• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

THE YOUNG MARRIEDS

OCTOBER 5, 1964-MARCH 25, 1966 ABC

QUEEN'S POINT a suburb of PORT CHARLES, NY(GENERAL HOSPITAL)

Mr. Coleman...Frank Marvel

Jimmy Dahl...Ken Metcalf...65 +Jill

Irene _____Forsythe...Irene Hervey...64-65 Honey West

...Constance Moore...65

Henry Forsythe,. ..Walter Brooke 64 FC,DAL,BP,PB,TBD, 3STH,OMF

Dr. Dan Garrett...Paul Picerni...64-66 CAP

Susan______ Houghton Garrett...Peggy McKay GH, LOL,DOOL,FBOW

Gilly Gillespie...Robert Hogan...65-66 AW,ATWT,GH,DOOL,COLBYS,PP,OLTL,SOMH

Lena Karr Gilroy...Norma Connolly...64-66 EON,GH,MHMH

Roy Gilroy...Barry Russo...64-66

Peter Houghton...????????? + Susan, father Jerry

Jerry Karr...Pat Rossen...64-66

Mr. Killeran...Ben Astar

Mr. King... Dort Clark ATTL, 3STH

Buzz Korman...Les Brown, Jr. ...65-66 +Jill

Henry Korman...Frank Maxwell... 65-66 GH,RTPP,GG

Martha ____Korman...Maxine Stuart...65-66 GH,EON,FHY,Y&R,PP

Julie Kovacs...Meredith MacRae ... RIT

Jill McComb...Betty Conner...65

...Brenda Benet...65-66 WTHI,DOOL

Dr. John Meyers...???? ...??? eye doctor

Anne McComb Reynolds...Lee Merriweather...64 AMC,TCH

...Susan Brown...64-66... GH,PC,Y&R,Santa,RTPP,FTR,BP,ATWT,EON

Walter Reynolds...Michael Mikler...64-66 dated Carol W. GL

Mrs. Spencer...???????...65-66...boss, Buzz

Philip Sterling...Ted Knight...65... TCH,Primetime

Liz Forsyth Stevens...Floy Dean...64-66 DOOL,MS

Mady ____Stevens...Maria Palmer...64-65

Matt (Crane) Stevens...Charles Grodin...64-65

...Scott Graham..64, .65-66

Paul Stevens...Mike Stefani...64-66

Theo Stevens...Don Randolph...64-66

Carol West...Susan Seaforth (eventually Hayes...65-66 DOOL, GH,B&B,Y&R,SUN

Aunt Alex...Irene Tedrow ...65... MHMH,PP

???...Michael Christian...              PB,PP,GH

???...Barbara Boles

Whose Aunt was Alex? Did she have a last name?

• Members

DC,        The Young Marrieds was created with Matt and Liz to be the Main story line, with Walter and Ann as Sub Story 1 and Dan and Susan as Sub Story 2.  As you know when the show premiered Matt and Liz were not yet married.  The characters were created to be around indefinitely.  Jim Elward became disenchanted with the couple in the first few weeks of the show.  He felt they were poorly cast and had no chemistry between them even with casting changes for Matt, they just didn't work as a likeable couple.  While this was going on he found out that they were recasting the role for Ann.  Again he was not happy but had very little to say.  As he continued to write script after script, Susan Brown took over the role of Ann from Lee Merriweather.  Suddenly the chemistry between Mike Mikler and Susan Brown had the show take on a new dynamic.  He quickly realized that they owned the show and there was no doubt that he was doing to eliminate the young married Stevens right after their wedding and promote Ann and Walter Reynolds to the Main Story line and Dan and Susan to Sub Story 1.  To compensate for this, he created the cast and characters of Ann's sister Jill and her beach bum friends  Buzz Coleman and Jimmy Dahl as Sub Storyline 2.  ABC gave Jim total approval as they were not happy with the initial ratings of the show.  So, before the first 13 weeks of the show were over, Matt and Liz were married, honeymooned, and received a job offer that took them away from Queens Point.  The show took on a dramatic change.  When Jim had left as creator and writer, he left with a 6 month projection.  ABC liked and approved the projection as did new writer John D. Hess who used the projection with only minor changes.

By the way, in The Young Marrieds novel, Matt and Liz did not exist.  The only characters to appear in the book were Walter, Ann, and Paul Stevens as the central story (Ken & Peggy Mosley and David Cantini.  Dan and Susan were briefly in the book as Peggy's friends.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

To all who may be interested, I just returned from California where I made an appointment with the Film and Television Archive at UCLA.  They are a great group of people and have 6 episodes of THE YOUNG MARRIEDS.  2 of the episodes are on 35 MM film and are not available for viewing, however, they do have the other 4 on DVD which were made available to me.  It was wonderful taking a step back in time and watching these perfectly preserved episodes.  What a wonderful experience I will always remember.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

THE YOUNG MARRIEDS

OCTOBER 5, 1964-MARCH 25, 1966 ABC

QUEEN'S POINT a suburb of PORT CHARLES, NY(GENERAL HOSPITAL)

