Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, BoldRestless said:

I love that so many people have been contributing big lots of videos to the Y&R Vault lately! The B&B one has been pretty active and I'm happy to see Y&R getting more activity too. There have been a lot of videos uploaded from 1989, 1990, and 1991.  I plan to get to 1988 soon but got sidetracked with this project.

As I was dating all of Nikki N's 1999 videos I kept notes on what was missing. She uploaded 132 videos! In some cases, like 11/2/99, fortunately the video she happened to be missing was already in the vault from someone else. Then I went through my own collection and added another 21 videos.

Here's what's left, we're pretty close to having the complete year, I really hope someone here has the rest!

UPDATED NOVEMBER 30, 2020

1999 MISSING EPISODES
1/4 thru 1/13

1/15

1/18 (in full)

1/19
1/21
1/27
1/29

2/1 thru 2/17
2/26 (in full)

3/15
3/16
3/18 (in full)
3/23 (in full)

4/1

4/2

4/7 (in full)

4/8

4/11
4/12 thru 4/28

5/7 thru 5/14
5/26 (the episode in the vault is partially in French)

6/24 (in full)
6/28 thru 6/30

7/1 thru 7/13
7/14 (in full)
7/15 thru 7/16
7/20

8/4 thru 8/6
8/11 thru 8/13
8/20 thru 8/27

9/13
9/22

10/6
10/13
10/18
10/25
10/26

11/5
11/19
11/23
11/29

12/8 (the episode on the vault is in French)
12/9 thru 12/12
12/14 thru 12/31

Update on 1999: I uploaded another 5 videos from the Chris S YouTube Channel and 2 from the old "R" YouTube Channel (now "Y R")... I've updated the list, please upload more if any of you have other episodes from that year.

8 hours ago, SoapDope said:

Erica Hope looked rough compared to Melody Thomas Scott.

To be fair to her, I don't know if anyone could have survived their hairstylist judging by that clip - Doug's hair looks lumpy and misshapen, like Playdoh left behind, while the beautiful Roberta Leighton has been assaulted by a demonic cereal bowl.

I'm just shocked that we got to see her. I'm shocked that we got to see a number of those clips. The karate one was fascinating as it has that raw type of feeling which was sort of being phased out of the show by then, with the increasingly ossified Brooks sisters, Jill, etc. And it's such a reminder of how incredibly gorgeous and charismatic Doug Davidson was in those years. 

The moment where he was too awestruck to speak about his wife was sweet. 

The writing quality - the quality, period - has declined so much, as shown by the time of those 2003 clips, but I'm glad they didn't try to hide the past to prop up later stuff, and just let the material stand.

Edited by DRW50
33 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I'm just shocked that we got to see her. I'm shocked that we got to see a number of those clips. The karate one was fascinating as it has that raw type of feeling which was sort of being phased out of the show by then, with the increasingly ossified Brooks sisters, Jill, etc. And it's such a reminder of how incredibly gorgeous and charismatic Doug Davidson was in those years. 

And what gets me is just the fact that it was most likely a throwaway scene yet you had an elaborate set, tons of extras, things going on in the background and an intricately choreographed fight scene in the foreground shot in one take by the actors. 

10 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

I didn't realize Rick Springfield was on Y&R?? I guess here it was an U/5 role? 

Me either, I thought he just said he took him to the audition because they are friends

ETA: Maybe that's all it was, they were friends and he was just in that one scene. Seems to be late 1979 or early 1980

Edited by will81
11 hours ago, DRW50 said:

To be fair to her, I don't know if anyone could have survived their hairstylist judging by that clip - Doug's hair looks lumpy and misshapen, like Playdoh left behind, while the beautiful Roberta Leighton has been assaulted by a demonic cereal bowl.

The moment where he was too awestruck to speak about his wife was sweet. 

The writing quality - the quality, period - has declined so much, as shown by the time of those 2003 clips, but I'm glad they didn't try to hide the past to prop up later stuff, and just let the material stand.

LOL at Playdoh left behind. It was bad even for late 70's standards. It was straight out of Eight Is enough. That karate clip was a surprise. I wish we could have seen the entire segment. I wonder if Greg and Paul got into a confrontation over Nikki ? Wings Hauser was just seedy. They should have re-cast a better Greg than that, especially to pair with Melody's Nikki. 

1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

LOL at Playdoh left behind. It was bad even for late 70's standards. It was straight out of Eight Is enough. That karate clip was a surprise. I wish we could have seen the entire segment. I wonder if Greg and Paul got into a confrontation over Nikki ? Wings Hauser was just seedy. They should have re-cast a better Greg than that, especially to pair with Melody's Nikki. 

