Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• Members

:lol::lol::lol:

Larry Fourdicks is the only one who looks like he could match my 31 years at minimum but as for everyone else... At any rate, to be running a soap opera at that age makes me wonder what the hell am I doing with my life. ^_^ Good for them! And Donna Mills gorgeous as ever (and yeah she looks under 30 ;) ).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not sure how but I missed this episode until now. It's really good. Leslie Charleson cuts through what could be a maudlin situation and makes you care about Iris and her self-destructive pain. I have to say I was very impressed by the guy who played Mark. Who was he? IMDB says Sam Wade? Did he leave or did they fire him?

And who was the rich woman bantering with the policeman? I loved that scene.

What a treat to see John Karlen. I guess this helps explain why he wasn't on Dark Shadows all that much in 1968. How large was his story on this show?

• Members

Sam Wade's contract was not renewed. From what I gather, TPTB thought he was too short for leading man material! He was replaced by David Birney, who skyrocketed to fame in the role. Sam Wade left acting and is now a professional photographer. He is a nice fellow.

Carl, the cop is Iris' brother Tom Donnelly. He is the same character who talks to Laura about the adoption in the last episode I placed on YT. The character was originally played by Robert Burr, the actor in this scene, before Albert Stratton assumed the part and played Tom until the end. The rich lady is Alex Porter, the mother of John Karlen's character John "Jock" Porter. Alex was played by the late actress Jan Farrand. Does she not have the most marvelous voice? I miss those rich, velvety theatrical voices actors once had when they were actually trained for diction and enunciation.

John portrayed this role after he left Dark Shadows, when Willie was shot while supposedly attacking Maggie Evans. On LIAMST, he was rich, spoiled playboy Jock Porter. Jock had impregnated Terry Andrews, who had an abortion by Dr. Jim Abbott. When Mia Elliott discovered what Jim had done, she fled San Francisco, and Jim was banished to New York until the last couple of months when actor Ron Hale assumed the role. John's role was not huge, although it was significant in that it was utilized to successfully exit Nancy Hseuh and Robert Milli off the series, along with Irna Phillips who quit due to CBS' interference.

• Members

Thanks for such great answers, saynotoursoap. I guess it worked out with David Birney but then after he left the role was a revolving door. If they'd kept Sam I wonder if they may have had more long-term success with the role, since they had to recast those 3 roles so many times. Then again David did take them to a high spot.

Mia and Jim were supposed to be a couple? I wonder how Ron Hale was in the role later on. I guess there wasn't enough time to know. What was his story at the end?

What finally happened to Alex and Jock?

You're right, she has a marvelous voice. I was hoping for a romance between she and Tom.

It's always weird seeing DS actors on other soaps, especially around this time. I always just associate them with RH and assume they go off in some bubble the rest of the time.