Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/8/2020 at 10:22 PM, will81 said:

I got some Daytime TV magazines from 73/74. I haven't gone through them properly yet and they join the pile of 70's magazines I have yet to scan...Also one of the Daytime TV issues covers the debut of Y&R, though there is nothing too exciting there I will try to get it scanned soon

I have a backlog of magazines to get up (including SOD 91 - 96) and I also bought more Daily TV Serials Magazines and a few Rona Barrett Daytimers issues as well so hopefully I will get there eventually now that I am on holidays.

I loved Daytime TV magazine and bought it every month without fail, but my favorite was Daily TV Serials. I also adored Afternoon TV and Rona Barrett's Daytimers. I wish I had kept all my old issues from the 1960s and 1970s; I had tons of them! Alas, I had to downsize when I moved from a house to a small apartment, and chose to keep scores and score of videotapes instead of magazines.

14 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

I loved Daytime TV magazine and bought it every month without fail, but my favorite was Daily TV Serials. I also adored Afternoon TV and Rona Barrett's Daytimers. I wish I had kept all my old issues from the 1960s and 1970s; I had tons of them! Alas, I had to downsize when I moved from a house to a small apartment, and chose to keep scores and score of videotapes instead of magazines.

Yeah I had so many Daytime TV magazines and others like SOD that got ruined some time ago. That is why I am being more protective and trying to get them scanned, as insurance, haha. Daily TV Serials is great too as Jon-Michael Reed really loves soaps and takes them seriously enough as well.

i would hope that someone out there is able to scan Afternoon TV issues from the late 70's early 80's.There were a lot of interesting articles and in depth looks at the soaps with interviews with writers and producers. I kept my SODs from that time but foolishly tossed heaps of other mags.

Fingers crossed.

On TVGuide.com, it says that for Friday November 27, 2020

(day after Thanksgiving in USA),

there is a episode *NOT* marked "new". Original airdate not listed.

It's called "Be Our Guest". (I had no idea what that meant.)

Then I checked the Canadian guide here:

https://www.ontvtonight.com/ca/guide/listings/tvshow?cid=892144823&pid=9251218863&tm=2020-11-27+19%3A00%3A00&provider=T3153330286
This says that on Friday Nov 27, 2020,

CBS will air Y&R "Be Our Guest", original airdate "1991".

After googling, I discovered that "Be Our Guest" is how CBS promoted the 1991 Masquerade Ball episode when it aired April 17, 2020.

That makes sense, because on Monday November 30th, Y&R kicks off a week of a big party centered around the 12,000th episode which airs Dec. 1st.

And Lauralee Bell posted last week an instagram of herself with Tricia Cast and Patty Weaver -- all of whom attended the 1991 ball.

It's too bad that the April 2020 airing of the ball edited out Patty Weaver singing George Benson's "Masquerade".

Edited by janea4old
49 minutes ago, janea4old said:

On TVGuide.com, it says that for Friday November 27, 2020

(day after Thanksgiving in USA),

CBS will air Y&R "Be Our Guest", original airdate "1991".

After googling, I discovered that "Be Our Guest" is how CBS promoted the 1991 Masquerade Ball episode when it aired April 17, 2020.

Good research! I have a feeling it will be the same episode we saw in April. It would be really nice if they aired the next one. Despite the content edits, I loved having it in crisp HD. I guess there's no show on Thanksgiving?

Maybe they'll air some nice classic Christmas episode this year since they're in nostalgia mode.

7 minutes ago, BoldRestless said:

I have a feeling it will be the same episode we saw in April. It would be really nice if they aired the next one.

Hmmm.  That would be neat. I don't know for sure that it's Oct 2, 1991. 
I made the assumption based on the "Be Our Guest" label. But I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, BoldRestless said:

I guess there's no show on Thanksgiving?

Thurs Nov 26, 2020: B&B and Y&R will be preempted for a CBS Thanksgiving special and NFL football.

Edited by janea4old
19 minutes ago, janea4old said:

Hmmm.  That would be neat. I don't know for sure that it's Oct 2, 1991. 
I made the assumption based on the "Be Our Guest" label. But I could be wrong.

I'm also assuming that if they're using the title "Be Our Guest," it would be the first day of the ball with all the introductions. It just makes sense. But it would be really weird to air the same episode twice in one year. October 3 had musical performances by John & Leanna, Mamie, and Lauren & Traci (guess all but the last one would be cut) plus Nikki's appearance. That would be nice to see.

Edited by BoldRestless

That's so cool! I was just saying it would be nice if they continued classics in some capacity! A good way to promote some of the returns, well at least Tricia's so far. 

I'm not a fan of modern-day Y&R.  That being said, I'd like to see Y&R switch to airing four new episodes a weeks, with Fridays being classic episodes only, hopefully going back into the half hour eps even, and simply piece them together, like they did with the first two.  As for the new eps, speed up the storytelling, and go back to the Bill Bell style of storytelling of moving things along, rather than being stuck in endless loops forever.

2 hours ago, trainman said:

I'm not a fan of modern-day Y&R.  That being said, I'd like to see Y&R switch to airing four new episodes a weeks, with Fridays being classic episodes only, hopefully going back into the half hour eps even, and simply piece them together, like they did with the first two.  As for the new eps, speed up the storytelling, and go back to the Bill Bell style of storytelling of moving things along, rather than being stuck in endless loops forever.

Amen to 100% of that!

6 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

Seems like someone on FB said this was actually June 19, 1978! :D 

Normally I’d wait, but YouTube has been pulling so many soap episodes that I’m going to watch this right now. What a treat!