DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

28 minutes ago, trainman said:

Thanks again for your work on these!  I would very much enjoy seeing 1979 through Feb. 1982 someday.  Some of my favorite Y&R right there.

I hope I will eventually post it all. These 3 months can help filling the blanks for the clips and episodes from 1982 which have just been posted in the vault.

1 hour ago, FrenchFan said:

After Kevin admitted to Victor how bad things were between him and Nikki, Victor asked Nikki why she was trying to wreck her marriage. Nikki confessed it was because she loved Victor. All he had to do was say the word and she would come back in a minute. Victor urged Nikki to forget about her feelings for him by going to bed with Kevin until she had got Victor out of her system. Unable to accept that, Nikki asked Victor to hold her one last time. Although he hesitated at first, Victor gave in and kissed Nikki tenderly. After he was gone, Nikki whispered to herself with desperate confidence: "You still love me, Victor. I'll get you back someday. And next time, I'll never let you go."

😳 that’s just creepy AF.

Does anyone have August 12, 2004 episode - Cameron Kirsten arrested?

Someone uploaded August 11, 2004 episode - Nick/Sharon/Cameron on the plane to the vault. Just wondering if that same person is here and has the above episode, as well?

11 hours ago, YRBB said:

Thank you so much for the 2000 and 2002 episodes! By the way, the second 2000 episode is actually July 26!

Awesome, fixed it! Also uploading 2000-07-27, 2000-07-28, 2002-02-22, and 2002-02-25 as we speak!

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

I think the latest episodes uploaded were from May 1982 but I also post June for those interested to finish with Jack and Patty's wedding.

JUNE 1982

After Pam Warren's released on bail, she begged policeman Carl Williams to meet her in an out-of-the-way coffee shop. Carl was stunned when he saw that she hds a black eye and a black-and-blue mark on one cheek - actually, it was only make-up -. Pam lead Carl to believe it was a "warning" from the people she worked for. Carl again offered Pam protection if she would cooperate with him. Pete Walker told Capt. Alex Morgan, who was taking payoffs from him, that he was getting ready to make a move involving Carl Williams. Pete warned Alex to put some distance between himself and Carl or he would go up in smoke with him!

John Abbott summoned his son Jack into his office and let him know how pleased he had been with Jack's performance at the office lately. Delighted Jack had been taking full responsibility for his future, John offered him the presidency of Jabot as a wedding present! Jack would become the company's new president on the day he married Patty, and John would stay on as chairman of the board. Jack just stared incredulously at his father. When Jack asked if John was giving him a figurehead position or real power, John said he wanted Jack to know he believed in him. "I want you to begin this new facet of your life on the same day you begin your life with Patty. I'd like your wedding day to be a whole new beginning for you. I'd like to see that day be a new beginning for US, as father and son. I'd like us to learn to reach out to each other, to become close. To work together in the business. Perhaps even become friends. That's what I'm trying to tell you by making this offer." Although they both wanted to express their deep emotions, neither was able to. Father and son just shook hands as Jack thanked John for this gesture of his faith in him. For the first time in many years, Jack gave his father a very brief masculine embrace.

After receiving additional "instructions" from mob leader Pete Walker, Pam phoned Carl and asked him to meet her. She told him she hadn't been "working" because she didn't want to get beat up again. Believing he had this gal exactly where he wanted her, Carl asked Pam how she got involved in "the life." Pam claimed she began working as a prostitute to pay off her brother's sizable gambling debts. Two men who worked for her brother's loan shark suggested she talk to the bartender at The Golden Touch, a sleazy bar where she picked up many of her "johns." When Carl tried to glean more information from Pam, she said she had given him all she could, then insisted she had to leave.

Robert Lawrence had been flirting with Leslie Brooks, who was helping redecorate Lance’s former house he had leased for he and his daughter. He was stunned when Dr. Marshall phoned and let him know there had been a change in Claire's condition, but he shouldn't get his hopes up too high because it might not be that significant. For the first time in 16 years, Claire had begun speaking. Robert’s daughter, Angela, arrived in Genoa City and was looking forward to having Robert all to herself. Robert visited Claire after Dr. Marshall’s phone call. She was indeed speaking but she only kept repeating Angela’s name. Leslie, who got really closer to Robert while redecorating his house, had to go on a concert tour.

