DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

11 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

I wonder if Jaime Lynn Bauer had stayed on, if Bell would have made Lorie and Victor the super couple instead of Victor/Nikki ?  Bell loved Bauer and Braeden and it was probably excited he was pairing up his favorites onscreen. I wonder if Lucas had stayed if he could have been paired up with Nikki  as they both pined for their true loves ? A Lucas/Julia pairing would have been good too. 

I wonder if Lorie’s last scene in early August was also Lucas’ last one.

7 minutes ago, FrenchFan said:

If I remember right, I think it was.

2 minutes ago, trainman said:

If I remember right, I think it was.

I think so, too.  Didn't he say something to Lorie along the lines of, "Next time I see you, Lorie, I hope Big Brother is standing right there beside you."  

I don't remember seeing Lucas at all after that.  

About a year ago, several of us on here had a LIVELY conversation about who in the hell ended up with young Brooks.   They'd all fought over him like cats & dawgs for YEARS, culminating in the famous boat scene, and it appears they all left town without him.

Lance basically said, "I'm leaving town since I've lost Prentiss Industries.  I'm leaving in five minutes!  Bye!"

Then Lorie said, "I'm going to look for Lance with these proxies.  I'm leaving in five minutes!  Bye!"

Then Lucas vanished.

A few months later, Leslie said, "I'm leaving town on a never-ending concert tour!  Oh, and I'm leaving in five minutes!  Bye!"  

Presumably Brooks was still around, unseen, and left with Leslie, but none of that was made very clear in Bill Bell's haste to usher them all out the door.    

Because after all the recasts and reconfigurations, the two main "draws" remaining from the original core families were Jaime Lyn Bauer as Lorie Brooks and David Hasselhoff as Snapper Foster.  

Hasselhoff opted out during the spring of 1982, and then Bauer opted out during the summer of 1982.  It was just all over for them after that.  

The rest of them were only peripheral characters, and he had three new stories that he wanted to tell:  the saga of the Abbotts, the triangle of Victor, Nikki, & Kevin, and the tale of young detectives Paul Williams and Andy Richards versus the "syndicate".   He tried to keep Chris Brooks Foster around for a little while (didn't work), and he tried to keep Leslie Brooks around for a short while (didn't work), so he wisely just gave them all the heave-ho.  

36 minutes ago, FrenchFan said:

Yes that sounded like Lucas last scene, i thought maybe he had 1 more scene after but it seems like he vanished after Lorie did, they should have still had a send off for him since he was a leading man at one time.

1 minute ago, Broderick said:

Because after all the recasts and reconfigurations, the two main "draws" remaining from the original core families were Jaime Lyn Bauer as Lorie Brooks and David Hasselhoff as Snapper Foster.  

Hasselhoff opted out during the spring of 1982, and then Bauer opted out during the summer of 1982.  It was just all over for them after that.  

The rest of them were only peripheral characters, and he had three new stories that he wanted to tell:  the saga of the Abbotts, the triangle of Victor, Nikki, & Kevin, and the tale of young detectives Paul Williams and Andy Richards versus the "syndicate".   He tried to keep Chris Brooks Foster around for a little while (didn't work), and he tried to keep Leslie Brooks around for a short while (didn't work), so he wisely just gave them all the heave-ho.  

When i heard how Chris Brooks stayed until September and then she realized she wanted to be with snapper that was odd, we all thought she was going into a new storyline with the habit cosmetics and all of a sudden she was dropped.

Does anyone know if Chris Brooks got a send off and who her last scenes were with?

1 hour ago, Broderick said:

It's easy to see what a haphazard mess the show was in the very early 1980s

This was also reflected in the ratings, although I think the huge rise of ABC at that time played a big part as well. If weekly ratings for the early 1980s were easy to find we'd get a clearer picture.

Y&R early 1980s annual ratings (I posted these earlier in the thread but reposting to save digging)

1979/1980: 8.8 (3rd). February 4, 1980 expand to 1 hour and time slot change from noon ET to 1 pm ET. The top 2 daytime dramas were General Hospital and All My Children.

1980/1981: 7.8 (6th). June 8, 1981 time slot change from 1 pm ET to 12:30 pm ET. The top 5 daytime dramas were General Hospital, All My Children, One Life to Live, Guiding Light, As the World Turns.

1981/1982: 7.4 (tied with As the World Turns for 5th). March 1982 EP change from John Conboy to H. Wesley Kenney. The top 4 daytime dramas were General Hospital, All My Children, One Life to Live, Guiding Light.

1982/1983: 8.0 (4th). The top 3 daytime dramas were General Hospital, All My Children, One Life to Live.

1980-1982 saw the ratings drop during the transition but by 1983 the transition was pretty much completed, the ratings went back up, and Y&R became CBS's #1 daytime drama. As we all know, during the rest of the 1980s Y&R would topple the ABC big three one-by-one and eventually become the #1 daytime drama.

