leagues below the other soap openings of the 90s

Roman showed opposition to Will's choice at first but that lasted all of 5 minutes. They didn't really expound upon that

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think a lot of new soap openings of the early 90s were all that good. I hated OLTL's, Loving was decent but generic, ATWT's was depressing (although the graphics were nice). GH and AMC were probably among the best, but I think GL's worked too.

• Members

Victor should have definitely showed opposition to Sonny and Will, but not because of Sonny being gay. He shouldn't want Sonny anywhere near Sami's son and should actively be putting a stop to it at all costs. In fact, he should also be responsible for destroying Sonny's businesses to manipulate him into working at Titan. He also would have never been so unresponsive to Brady being such a loser. He would have kicked his ass to the curb a long time ago. The way Victor is written is one of the shows biggest problems because the solution would be so goddamn simple.

• Members
The first OLTL was bad but the mid 90s one was great. AW had a decent one as did Sunset Beach and PC later in the decade. Y&R and Days of course were classics. There was nothing special about ATWT, but GL's visuals were just horrid. The theme was the best part of it

• Members

Is the Satin sheet OLTL intro the one with the couple popping a bottle of champagne? I didnt think it was that bad. Kind of similar to the Loving Intro from the early 90ies with suggestive soapy moments being set to music.

I think the GH opening in the 90ies was the best from that era.

• Members

That OLTL opening felt generic and cheesy to me, and ill-suited to the show at that point. People see sexy lingerie bodies and an allusion to ejaculation, and then the actual stories on the show are about child abuse, gang rape, and AIDS.

• Members

Trivia: Your very own SFK dubbed that opening "Satin Sheets" (based on the closing credits, actually) back in the day, and it stuck in the online soap community. tongue.png That and AMC's "White Linen".

• Members

That GL opening confused the hell out of me as a kid in grandma's kitchen. I did love seeing the different head shots during the closing credits, though (Tina Sloan's large, pimp-like grin being my fave).

I've been watching a lot of 1979 ATWT, 1980 AW, and 1983 AMC, and the number one thing I've noticed is how much more often soaps recast in the olden days. On some soaps in this time period, at least one, I'd be willing to bet that most adult characters were on their second or third actor/actress. Recasts happened in the early 2000s, but I feel like it wasn't as frequent.

Archived