I've never understood why they cast Hauser. If I was watching at the time, maybe I would know, but he feels like such an odd choice for Y&R (which cast beautiful people) as well as for the Foster family (who were all troubled on the inside but able to present a more acceptable, polished face to the world). And James Houghton was so incredibly handsome, it's just jarring. Was this down to soaps moving toward the "anti-hero/bad boy" format by 1977 or 1978? 

48 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I've never understood why they cast Hauser. If I was watching at the time, maybe I would know, but he feels like such an odd choice for Y&R (which cast beautiful people) as well as for the Foster family (who were all troubled on the inside but able to present a more acceptable, polished face to the world). And James Houghton was so incredibly handsome, it's just jarring. Was this down to soaps moving toward the "anti-hero/bad boy" format by 1977 or 1978? 

I always thought the same of David as Snapper and if anything David should have been Greg. I think Wings had more the attitude of Snapper. Just watching that clip you see it, Hauser looks like the older brother, is dark and gloomy more like Espy's Snapper and David is just a relaxed happy go lucky guy. And maybe that influenced things. They lost the darker moodier Foster boy when Espy left. Maybe Bell and Conboy just decided to try to switch them. That seems to be what viewers essentially got during Hauser's time on the show.

In terms of his looks, it is interesting, as Conboy was pretty serious about his cast being young and beautiful. In general that is what Conboy hired, so I can't really understand it either. 

Interesting point about the anti-hero stuff in the 70's. I would be willing to buy that being part of his casting for sure. 

1 minute ago, will81 said:

I always thought the same of David as Snapper and if anything David should have been Greg. I think Wings had more the attitude of Snapper. Just watching that clip you see it, Hauser looks like the older brother, is dark and gloomy more like Espy's Snapper and David is just a relaxed happy go lucky guy. And maybe that influenced things. They lost the darker moodier Foster boy when Espy left. Maybe Bell and Conboy just decided to try to switch them. That seems to be what viewers essentially got during Hauser's time on the show.

David would have made a better Greg, yes, as didn't things just sort of happen and Greg reacted to them? Snapper had a much more complex inner life that David could not have worked with (he tends to just look constipated in moments like that). 

2 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

David would have made a better Greg, yes, as didn't things just sort of happen and Greg reacted to them? Snapper had a much more complex inner life that David could not have worked with (he tends to just look constipated in moments like that). 

Yeah he was the character with the least development. Greg also never drove much story until Hauser was in the role. Jim Houghton had the Gwen Sherman story which I don't think was a major one at the time, or if it was, it was the only one he had and when Houghton left after three years, I don't know that Greg was that important for the show, I mean there was a six month gap before Brian Kerwin came on, so was Greg really all that missed? 

Brian, who was barely there and played out only the Euthenasia story which he was supporting in probably didn't make much impact. Then the character was off screen for another six months. I am guessing by 1977 the idea of changing Greg may not have seemed like such a big deal. Viewers probably weren't that attached to him.

Okay I may be completely off-base here, but just from seeing that clip of Erica Hope as Nikki with Paul, she seems like she could play the role of an “easy girl” (trying to be nice here LOL) better than Melody could. Erica looks like, from what I could see and also the weekly synopses I read that I can now now be able to picture her portrayal of, she had the right “look” of the easy girl that an everyday high school might see. I can see why they chose her for the role for that period of time. Melody seemed to bring more class to the role when she began. Even though she was still supposed to play the “easy” role at first, she still seemed to have a certain poise about it that Erica didn’t. Now mind you, I’m just going off of what I saw, but for me it doesn’t take too long to be able to figure a person out by being able to observe them...even if it’s just for a short time. Erica with Doug seemed like “the freshman in college tramp with the horny boy down the street”.  Anyone else following me or do I just seem to be pulling this stuff right out of my ass?😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, ltm1997 said:

Okay I may be completely off-base here, but just from seeing that clip of Erica Hope as Nikki with Paul, she seems like she could play the role of an “easy girl” (trying to be nice here LOL) better than Melody could. Erica looks like, from what I could see and also the weekly synopses I read that I can now now be able to picture her portrayal of, she had the right “look” of the easy girl that an everyday high school might see. I can see why they chose her for the role for that period of time. Melody seemed to bring more class to the role when she began. Even though she was still supposed to play the “easy” role at first, she still seemed to have a certain poise about it that Erica didn’t. Now mind you, I’m just going off of what I saw, but for me it doesn’t take too long to be able to figure a person out by being able to observe them...even if it’s just for a short time. Erica with Doug seemed like “the freshman in college tramp with the horny boy down the street”.  Anyone else following me or do I just seem to be pulling this stuff right out of my ass?😂😂😂

No I get it... that "I'm only 18 but I already have that hard look" thing. Is this the version of Nikki that Casey was talking about in that 1978 episode that just got uploaded? I can see her complaining that Nikki was entertaining too many men.