Lieutenant Bauer    H.M. Wynant     1965

Simon Benjamin   ...   Jon Lormer       65, PP, Miss Susan 

Phil Buckley.... Dennis Patrick   64 OLTL, SS, DS, RIT, DAL, MHMH, SOM

......Ted Knight     64      TCH,  MTM Show

Buzz Coleman   Les Brown, Jr.  +Jill   65-66

Henry Coleman...Frank Maxwell   GH, RTPP, GG 65-66

Martha ____Coleman...Maxine Stuart...65-66 GH,EON,FHY,Y&R,PP

Jimmy Dahl...Ken Metcalf...65 +Jill
Mr. Fisher  ....   Gavin Gordon     66

Irene _____Forsythe...Irene Hervey...64-65 Honey West

...Constance Moore...65

Henry Forsythe,. ..Walter Brooke 64 FC,DAL,BP,PB,TBD, 3STH,OMF

Aunt Alex "Garrett"..Irene Tedrow ...64-66... MHMH,PP

...Sara Taft          64

Dr. Dan Garrett...Paul Picerni...64-66 CAP

Susan______ Houghton Garrett...Peggy McKay   64-66 GH, LOL,DOOL,FBOW

Mrs. Gibbons  ...    Billie Bird       65   KL, YDIL

Gilly Gillespie...Robert Hogan...65-66 attorney AW,ATWT,GH,DOOL,COLBYS,PP,OLTL,SOMH

.....     Robert Osborne   1966

Lena Karr Gilroy...Norma Connolly...64-66 EON,GH,MHMH

Roy Gilroy...  Harry Millard   65                                                                                                                                          Barry Russo   64-66

Peter Houghton... John Lodge  66    + Susan, father Jerry

Skipper Jackson ....   David Pritchard    65

Sarabelle Jordan   ...   Sherry O'Neil     65-66

Jerry Karr...Pat Rossen...64-66

Dimitri Killeran  Ben Astar      65

Titus  King... Dort Clark   ATTL, 3STH   65-66

...   James Chandler    65 (temp)

Julie Kovacs...Meredith MacRae ... RIT        65

Jill McComb...Betty Conner...65

...Brenda Benet...65-66 WTHI,DOOL

.....    Mikki Jamison   65

..... Susan Albert   65

... Susan Yardley   66

Dr. John Meyers...???? ...??? eye doctor

Anne McComb Reynolds...Lee Merriweather...64 AMC,TCH

...Susan Brown...64-66... GH,PC,Y&R,Santa,RTPP,FTR,BP,ATWT,EON

Walter Reynolds...Michael Mikler...64-66 dated Carol W. GL

Mr. Rojas    ...Abel Franco..65-66..

Jeremy Smythe      ...   Berkeley Harris       65

Mr. Spencer   Peter Brocco       65.boss, Buzz

Liz Forsyth Stevens...Floy Dean...64-66 DOOL,MS

Mady ____Stevens...Maria Palmer...64-65

Matt (Crane) Stevens...Charles Grodin...64-65

...Scott Graham..64, .65-66

Paul Stevens...Mike Stefani...64-66

Theo Stevens...Don Randolph...64-66

Marian Taylor   ....   Lynn Wood       64

Carol West...Susan Seaforth (eventually Hayes...65-66 DOOL, GH,B&B,Y&R,SUN BE

Alma the doctor ...  Ann Morrison     64   GH

Felix      Ivan Bonar               65

Ginny             ...   Gina Trikonis       65  

Joanne  ???...   knew  Gilly

Bartender...   Bill Quinn        65   Dallas,  LHS

Bartender   ....    Benny Rubin          64

Bartender   ....    Julio Medina

Receptionist   ...   Mary Jane Canfield      65

???...Michael Christian...              PB,PP,GH

???...Barbara Boles

Most recent cast I've found for Young Marrieds.   

@BakerSq      Did any other actors appear?

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Yes they do.  I believe that they only have ABC soaps.  You can check out their website... Film and Television Archive at UCLA.  They are incredibly helpful and love when visitors use their services.  You must make an appointment because they have to pull the episodes you are interested in viewing.

• Members

This is for your Paul Raven.  Please note whoever reads this that all references to "Susan" are of Susan Brown who of course was Ann Reynolds.  Most of you who remember her know that she passed in August of 2018.  I was invited to her memorial service in Beverly Hills where I was asked to deliver her Eulogy.

DVD 1 – was probably from around October of 1965.  It contained Jimmy, Buzz, Gilly, Martha & Henry Coleman.

The episode took place shortly after Buzz and Jimmy were arrested following the robbery and beating of Mr. Spencer (the owner of the concession stand where Buzz worked).  Both were in jail and Gilly was there to bail Buzz out and to question Jimmy to see if he would take the rap for the robbery and exonerate Buzz.  Although it was good to see the episode, it was not particularly interesting.  The only thing I actually got from it was that I had not remembered what a handsome kid Jimmy Dahl was.  He was actually a very sexy Bad Boy.  I’m surprised that when I watched I didn’t take more notice of him, but I guess that was because I was so crushing on Walter.  I’m also surprised his acting career did not go further than it did.

