Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R: Old Articles

DRW50

• Members
2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

This must have been another strike story - the '81 strike seemed to bring howlers to most of the soaps. 

It's a credit to MTS that she managed to make these OTT plots work and make Nikki feel like a real character. 

I have to say this episode was actually quite well done…incredible set design and production value. The scenes were horrifying and well-acted.

The poorly written part was Nikki not having any trauma afterwards, and jumping right back on the stripper stage.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I viewed the stripper part as a way for her to put the trauma out of her mind.  To take back control after what had happened to her.

Wasn't Casey originally stalked by Edward before he fixated on Nikki?  Was that always the plan, or did the actress playing Casey opt to leave so the focus went to Nikki?

And I think I read a synopsis where it sounded like Casey was moving to get away from Edward...he spies her packing, sees Nikki helping her and refocuses his obsession on her.

• Members
6 hours ago, yrfan1983 said:

Yes! That ep is at Museum of TV Radio and I’ve seen it. This is the finale episode where she meets “Mother” and Edward blows himself up. Week of 9/25/81. Nikki is miraculously recovered a week later, stripping at the Bayou, where she meets Victor.

I really wish that the Paley center would have made episodes online during the pandemic, lol. I'd have been all over that. I recently read all the SOD recaps from that time and Nikki goes through quite a lot. 

The ordeal apparently lasted for over a week. I'm sure you've read this, but when she realizes who he is, she tries to run away and gets to a cabin to hide,  then pretends she was scared of the woods and is glad Edwards saved her, then he catches on that she knows he's the stalker, drags her out... she runs away and finds campers in the woods and begs for help, but Edward comes along and tells them she's just high on drugs... Nikki doesn't know what else to do, so she asks to meet his mother... and then we get to these scenes. I'd love to see how it was filmed, because we rarely get to see any action scenes pre-1982, and I don't think they did much shooting outside in the 70s at all. I wonder if this is all cheesy outdoor sets or if they did something more cinematic like when Brooks almost drowned.

• Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BoldRestless said:

I really wish that the Paley center would have made episodes online during the pandemic, lol.

They probably wouldn't want to risk tangling with the likes of Sony. It's really up to Sony/Y&R/Bell family to make those episodes available online, the way they did other episodes during the pandemic. Showing it in a contained space is different from streaming, possibly to the world, which would likely violate Sony copyright policy.

It's similar to how the WGA makes Oscar winning and nominated screenplays available in their library onsite, but not on their website. That would likely violate their own protection standards and their duty to their members. Of course, I learned in Grad school, there are other ways to procure scripts from award winning and nominated scripts.

Sony is one of the strictest in enforcing their anti-piracy protections, so my guess is that the Paley Center would not want to risk running afoul of that policy.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members
6 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

I viewed the stripper part as a way for her to put the trauma out of her mind.  To take back control after what had happened to her.

Wasn't Casey originally stalked by Edward before he fixated on Nikki?  Was that always the plan, or did the actress playing Casey opt to leave so the focus went to Nikki?

And I think I read a synopsis where it sounded like Casey was moving to get away from Edward...he spies her packing, sees Nikki helping her and refocuses his obsession on her.

Roberta did choose to leave the show. The story started in April 1981. It was focused on Casey but Nikki was somewhat involved. Casey left town in early June 81 and immediately the stalker began harrassing Nikki (who moved into Casey's place just as she left town) So my guess would be the story was transferred.

• Members
3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

They probably wouldn't want to risk tangling with the likes of Sony. It's really up to Sony/Y&R/Bell family to make those episodes available online, the way they did other episodes during the pandemic. Showing it in a contained space is different from streaming, possibly to the world, which would likely violate Sony copyright policy.

It's similar to how the WGA makes Oscar winning and nominated screenplays available in their library onsite, but not on their website. That would likely violate their own protection standards and their duty to their members. Of course, I learned in Grad school, there are other ways to procure scripts from award winning and nominated scripts.

Sony is one of the strictest in enforcing their anti-piracy protections, so my guess is that the Paley Center would not want to risk running afoul of that policy.

Oh I know, just musing on my part. Sony is so frustrating that I fear even if Y&R were to be cancelled, they would not let up on the copyright.

• Members
19 minutes ago, BoldRestless said:

Oh I know, just musing on my part. Sony is so frustrating that I fear even if Y&R were to be cancelled, they would not let up on the copyright.

Take heart. As bad as Sony is, Procter and Gamble is bound to be worse.

• Members
4 hours ago, fivethej said:

Was this only time Miguel ever got physical?

Please register in order to view this content

I was thinking that you did link a scene of Miguel and Veronica kissing when I read the caption.

Anyhow: it would have been the right headline in both cases. LOL!!! Poor Miguel, the only time he was ever given somehting else than saying "Yes, Mrs. Newman", it was romance with a psychopath.

• Members
2 hours ago, AlexGrimaldi said:

YR Italian promo about Paul and Cindy (1982) 

In the summer of 1987 the show aired exceptionally every saturday in primetime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ouF4cU5FQBU

That's great! Is that your channel? I am so curious why Italy seems to be the only country that aired Y&R episodes before 1986. I soooo wish I could find them. There was someone on YouTube who claims to sell Italian episodes, but they didn't respond to me.

• Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BoldRestless said:

I am so curious why Italy seems to be the only country that aired Y&R episodes before 1986. 

Italy seems to be the only non-English speaking country that aired episodes before 1986. Y&R started in Australia in 1974 and in New Zealand in 1977. As far as Canada goes, I know Global started airing Y&R in 1984, and CHCH aired Y&R before that but I don't know the start year.

Edited by kalbir