Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Y&R: Old Articles

DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, just to catch you up, I recently added the full episode March 4, 1997, a bunch of clips from 1997, and some full episodes from March (including the primetime ep), April, June, August, October, and December of 1998. Some are totally new, some we had partials before and I was able to add in the missing parts. It's nice to see that year filling up.

A couple of requests:

The week of March 1998 when Nikki got shot: I went through my old DVDs, and I have one that is erroring out halfway through. It has March 19 and 20th 1998 (I uploaded them but the quality is really bad)) and then it glitches out halfway through March 23, 1998. There's another 2 hours that won't play which I assume is March 24 and 25. Then March 26 was on the vault already, and I added March 27 and 30th from another DVD, so it would be awesome if one of you happen to have any of the ones I'm missing/or in better quality to fill out that week.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone here is the person that uploaded "1991-03-12 Nina gets arrested" a couple of months ago. I meant to ask about it. It never uploaded correctly and I always hoped the person would come back and redo it. I hope the original uploader is on this forum!

I'm not on the Facebook group but if any of you are, feel free to post the request there too!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by BoldRestless

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
21 hours ago, BoldRestless said:

Hey guys, just to catch you up, I recently added the full episode March 4, 1997, a bunch of clips from 1997, and some full episodes from March (including the primetime ep), April, June, August, October, and December of 1998. Some are totally new, some we had partials before and I was able to add in the missing parts. It's nice to see that year filling up.

A couple of requests:

The week of March 1998 when Nikki got shot: I went through my old DVDs, and I have one that is erroring out halfway through. It has March 19 and 20th 1998 (I uploaded them but the quality is really bad)) and then it glitches out halfway through March 23, 1998. There's another 2 hours that won't play which I assume is March 24 and 25. Then March 26 was on the vault already, and I added March 27 and 30th from another DVD, so it would be awesome if one of you happen to have any of the ones I'm missing/or in better quality to fill out that week.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone here is the person that uploaded "1991-03-12 Nina gets arrested" a couple of months ago. I meant to ask about it. It never uploaded correctly and I always hoped the person would come back and redo it. I hope the original uploader is on this forum!

I'm not on the Facebook group but if any of you are, feel free to post the request there too!

Thanks as always @BoldRestless ! it was cool on 3/4/97 to see Kevin Spirtas as the sleazy guy trying to pick up Nina. He went on later in '97 to begin his role on Days as Dr. Craig Wesley.

Was the bar supposed to be the same bar from Jan '88 that Nina and Esther went to? Looked similar...

• Members
1 hour ago, yrfan1983 said:

Thanks as always @BoldRestless ! it was cool on 3/4/97 to see Kevin Spirtas as the sleazy guy trying to pick up Nina. He went on later in '97 to begin his role on Days as Dr. Craig Wesley.

Was the bar supposed to be the same bar from Jan '88 that Nina and Esther went to? Looked similar...

Wow didn’t know Kevin Spirtas appeared on  Y&R

• Members
2 hours ago, yrfan1983 said:

Kevin Spirtas was also on OLTL as Jonas Chamberlain in 2008. He's so good at playing a bad guy.

• Members
On 6/4/2021 at 10:28 PM, soapfan770 said:

I believe Malcolm was actually Y&R’s first actual real back from the dead story back in 2004. I mean Y&R had a history of characters pretending to be dead ie Katherine, Paul, Sheila, Victor but we the audience knew they were alive. However Malcolm was presumed dead for two years before his 2004 return. It should be noted that in 2004 Y&R rode the same wave of back from the dead stories plaguing daytime at the time (hello Days and ATWT!).

Since then we’ve had Phillip, Skye, Adam, JT, and Chloe all fake their demises only to pop up alive again. However of the above only Phillip and Skye were the ones we figured would stay dead forever. Adam’s 2010 and 2014 deaths we knew he was still alive, and his 2016 death was also left very ambiguous no matter how much SSM tried to make it seem permanent. 

And if Keemo ever came back he’d be played by someone like Matt Cedeño or of all things Billy Miller lol. 

On a side note thanks for sharing. It’s weird Paul & Christine are even the highlight of the promo but I suppose they were in a vacuum between April’s departure and Danny’s return. 

LOL why this fool running like Aladdin in that One Step Ahead song

• Members
2 hours ago, BoldRestless said:

LMAO I always said the same thing about that Keemo scene.

I hesitated to bring it up in the "Racial Representation in Soaps" thread, especially after being reminded of it after seeing the commercial but in hindsight some of the "street boy"/kid-in-the-wild imagery was somewhat problematic IMO.

• Members
9 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

I hesitated to bring it up in the "Racial Representation in Soaps" thread, especially after being reminded of it after seeing the commercial but in hindsight some of the "street boy"/kid-in-the-wild imagery was somewhat problematic IMO.

Agreed, especially that last shot of him crouching on the rocks.

• Members
1 hour ago, BoldRestless said:

Agreed, especially that last shot of him crouching on the rocks.

Yep. That was a very animal-like pose (cue the "wild boy of the jungle" trope).
Even back then I had flagged Luan's meekness as the usual trope about submissive Asian women but I had not remembered until now how icky the way Keemo was introduced was.

• Members
45 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Yep. That was a very animal-like pose (cue the "wild boy of the jungle" trope).
Even back then I had flagged Luan's meekness as the usual trope about submissive Asian women but I had not remembered until now how icky the way Keemo was introduced was.

Both Bell shows had racially offensive storylines in the summer of 1994. Taylor the Desert Princess was bad, but Keemo's introduction was worse.

• Members

What other storylines of the past do we look back at as racially offensive?

I know TLW had concerns at the time about Drucilla being a stereotype but it turned out to be in the service of a great empowering story so I would have a tendency to let it slide.
I was back in France at the time so some of the context was going above my head in a way that it doesn't now that I am older and American.

• Members

'Kong' the thug that couldn't read and 'Jazz' the Mr T rip off.

Again the actors lead the way I think and allowed Bill Bell to humanize them beyond the stereotypes.

Can't recall but was Sumiko, the cult leader of New World the inscrutable 'spider woman' type of Oriental character?

• Members
Posted (edited)

@FrenchBug82 @Paul Raven Also Whiteface Tyrone. That would not happen today.

I got the impression Jazz was brought on to cash in on Mr. T's popularity. Tyrone was another Bill Bell educated professional with a troublemaking sibling (see also Casey/Nikki, Olivia/Dru, Neil/Malcolm).

That whole police corruption/mob angle during the H. Wesley Kenney years was way too General Hospital/Days. I wonder how much of that was Bill Bell's own choice and how much of it was pressure from CBS to jump on the action/adventure bandwagon. Notice how all the action/adventure elements pretty much disappeared once Ed Scott took over as EP.

Edited by kalbir

• Members
Posted (edited)

I was pleasantly surprised they showed some brief old clips on Friday's show.  What month/year is this from? I've seen this scene come up in a number of montages over the years. It can't be Halloween 1981 because Nikki doesn't find out Victor's identity until early November. 

Edited by BoldRestless