Announcement: New Memberships Suspended

Y&R: Old Articles

DRW50

• Members

Forgive me for sincerely asking this without scouring through the 702 pages of this forum, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of the actress who filled in as Lorie Brooks around March 1978 (I believe Jaime-Lyn Bauer was on maternity leave at the time). I could've sworn I read somewhere that the actress who filled in had formerly been part of the cast of "Another World," but I can't recall her name and don't recognize her.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DanMan869 said:

Forgive me for sincerely asking this without scouring through the 702 pages of this forum, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of the actress who filled in as Lorie Brooks around March 1978 (I believe Jaime-Lyn Bauer was on maternity leave at the time). I could've sworn I read somewhere that the actress who filled in had formerly been part of the cast of "Another World," but I can't recall her name and don't recognize her.

I wanna say Lezlie Dalton but I could be wrong. Nope I was wrong, it was Victoria Thompson. she played Janice Frame

Edited by will81

• Members
1 hour ago, will81 said:

I wanna say Lezlie Dalton but I could be wrong. Nope I was wrong, it was Victoria Thompson. she played Janice Frame

Will, you’re awesome—thank you! BTW, she unfortunately made a terrible Lorie Brooks. I hope she was much better as Janice Frame on AW!

• Members

Speaking of Lezlie Dalton, I love watching her in classic GL as Elizabeth Spaulding. She had a breathy Jackie Kennedy type voice and demeanor. She should have been brought back in later years of that show. I don't know if Dalton was ever approached or declined to return to daytime. I saw she had a short stint on Search For Tomorrow around 1982/83. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Sorry to reply to this conversation so late but wanted to reply to @AlexGrimaldi and share some more Italian clippings from Y&R.

Febbre d'Amore lost 1/3 of its audience in march 1991. The time they decided to do the first unfamous time jump (salto temporale). There was no reason to skip three years and half of the show and the aftermath of crucial storylines, expecially the Nikki Victor Ashley triangle and the Revenge of Jill against the Abbotts. The ratings were very good, the show  won a Telegatto Award in 1990 as favourite soap and was voted again in 1991 (competing with The Bold And The Beautiful and Loving in the category Best soap of the year). All of sudden, there were a new Jill, a new Jack, a new Ashley, 2 Katherines (Kay and Marge) and total different storylines. I think part of the viewers felt disconnected from the show.

I have seen some clips up to at least March 1986 in Italian (Jill's press conference and Lauren being saved from being buried alive), so then if they skipped the rest of 1986, 1987, 1988, that is strange since those are the years that the show started in France and Germany (and we have the German episodes almost complete through mid-February 1988). I wonder if they did that to catch up Italy to the rest of Europe? I agree that replacing Ashley, Jill, and Jack all at once would be a lot to take.

Here's a clip of March 1986.

The summer 1995 time slot after BB on Canale 5 was not a total failure. As you wrote, it was political. They simply wanted to get ride of a show that costed them too much money, and they did.

I have also heard that Sony's licensing fee is high, so that may be why Y&R isn't broadcast is as many countries nor has streaming options like B&B.

I can understand why the french audience had/has a strong connection with YR. French movies are often based on introspection, tortuous loves, fatal attractions, sentimental and existential reflections, long dialogues, sophisticated and rarefied atmospheres, restlessness, the pursue of happiness. That is what YR was about in the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 00s. 

I can understand why the italian audience had/has a strong connection with BB. Fashion, good lifestyle, deep and powerful feelings of love and lust, open hearted conversations, passionated and sharp people, larger than life characters, crazy twists, very closed families, possessive and strong mother figures like Stephanie and Sally, who always put their families at first, strong bond between people.

That's a perfect description, really.

Other times the openings were totally remade and they used pretty popular songs of those periods (What I am gonna do by Linda Wesley, Fallen by Lauren Wood, I don't wanna fight by Tina Turner, The extra mile by Laura Pausini). 

I wonder if it confused some people (when they were using pop music as the theme song) when Nadia's Theme would play during the saddest and most important scenes. I guess they thought it was just another sad music cue. I have never seen those openings other than "I Don't Wanna Fight."

Italy was in Melody's destiny. A decade later, her daughter Alex studied, worked and lived in Italy (Milan, Rome, Tuscany, Sicily). She's been married with an Italian from Rome.

Cool! I didn't know that.

I uploaded in the vault a short clip (2002 Flannery Finnegan) in the BB section.

Thanks! I saw a new Italian clip as well. It's from June 1991.

Here are some Italian clippings that I have. They do make quite a few mistakes (a picture of Janice Lynde when they name Victoria Mallory). 

November 6, 1985 (Italian dates)

June 27, 1987

August 22, 1987

October 3, 1987

April 16, 1994 (talking about the Grand Ball - clearly the photo of Nikki is way too old)

1995 article about the name switch to "Amarsi" and Sheila's past

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members
9 hours ago, DanMan869 said:

Will, you’re awesome—thank you! BTW, she unfortunately made a terrible Lorie Brooks. I hope she was much better as Janice Frame on AW!

