Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R: Old Articles

DRW50

• Members
14 hours ago, kalbir said:

Is it possible that Italy's first episode was Melody Thomas Scott's first episode? Italy got to see part of Vanessa's story and also the arrival of Victor.

If my calculations are correct, the show started from around october/november 1979. Nikki and Greg Foster were just married. I know for sure that GL started from november 1979 ep. 

14 hours ago, kalbir said:

Is it possible that Italy's first episode was Melody Thomas Scott's first episode? Italy got to see part of Vanessa's story and also the arrival of Victor.

If my calculations are correct, the show started from around october/november 1979. Nikki and Greg Foster were just married. I know for sure that GL started from november 1979 ep. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@BoldRestless

(I tried to upload clippings here, but it kept writing Error 200. So I put them otherwhere) 

1. This is from an issue of Sorrisi e Canzoni Tv - the most popular Italian tv guide. December 1982. On Canale 5 from 2.40 pm to 5 pm there were Search for tomorrow/Guiding Light/One Life To Live/General Hospital.No daily or weekly summaries in any pages of this issue. 

2. This is from an issue of Sorrisi e Canzoni. March 1983. YR started on Italia 1 the month before. No daily or weekly summaries in any pages of this issue. I guess in the beginning soaps had very little space. New tv channels, new tv genre. 

3. These are from Radiocorriere tv. 
1984 Febbre d'Amore was moved on Rete4, at 5,50 pm 
1987 In the summer it aired in prime time every saturday at 8,30 pm 
Summary about a december 1982 US ep. 

4. This is from Sorrisi e Canzoni. December 1988. Guiding Light. At this time there are daily summaries with the official number of the episodes airing all the week. I can't say about other soaps. It was Christmas week, they all were on hiatus except GL
I don't have other issues of that era, so I don't know how many space or not was given to YR in late 80s. 

I know for sure that in spring 1991, summer 1995 and from september 1998 to spring 2002 Sorrisi e Canzoni had daily summaries. Before that I don't know and after that it had weekly summaries. 
BB has had daily summaries since the first episode. 
Telepiù is another tv guide very focused on soaps. 

5.This is from Sorrisi e canzoni july 1993. A small recaps of the Nina ordeal after shooting to David. 

6.This is from Sorrisi e Canzoni. November 1993. 1991 US episode summary and official ep number. The show aired at 10,30 am 

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aQfugreOEl0/YPn-txMhJTI/AAAAAAAAEKw/nEIfzs8cQpA-1dfJZnKkFjGYsDAHtKS8QCLcBGAsYHQ/s2551/7.jpg

7. This is from Radiocorriere Tv, april 1995. A full tv schedule. A 1992 YR ep summary. 

8. This is from Sorrisi e Canzoni. June 1995. At the time, Mediaset TV's managers decided to relaunch YR using its tie with BB. BB was so huge, it sometimes achieved 40% share, half the Country was watching it. So they moved YR from the cold Rete4 mornings to the warm Canale 5 afternoons, at 2.15 pm after The Bold And The Beautiful.  They did a lot of promos (even with the actors of both soaps, from their CBS studios). The YR Italian name was changed. It became Amarsi, like it was a brand new show. It started with US may 1992 episodes (The end of Sheila in Genoa City and the fire in Michigan, while BB in Italy was showing december 1994 episodes). Amarsi started reaching a very good 22% share, then it dropped to 18. Major problem: its competitors in the same time slot: Santa Barbara on Rai2 and Guiding Light on Rete4 had steady ratings, people were loyal to them. Amarsi failed to mantain the high numbers of its lead-in. BB had 36% share, YR about the half. It was still a good result, but not enough according to Canale 5 tv managers. Canale 5 was the most watched tv channel in Italy and they wanted more. 
At the end of the summer YR was cancelled. 
They were so rushed and really disrespectful to the fans. 

9. This is from Sorrisi e Canzoni. April 1998. After a 2 year and 7 months hiatus, YR came back on Rete4 at 10,30 am. The old title Febbre d'Amore was resumed. A summary of august 1992 ep. 

10. This is from Telebolero. April 1999. Weekly summary. December 1998 US episodes (in march 1999 they did the time jump from 1994 to late 1998). They used a 1991 picture, but Brenda Epperson was no more in the cast. 

Please register in order to view this content

11.This is from Sorrisi e Canzoni, april 2001. Genoa City teens conquers the scene. 

• Members

Do you guys think there are episodes from 1978-80 and 1983 out there that people taped in some format (VHS, Beta, etc) that haven’t surfaced yet? Or is that too much to hope for? lol. It seems that there are more episodes out there of other soaps from those years than Y&R

• Members
9 hours ago, ltm1997 said:

Do you guys think there are episodes from 1978-80 and 1983 out there that people taped in some format (VHS, Beta, etc) that haven’t surfaced yet? Or is that too much to hope for? lol. It seems that there are more episodes out there of other soaps from those years than Y&R

I think so. I mean, look at that Obsolete Video guy on You Tube who already posted a very rare Y&R episode from the 70s. Just from the teasers he's posted of end credits (in color) of various soaps, it tells me there's tons out there we don't know about that is in color and good condition. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think so. I mean, look at that Obsolete Video guy on You Tube who already posted a very rare Y&R episode from the 70s. Just from the teasers he's posted of end credits (in color) of various soaps, it tells me there's tons out there we don't know about that is in color and good condition. 

You’re probably right, it’s now just about somebody like the Obsolete Video guy locating them. I’m sure there’s someone out there with a collection of Y&R out there from the years I mentioned. I think it’s more likely to find episodes from 1983, but really who knows after that 1978 episode was posted. I’m definitely hoping for more. 

