Y&R: Old Articles

Just been watching some more of the December 1982 clips. The dialogue writing always strikes me as a cut above the other soaps. Others have mentioned on here that the writing had that deep psychological basis to it, and it is so obvious in some of the scenes I’ve watched.

The scene between Douglas and Victor when they are talking about Julia, for example - we get SO MUCH insight from just that one scene into how Victor is thinking and feeling, and what motivates him. The same with Douglas and Julia in her penthouse later on, talking about how Julia is feeling and her present relationship with Victor.

As an aside, I was not aware just *how much* Douglas was used as a supporting player back then. I was shocked to see a scene between him and Alison Bancroft - I had no idea these two would have even crossed paths, and yet their scene just made sense when I watched it. Y&R was really starting to fire up as a 1-hour show by this point.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, OzFrog said:

Just been watching some more of the December 1982 clips. The dialogue writing always strikes me as a cut above the other soaps. Others have mentioned on here that the writing had that deep psychological basis to it, and it is so obvious in some of the scenes I’ve watched.

The scene between Douglas and Victor when they are talking about Julia, for example - we get SO MUCH insight from just that one scene into how Victor is thinking and feeling, and what motivates him. The same with Douglas and Julia in her penthouse later on, talking about how Julia is feeling and her present relationship with Victor.

As an aside, I was not aware just *how much* Douglas was used as a supporting player back then. I was shocked to see a scene between him and Alison Bancroft - I had no idea these two would have even crossed paths, and yet their scene just made sense when I watched it. Y&R was really starting to fire up as a 1-hour show by this point.

Douglas was quite involved until he left in late 1985. When he came back, he was not as major as he used to I think.

Another question I had - Victor had mentioned that Eve had caused the breakup of his and Julia’s marriage. What exactly happened there?

2 hours ago, OzFrog said:

Another question I had - Victor had mentioned that Eve had caused the breakup of his and Julia’s marriage. What exactly happened there?

Eve showed up in Genoa City in 1980 claiming her son "Cole" was fathered by Victor. Julia and Victor's 10 year marriage was already crumbling bit by bit. When Victor took over Chancellor industries in Kay's absence, Derek Thruston was angry. He and Eve found out that Victor had a secret vasectomy to keep from fathering children with Julia. 

Did they send the test results to her ? I can't remember.  In the long run, Victor told Julia a child would be an intrusion upon their lives and he wanted her to choose him over the baby. Julia worried herself sick over it, then Victor "Had a change of heart" and told her he wanted the baby. He sent her away for a few days to a spa to relax. While she was away, he had the bomb shelter built and lured Michael to the ranch. He locked him in the basement. He talked to Michael on closed circuit TV. Michael could also see what went on upstairs on the monitor, like Victor making love to Julia which angered him.

27 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

Eve showed up in Genoa City in 1980 claiming her son "Cole" was fathered by Victor. Julia and Victor's 10 year marriage was already crumbling bit by bit. When Victor took over Chancellor industries in Kay's absence, Derek Thruston was angry. He and Eve found out that Victor had a secret vasectomy to keep from fathering children with Julia. 

Did they send the test results to her ? I can't remember.  In the long run, Victor told Julia a child would be an intrusion upon their lives and he wanted her to choose him over the baby. Julia worried herself sick over it, then Victor "Had a change of heart" and told her he wanted the baby. He sent her away for a few days to a spa to relax. While she was away, he had the bomb shelter built and lured Michael to the ranch. He locked him in the basement. He talked to Michael on closed circuit TV. Michael could also see what went on upstairs on the monitor, like Victor making love to Julia which angered him.

Wowsers. And Derek Thurston was involved in this? So Julia fell pregnant but was unsure if the baby was Victor’s or Michael’s? And she had a subsequent miscarriage?

15 hours ago, yrfan1983 said:

Heads up everyone - our beloved mystery 1982 uploader has now switched to adding files to the adjacent 1983 folder.

