Skins

AllMyDaysatGH

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Skins" as a title fulfills so many themes though, lol. It's pot, it's sex, it's your true identity, etc. They should have tried to play up those meanings instead of having American teenagers refer to "skins." Maybe they thought they'd introduce that slang to the US and in a year's time, ALLLL pot smokers will refer to their papers as skins. Who knows.

• Members

You're right, most don't. But some do, well some I know.

And changing the name of the show would have made it, probably, all together seperated from the other show. I think a lot of the buzz and hype around the show was that it was a a real replica of the british version Skins. If the name was different, it wouldn't be the same, IMO.

• Members

I don't know...I kinda disagree. I think it would have been in their better interest to separate it from the original as much as possible. A lot of people didn't and still don't realize that it's a US version of a UK show, and those that knew that are finding it hard to judge it for what it is and not in relation to the original. MTV should have just did their own dang thing.

• Members

I don't want it to be exactly the same as the UK's though...the U.S. version could have it's own little spin on things while still getting it's influence from the original. From what I read it's pretty much the exact same thing and some people think that's good but I think it's a bit of a mistake.

• Members

I don't think it's a complete mistake. But I agree on some level. The stories of the original are very, very good. And I think some of them are things that need to be told in an American version. The UK "Skins" really made an impact over there. So I think having a remake of the show here is a very good idea. It's not a carbon copy. THere will be differences. Hell, there already are. But having it be called "Skins" just gives it even more hype and attetnion, because of the fame and notoriety of the original.

• Members

It always makes me ashamed as an American, that the British have no problem importing Friends, Golden Girls, Lost, Flintstones, whatever..without having to remake it with a British cast. The US though I think outside of The Avengers with Diana Rigg and Patrick McNee 45 years ago just cannot contemplate importing a show with accents. There are occasional shows that do make it in syndication (Fawlty Towers, even Benny Hill) but it never is an option to just buy the British program and air it at 10 PM for some reason.

Archived