• Members
On 7/26/2021 at 5:08 PM, Chris B said:

I believe he is collecting old broadcast tapes from local tv stations that are dumping them, not from personal home collections. Some soaps end up in that lot, but seem to be rare. I think there is someone with a bunch somewhere, but if they haven't digitized them or are not storing them properly, chances are they are deteriorating.

I do believe the vault clips from 82 - 88 were full episodes that were edited down. In other words I do no think someone was watching and pressing pause and not recording the full shows as there were scenes out of order, so they were copies made from full episodes. If we could figure out the original source, maybe they still have them. 

• Members

I bet "Just Plain Bill" hated wasting an entire day with that reporter, though he managed to score a martini and a bloody Mary by early afternoon.   Bill Bell had to be under a lot of pressure in 1973 --- writing breakdowns for Days of Our Lives and the entire 30-minute script for Y&R -- plus he was evidently monitoring several other daytime shows as well.   And then to have a reporter waste such a big chunk of his day.   Bet he ending up spending that entire night on his IBM Selectric having Snapper lay something pretty heavy on Chris.    

• Members
16 hours ago, will81 said:

I believe he is collecting old broadcast tapes from local tv stations that are dumping them, not from personal home collections. Some soaps end up in that lot, but seem to be rare. I think there is someone with a bunch somewhere, but if they haven't digitized them or are not storing them properly, chances are they are deteriorating.

I do believe the vault clips from 82 - 88 were full episodes that were edited down. In other words I do no think someone was watching and pressing pause and not recording the full shows as there were scenes out of order, so they were copies made from full episodes. If we could figure out the original source, maybe they still have them. 

I wondered myself if the vault clips from 82-88 were from full episodes that were edited down. It would be amazing if we could find the person that originally taped them and they still had the original tapes! I’m certain there is soooo much great material to be seen that didn’t end up in the edits.

Well “mysterious taper”, if you’re out there and reading this, please consider finding, digitizing, and sharing the original tapes! It would be so much appreciated!

• Members

Hey

So here in Israel we watch the July 2018 episodes.. and I don't understand what just happened. in a matter of a few episodes, We lost Hillary!!! why???? did the actress wanted to leave the show? was she fired? Why killing a pregnant woman? it seems she and Dr. Nate had this love-hate relationship.. but in a second.. they killed her character. too sad 

• Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ltm1997 said:

I wondered myself if the vault clips from 82-88 were from full episodes that were edited down. It would be amazing if we could find the person that originally taped them and they still had the original tapes! I’m certain there is soooo much great material to be seen that didn’t end up in the edits.

Well “mysterious taper”, if you’re out there and reading this, please consider finding, digitizing, and sharing the original tapes! It would be so much appreciated!

My best guess, from talking to people who made compilations like this, is that they did transfer the clips onto a new tape, but then reused the original tape that had the full episodes, because tapes were expensive back then. I am so puzzled at how difficult it is to find episodes of a popular soap like Y&R when there is so much available of other shows. Part of it is Sony being aggressive, but even if they don't show up on YouTube, you would think at least they would be around on tape and DVD trading sites.

@AlexGrimaldi

Thanks, your posts are full of great info! I had wondered why the show changed its name to Amarsi. Focusing on the Sheila stories, while she was popular on Beautiful, was a good idea, I'm sorry it didn't work out. It all sounds so political. I always thought Y&R's glamour and emotion would appeal to Italians, as it so clearly connected with the French audience.

One thing I don't understand is why the Tina Turner song instead of Nadia's Theme! It was ok, but doesn't feel like classic Y&R.

I wish I had saved my grandfather's old magazines. I don't remember the names, only that the soap summaries were all on one page, on the last page of the magazine.

Was your channel RestlessDuncan? It is so nice to connect with the original uploader of these clips after all these years. I would absolutely love seeing whatever you have. I just went through and uploaded the 80s/90s Italian I had in the Vault. I have some from 2000s but haven't yet figured out the dates and most likely we have them in English already.

I uploaded a full episode 1990-05-22
clips from 1984, 1986, 1990, and 1993
Time jump (salto temporale) 1986-1989
I hope I've dated them correctly, someone can let me know if I'm wrong. Interestingly you have some clips, in Italian, of the aftermath of Paul shooting Michael, which we don't have in English (if I'm not mistaken). I think you had also uploaded clips about Nina and David but only a few seconds downloaded, and I always wished I would find the original uploader again.

I also had this clip of Melody and Eric at the awards show. They do a pretty decent job speaking Italian! In his book, Eric talked about meeting Berlusconi, being invited to his restaurant and having dinner with AC Milan, an honor because Eric was a national champion in soccer/calcio.

Those schedules are crazy indeed! 8-15 minutes a day!? There is almost no point in that. I guess it is not worth bothering to find recaps then. I am going to save your posts, this is really good history in case I need to refer to it later. The Radio Corriere site had day by day summaries of Sentieri (GL), which is convenient because it's a time period not really covered by other sources. Sentieri must have been really popular because I see a lot about it online even now. At least for Y&R we already have the German and French daily recaps starting January 1986. What would be incredible would be to find daily Italian recaps covering the US airdates before 1986, but I doubt they exist.

Those clippings are so great! I will take a better look at those later and see if I have anything to add (all of mine would be from the Radio Corriere site, nothing original).

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

In a 1966 Variety ad, Irna Phillips and Bill Bell advertise a soap in development 'The Innocent Years'.

So did Bill just use that title later for Y&R, or did the 1966 proposal have some elements of Y&R ??