• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
1 hour ago, kalbir said:

Bill Bell reused Leslie's emotional breakdown and Lorie's parentage storylines for Ashley.

Yes I always thought Ashley was a Lorie/Leslie hybrid. He seemed to love her (character) in the same way he did Lorie and Leslie too. 

• Members
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

Here's the 1974 Janice Lynde/Leslie Mental Ward Scenes!

Please register in order to view this content

One thing that I really appreciate whenever I get a chance to see episodes from this era of Y&R is the use of colloquial dialogue. As much as I love writing/hearing elevated dialogue, when it comes to seeing scenes that are supposed to feature people from everyday walk of life, a natural sounding dialogue usually works best. And it's so much more meaningful than the constant snark and one-liners that present day Y&R seems to prefer, at times.

The acting seems solid and the patients and "Brett" all seem terrible, but did they have to make the one black character seem so overtly aggressive? She was bordering on terrorizing Leslie!. Just oof.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members
19 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

I imagine that someone with computer skill and know-how will be kind enough and smart enough to store these clips in the vault, before it disappears from you-know-where.

I just uploaded them to the vault.

• Members
37 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

One thing that I really appreciate whenever I get a chance to see episodes from this era of Y&R is the use of colloquial dialogue. As much as I love writing/hearing elevated dialogue, when it comes to seeing scenes that are supposed to feature people from everyday walk of life, a natural sounding dialogue usually works best. And it's so much more meaningful than the constant snark and one-liners that present day Y&R seems to prefer, at times.

The acting seems solid and the patients and "Brett" all seem terrible, but did they have to make the one black character seem so overtly aggressive? She was bordering on terrorizing Leslie!. Just oof.

Yeah true, I think if this show had been more diverse back then, such as characters that came later like Amy, Dru, Olivia, Neil etc.... this would not have seemed so bad, but when your only Black/POC character is a scary mental patient it is disappointing. Even in the 70's Bell and co could have been doing better.

• Members

I think the actor playing the orderly is Richard Gates. He had as role on Santa Barbara and appeared in classic shows like Partridge Family, My Three Sons Chips etc...He was also in the classic comedy film The Kentucky Fried Movie in the last segment where the news crew watches him and his girlfriend make love through the TV.

Picture from Santa Barbara as Sean Morrisey

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, will81 said:

Yes I always thought Ashley was a Lorie/Leslie hybrid. He seemed to love her (character) in the same way he did Lorie and Leslie too. 

Bill Bell also reused Peggy's relationship with her college professor storyline for Traci. Chris Brooks's storylines were reused for B&B's Caroline.

5 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

1987 Ashley's psychiatric hospital also had an aggressive Black patient.

Edited by kalbir

• Members
53 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Bill Bell also reused Peggy's relationship with her college professor storyline for Traci. Chris Brooks's storylines were reused for B&B's Caroline.

All the patients with Ashley were direct  copies of the same ones with Leslie. Even the names of Ruth and her stealing food. When Ashley was first shown with them, My Mom said out loud " Those look like the same ones that were in there with Leslie"

• Members

Bill did like to repeat stories one way or another...

Days Mickey on the farm /Y&R Victor on the farm  which actually first played in radio on Young Dr Malone

Days Phyllis shoots Mary by mistake/ Y&R Vanessa shoots Lance by mistake

Days Eric writes scandalous novel 'In My Brother's Shadow /Y&R Lorie writes scandalous novel 'In My Sister's Shadow'

• Members
3 hours ago, kalbir said:

Yes the Chris/Snapper/Greg triangle and their story was mostly re-done for the first year of B&B. Except Bell didn't marry Ridge and Caroline. Ridge always seemed a little like a combo of Jack Abbott and Snapper. Thorne, before Jeff Trachta, did seem like Greg. I always saw Brooke more like Jill 2.0 with a bit of Sally Maguire thrown in.

3 hours ago, SoapDope said:

All the patients with Ashley were direct  copies of the same ones with Leslie. Even the names of Ruth and her stealing food. When Ashley was first shown with them, My Mom said out loud " Those look like the same ones that were in there with Leslie"

All three had the same names. Ruth, Wanda and Julie. Leslie mistaking the orderly for Brad same as Ashley mistaking the orderly for Victor and both being attacked. Pretty much the whole story was repeated. I knew Bell used similar elements in other stories, but this was by far the most blatant.

Also who else thinks the nurse looks similar to K.T Stevens? The woman could have played Vanessa's younger sister for sure

• Members
8 hours ago, kalbir said:

Oh my, he repeated stereotypes too?

I sort of remember the psychiatric storyline but I must have forgotten details over the years.  I was in elementary school back then, I probably wouldn't have recognized the stereotype anyway. In 1987, at least viewers would have seen Detective Frank Lewis, his daughter Amy Lewis and Nathan Hastings was on the canvas by then, I think. The presence of those characters must have dulled any negative impact of that asylum character.