9 minutes ago, Broderick said:

the tale of young detectives Paul Williams and Andy Richards versus the "syndicate".  

That's clearly the General Hospital action/adventure influence. I noticed H. Wesley Kenney's era had a good number of action/adventure elements.

We hold Y&R to a higher standard but even Bill Bell was not immune to the 1980s trends of Dallas/Dynasty influence, action/adventure, supercouples.

Edited by kalbir

2 minutes ago, kalbir said:

1980-1982 saw the ratings drop during the transition but by 1983 the transition was pretty much completed, the ratings went back up, and Y&R became CBS's #1 daytime drama. As we all know, during the rest of the 1980s Y&R would topple the ABC big three one-by-one and eventually become the #1 daytime drama.

Yes, and by 1983, Y&R was also back in a position to win the Emmy for best show, which hadn't happened since 1975, as the "new improved show" was fully developed and finally realized after three years of wandering aimlessly in the desert (1980-1982).  

1 minute ago, Broderick said:

Yes, and by 1983, Y&R was also back in a position to win the Emmy for best show, which hadn't happened since 1975, as the "new improved show" was fully developed and finally realized after three years of wandering aimlessly in the desert (1980-1982).  

It may have been wandering, but things developed at a fast pace, which I liked and was refreshing to see, rather than just plod along for years as some of the stories before and after that time frame have.  Between 1979 and 1983 would include some of my favorite stories, with Suzanne Lynch, Derek Thurston, creepy Edward, Vanessa, Michael Scott in Victor's basement, Pete Walker and the mob, Rick Daros, Lorie getting back Prentiss Industries, the family transitions, Patti shooting Jack, Tony DiSalvo, Nikki's baby drama, Eve Howard poisoning Victor, the list goes on.

5 minutes ago, trainman said:

It may have been wandering, but things developed at a fast pace, which I liked and was refreshing to see.  

Oh, no doubt.   It was a strange & interesting time period for the show.  And it definitely had its high points.   A lot of the dialogue was witty and clever, and several of the stories were completely engaging.   I looked forward to it daily, just for the unpredictability of it.  

25 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Yes that sounded like Lucas last scene, i thought maybe he had 1 more scene after but it seems like he vanished after Lorie did, they should have still had a send off for him since he was a leading man at one time.

When i heard how Chris Brooks stayed until September and then she realized she wanted to be with snapper that was odd, we all thought she was going into a new storyline with the habit cosmetics and all of a sudden she was dropped.

Does anyone know if Chris Brooks got a send off and who her last scenes were with?

In the September synopses, she kind of had. She said Jack she wanted to be released of her Jabot contract and she left for London. They said their goodbyes. I wonder why Chris was kept from April to September with absolutely nothing to do (except Lorie asking her to be maid of honor at her wedding with Victor, she was never mentioned).

And what about Greg ? Last scene in March ? No mention since he tried seducing Chris during the Snapper/Sally mess. We saw him in one or two of the earliest 1982 clips in the vault.

13 minutes ago, FrenchFan said:

And what about Greg ? Last scene in March ? No mention since he tried seducing Chris during the Snapper/Sally mess. We saw him in one or two of the earliest 1982 clips in the vault.

He gets one more synopsis mention around April, advising Chris on her Jabot contract... that seems to be it for him.

6 minutes ago, yrfan1983 said:

He gets one more synopsis mention around April, advising Chris on her Jabot contract... that seems to be it for him.

Oh yes ! I forgot about that one. So weird original characters just disappeared...

I did like the July 1982 blurb with Leslie asking Lori to keep away from Robert lol  

Bell seemed to just end stories quickly that werent working.  I have a feeling the Lori/victor story was meant to go longer but JLB made the story end quickly.

I'm wondering if Chris was kept due to hercontract..and once her contract was up..she was written out.  

Lucas was dropped..but who could he have been paired with? Casey was promising but she left so who knows who else he could have been paired with.  Perhaps Claire, the crazy wife of Robert..given his past ties to Leslie maybe?

I do get Leslie didn't fit into the landscape anymore...but curious why the family couldn't have stayed on?  Although, if Angela had stayed..we wouldn't have had Lauren most likely.

Also, seeing Traci in 1982 shows the strength of soap operas..character evolution and rooting for the under dog.

7 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

I'm wondering if Chris was kept due to hercontract..and once her contract was up..she was written out.  

That's always been my feeling about Chris --- that she would have left with Snapper, except Lynn Topping Richter was probably on a different contract cycle from David Hasselhoff.  If Chris had suddenly said, "I'm leaving with Snapper!  Bye!", the show would've had to continue paying Lynn Topping's salary until her next 13-week contract cycle ended, even though she would've no longer been a cast member.   So they just kept her around for another cycle or two, then let her go.