DVD 2 – Was a GREAT episode.  It took place during the final week of TYM.  Susan looked absolutely beautiful!  Walter’s vision was greatly impaired by this time.  The teaser had him laying on the sofa placing eye drops in his eyes.  Of course he was not doing a very good job doing it and it frustrated and made him angry.  He was further frustrated when the phone rang and he had to wipe his eyes (and face) and answer.  It was Carol calling trying to get Walter out of the house and to meet her at Hoby’s for some dinner.  After a great deal of convincing, his anger tempered and he agreed to meet her there. 

While this was going on, Ann and Jill were having a confrontation at Ann’s apartment.  Jill was not speaking to Ann because Jill had, for the second time, seen Ann in Gilly’s embrace.  Of course both times were innocent comforting embraces but of course Jill just happened to walk in to see them.  Obviously dressed for an evening out, again Ann tried to convince Jill of that but to no avail.  Ann also learned that Jill had shared both embraces with Walter which also put Walter on the path to war with Gilly (his best friend).  During the conversation, the phone rings and it’s Gilly phoning Ann that he’s running later for dinner.  Ann suggest that she just meet him (also) at Hoby’s.  Jill is beyond infuriated to hear this.

Carol and Walter are sitting at a table having drinks.  (This scene was VERY reminiscent of a scene written months earlier in which Ann and Paul are sitting at a table in Hoby’s having drinks when Walter and Carol walk in and a confrontation begins.  In fact, Hoby himself recalls that “evening” when the confrontation occurred.)  In the opening scene, Carol is holding Walter’s hand and confesses to Walter that she is in love with him and has been for a very long time.  Walter is oblivious to this and is in awe and shock.  Carol, being who she is, acknowledges that the love is unrequited and her reason for dinner was to tell Walter she will not be seeing him anymore.  That it is too painful for her to spend time with him knowing he does not feel the same.  Before Walter can respond, Gilly walks in alone, Walter’s and his eyes meet and WW3 is about to break out, then does.  By the way, at this time Robert Osborne is playing Gilly.  A very young and handsome Robert Osborne.  When Ann arrives, it confirms what Jill has been telling him and Walter and Gilly are in hand to hand combat.  Very tense and emotional to watch.

DVD 3 – To my great disappointment, is an episode that I already have.  I believe many have seen it in the past when it was on YouTube.  It’s the episode that is referenced in the episode with Ann and Paul and Walter and Carol meeting at Hoby’s and causing a raucous.

DVD 4 – Was an amazing episode for me to see in spite of the fact that Susan was not in it.  It was the first episode.  It follows the script to a “T”, which made it that much more fun to watch because of the visuals.  The first marvel I got out of the second and third scenes which were in the Reynolds home is what a massive set it was.  They did a wonderful job of Walter returning home from a meeting with Matt (Scott Graham), walking down the stairs and panning what seemed like an endless set.  First the livingroom,  then a stroll through the diningroom noticing the table is set for 6, then dropping off his sketches in his studio.  He then walks to the never seen stairs to the upper level to the bedroom.  This is the first time we see Lee Meriwether as Ann.  She does look beautiful and wore her hair exactly as Susan did.  One could see why it was so easy for Susan to slip into the role.  Actually, Lee was very good in the role.  Never thought you’d hear me say that I’ll bet.  The scene in the bedroom was word for word following the script for Lee.  Then, the second act, was the continuation of the party and Susan and Ann were in the kitchen preparing dinner for the guests (Matt and Liz—and meeting Liz for the first time).  Once again, Lee’s lines were word for word from the script.  That made me realize immediately why the role was too much for Lee.  She memorized the script lines.  That took me back to what Susan once told me.  “You don’t memorize lines, you learn them”  Lee was memorizing word for word.  I think she could not handle that.  But aside from that she had grace and even some humor.  Lots of intriguing facial expression bring question to the viewer.  When the guests arrive, Susan and Ann leave the kitchen and one can see again that the set is huge, as they can be seen walking directly from the kitchen, into the dinningroom and into the livingroom with Walter’s studio still in view.

After the dinner party, Matt and Liz are alone high on a hill overlooking Queens Point.  They sit on the ground and Matt pursues a reluctant Liz to marry him.  Matt is becoming somewhat frustrated by Liz’s apprehension but his libido is heating up (he too is a gorgeous man) and lowers Liz to the ground and almost tops her.  Viewers can immediately sense this is not your typical soap opera.  By the scene’s end, Liz is clay in Matt’s hands and she wildly accepts his proposal to marry him.

To my disappointment, obviously each scene ended up being longer than anticipated and the final scene between Walter and Ann was edited out.  It was such a strong and revealing scene as well.  It was never played out in any other episodes.

To make up for the lost scene and extra time,  The opening sequence of this first episode was extended  while the lampshade with Queens Point neighborhoods artwork on it, made several revolutions with TYM logo on screen for a longer than normal period.  At the end, a full roll of credits was run which I was grateful for since none of the other episodes had a credit roll.