Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This soap sounds so different from others, and yet compelling. Too bad there's next to nothing of it on YT. From a 1968 CBS soaps promo, it was funny for me to see Donna Mills as the innocent young wife afraid that her husband will stray - when she would achieve her greatest fame in the future as Abby Fairgate Cunningham Ewing Sumner on Knots Landing - the type of woman a husband would stray WITH. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

In her memoir Untied, Meredith Baxter wrote about when she first began working with David Birney on Bridget Loves Bernie, he thought of himself first and foremost a great theatre actor who seemed to resent the fact that his greatest fame at that point in time was from being on the soap opera. Apparently he didn't take into consideration that not many people across the country could see him in a play, but they COULD watch him every day on TV, and that's why the soap had given him his greatest fame up to that point.

Ironically, today he is much better known to the general public not for his acting but the fact that he was once married to Meredith Baxter and the father of three of her five children.

• Members

Yes, that's the gorgeous Barbara Stanger.

According to the description on YT, this was a documentary produced in the early 70s about the making of an episode of a soap opera, and they included some of the finished scenes at the end. The poster purchased the documentary on eBay and it came without an audio track.

• Members

Thanks for finding that for us, AMS. Sucks to have no sound but this is still a treat. Betsy Chernak is on that top 5 or top 10 list of soap characters I've always wanted to see and never think I will. Now I guess I have at least, literally, seen her.

Imagine someone who looks like a normal person being cast on a soap role like that today.

Here's a brief Daytime TV piece on Linda Fidler Wendell, who took over a few months before cancelation.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/03/fidler.html