Praying for at least a glimpse of Lauren’s debut from 1/25/83!

And please please please let us see Madame Mergeron’s dramatic entrance to the Abbott home!

YES YES YES!! Would LOVE to see Lauren's debut! Was it her screen test or first scene that Tracey said that's what made Bill Bell create the "bitch" role for her?

9 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

Aha! It is the same set! :D LOL I always thought Julia's apartment in 1984 looked like Lorie's from 81-82, and that clears it up! :

Does Julia know Vanessa jumped off her balcony 😵

I really hope we get to see the scenes involving Victor’s faked death from ‘83! I wanna see the full scene where Eve slaps Nikki when Nikki says, “Victor would rather be DEAD than be married to you!” I’d also love to see the funeral home scene where Nikki causes a ruckus. 

1 hour ago, OzFrog said:

Wowsers. And Derek Thurston was involved in this? So Julia fell pregnant but was unsure if the baby was Victor’s or Michael’s? And she had a subsequent miscarriage?

I think in the beginning. I'm not sure how Derek was written out after all that. Julia eventually discovered Michael in the basement and set him free. Victor and Michael struggled knocking Julia down the basement steps. She was rushed to the hospital and almost died. Victor prayed that if she lived, he would set her free to be with Michael. She miscarried the child. It was discovered that Victor's vasectomy didn't take and the child was his. 

24 minutes ago, ltm1997 said:

I really hope we get to see the scenes involving Victor’s faked death from ‘83! I wanna see the full scene where Eve slaps Nikki when Nikki says, “Victor would rather be DEAD than be married to you!” I’d also love to see the funeral home scene where Nikki causes a ruckus. 

I remember that scene. Nikki wanted to get one last look at Victor and said he was the only man she ever truly loved while Kevin was standing right there. Kay told her he's gone let him rest in peace while trying to rush her way. Nikki also argues with Julia when she tried to get to the casket to open it.....LOL 

56 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

I think in the beginning. I'm not sure how Derek was written out after all that. Julia eventually discovered Michael in the basement and set him free. Victor and Michael struggled knocking Julia down the basement steps. She was rushed to the hospital and almost died. Victor prayed that if she lived, he would set her free to be with Michael. She miscarried the child. It was discovered that Victor's vasectomy didn't take and the child was his. 

I remember that scene. Nikki wanted to get one last look at Victor and said he was the only man she ever truly loved while Kevin was standing right there. Kay told her he's gone let him rest in peace while trying to rush her way. Nikki also argues with Julia when she tried to get to the casket to open it.....LOL 

About Derek, he tried to get his hands on Chancellor Industries but when Kay came back from the dead (the Felipe story), she showed Derek his true colors and threw him out the Chancellor Estate. That's all I think.

3 hours ago, SoapDope said:

Eve showed up in Genoa City in 1980 claiming her son "Cole" was fathered by Victor. 

In the 1982 episodes Charles was in boarding school. Was Charles on screen in 1980?

I wonder why Bill Bell changed the name from Charles to Cole in 1993? Maybe he felt Charles was not a 1990s soap opera name :lol:

1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

Nikki wanted to get one last look at Victor and said he was the only man she ever truly loved while Kevin was standing right there. 

Oh Kevin that poor boy 💔

1 hour ago, kalbir said:

In the 1982 episodes Charles was in boarding school. Was Charles on screen in 1980?

I think so - Eve and Charles were roommates with Jill and Phillip at the Foster house! There was a synopsis mention circa summer 1981 that Jack saw Charles at the Foster house but assumed Charles was Phillip

1 hour ago, yrfan1983 said:

I think so - Eve and Charles were roommates with Jill and Phillip at the Foster house! There was a synopsis mention circa summer 1981 that Jack saw Charles at the Foster house but assumed Charles was Phillip

Seems like the little kid's full name (during all of that business with Eve and Derek) was "Charles Victor Howard".