No worries. As an extra bit of trivia. Apparently Roberta Leighton tried out as Lorie Brooks to replace JLB on maternity leave and instead they decided to cast her as Casey Reed

• Members
Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, Liberty City said:

Wasn't Wesley Pfenning a temporary replacement at one point, too?

Yes in 1980, around Jul/Aug. JLB had complications with her pregnancy and had to leave early. Wesley Ann Pfenning came one for a few weeks then took Brooks to NYC for a book tour. JLB didn't return until Oct 80 and didn't seem to be on too much initially. 

Also found this TV By Day Sep 73. Anyone know who Paul Tulley played? I am guessing a somewhat minor role over the summer. Maybe Jane Wilcox fiance who didn't want Suzie???

Edited by will81

• Members

Paul Tulley would return to Y&R in 1981 as crazy Edward. He also has a listing on IMDB for being on Y&R again in 1997. Who did he play or was it a flashback credit ? He appeared in several daytime and primetime soap roles. He played the teacher Lucy accused of attempted rape on Dallas in 1978 and returned in another role in 1986. Here he is today.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks for that info. I don't know how I forgot Paul played Edward. Apparently Edward was going to have an exorcism and return to "normal" and remain on the show. Instead they blew him up, lol. 

I assume all the occult/satanic cults fascination of the 70's was probably the original influence. I doubt he would have been Marlena Evans style possessed, rather it might have been much like the book The Exorcist, where you are never sure if she was possessed or just mentally unwell. 

Based on Paul's age, I feel Jane Wilcox fiance seems the likely role he played, but who knows.

Edited by will81

• Members

I'm drawing a blank on Jane Wilcox,Can you fill me in? Thanks.

Variety reports in July 79 that Kathleen Engel, formerly of CBS press department is joining Y&R as a writer.

Her only IMDB credit is a writer on Texas.

I wonder how long she was there? She joins a select group of writers in the 70's.

• Members
8 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Variety reports in July 79 that Kathleen Engel, formerly of CBS press department is joining Y&R as a writer.

I wonder how long she was there? She joins a select group of writers in the 70's.

Maybe I got the name wrong. So in 1973, probably summer, Sally told Brad that she had a High School sweetheart Frank Martin (Jay Sanderson) she got pregnant and they gave up the baby. Frank turns up and tells Sally that he is engaged and his future wife is unable to have children, so he asks Sally to help him locate their daughter in the hopes he and his fiance can adopt her. However Frank and Sally grow close and Frank calls of his engagement.

Eventually they find a nurse Jane Wilcox and she has Suzie (Frank and Sally's daughter) Jane's boyfriend doesn't want the girl and leaves Jane and Frank, feeling sorry for her, begins spending time with her and the girl. He and Sally drift apart (I believe this prompts Sally to forgo her birth control with Snapper) and Sally find out later that Frank and Jane married. 

• Members
38 minutes ago, will81 said:

Maybe I got the name wrong. So in 1973, probably summer, Sally told Brad that she had a High School sweetheart Frank Martin (Jay Sanderson) she got pregnant and they gave up the baby. Frank turns up and tells Sally that he is engaged and his future wife is unable to have children, so he asks Sally to help him locate their daughter in the hopes he and his fiance can adopt her. However Frank and Sally grow close and Frank calls of his engagement.

Eventually they find a nurse Jane Wilcox and she has Suzie (Frank and Sally's daughter) Jane's boyfriend doesn't want the girl and leaves Jane and Frank, feeling sorry for her, begins spending time with her and the girl. He and Sally drift apart (I believe this prompts Sally to forgo her birth control with Snapper) and Sally find out later that Frank and Jane married. 

Thanks!! I had read somewhere years ago that when Sally returned in ‘81 she revealed that both Frank and her daughter were dead was that true or some made up fan fiction? 

• Members
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

Thanks!! I had read somewhere years ago that when Sally returned in ‘81 she revealed that both Frank and her daughter were dead was that true or some made up fan fiction? 

Never heard that, but it could have happened. Bell often had random call backs like this, but not sure. 

10 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Also @mikelyons I assume you might be interested in this info for your Y&R writers thread?

@Paul Raven I have a 1979 interview with Kay Alden I will post when I can find it. She mentions she and Bell write the show with one other person. I assumed it was John F. Smith but I guess it was Kathleen. 

Here it is from February 1979. They mention the other script writer is in Los Angeles. Though since this is from Feb I guess this was before Kathleen joined. Elizabeth Harrower was there from at least 1977, not sure when she left to do Days, so maybe it was Liz and then Kathleen came on in the summer and left in 1980 to do Texas, and that is when Jack Smith came aboard???

Also confirmation that the lesbian story was ditched due to negative viewer reaction. Kay mentions the audience was largely single women in the mid west. I wonder if they might have been more open to a bisexual man?? I always thought Jack should have been bi, and he and Ashley should have fought over Eric Garrison.

Edited by will81