After Jill Foster returned from a disappointing date with John, she found her boyfriend Andy Richards waiting for her at the house. Andy reaffirmed his love for Jill and said he wanted a future with her. He pulled out a ring box and handed it to Jill. When Jill opened the box and saw how tiny the diamond was, she felt let down, but did her best to hide it from Andy. "The ring comes with all the love in my heart," he said, then slipped the ring on Jill's finger. They kissed.

Carl warned Pam that if she didn’t give him the complete truth about who ran The Golden Touch, he will dropped his protection of her in a second, When Carl inquired if she knew Pete Walker, Pam nervously admitted she did know who he was, but didn't know anything about him. She said someone named Phil Carter was the only boss of The Golden Touch that she knew — he was the manager of the place. Carl ordered Pam to do some snooping, because he wanted to know more about the chain of command. He wanted names from Pam —who was the real boss. When Pam said she shouldn't have gotten involved in this. Carl assured her nothing terrible was going to happen to her. "That's easy for you to say!" Pam retorted. "You're not the one who's running the risk. Do you know what happens if Phil Carter or anyone else finds out I've been talking to you? I'm dead, mister. Worse than dead. They'll cut me in pieces first!" Meanwhile, Pete ordered one of his men to look over Carl's house and find out who lived there, when they came and went and what their habits were. "Remember where Carl Williams lives, 'cause when you're finished, I'm gonna have another little job for you," Pete added with an evil look on his face.

Mary Williams was very upset about Carl's in-volvement in this vice investigation. She knew the job had to be done, but why by her husband? She feared they would all be contaminated by Carl's association with the prostitutes and other low-lifes he had to associate with.

John Abbott was completely sincere when he offered to pay for Patty's wedding, or at least help the Williams family defray the expenses. He wanted the wedding to be just as beautiful as they hope for their wonderful Patty. Mary thanked him and said she would mention it to Carl. Carl was feeling the pressure of money, but his pride refused to allow him to accept money from Jack's father. Carl would pay for Patty's wedding himself. He would figure out a way to come up with the $3500 it took to pay for even the simple wedding they were planning. Somehow he would find a way, he vowed to his wife.

Paul was with his sister Patty as she shoped for her wedding gown. He saw her disappointment when she came across the perfect bridal gown, but knowing it cost $750, she determinedly talked herself into loving a dress that cost $150. While Patty was in the dressing room of the bridal department of the store, Paul arranged to buy the dress Patty really wanted. The saleswoman was so touched that she took $100 off the price. The remaining $650 cleaned out Paul's checkbook, but he felt it was worth it to make his sister as happy as he knew she would be when the dress was delivered to their house.

Pete warned Alex Morgan that he was being paid to keep Williams off Pete's back. The cop was getting too close, Pete said, and he warned Alex that he would be the first to fall if they were nabbed. But Pete wasn't relying solely on Capt. Alex Morgan. He had got a plan of his own that he would have one of his henchmen plant $3500 somewhere in Williams' house. Then he would get the word spread "on the street" that Williams was a crooked cop asking for protection money. Pam was to set him up for the final fall. Pete was looking forward to his plan's fruition because the police would be the ones to do the work! Carl Williams was being set up for one tremendous frame-up! Pete's henchman jimmied the lock of the Williams home, and began his search for the perfect spot to hide the $3500 so that it could be found when Williams was accused of taking money under the table. He hid in a closet when he heard Mary unlock the front door, prepared to strangle her if she found him. When Mary went to answer the phone, the henchman sneaked down to the basement, still in search of a hiding place that would look as if Carl himself had secreted the money. He found the perfect spot in Carl's work area of the basement. Corning down to the basement, Patty was very close to being strangled by the unseen thug when she was called upstairs — her gown had been delivered. While Patty, very moved by her brother's thoughtfulness and generosity, thanked him for her gorgeous gown, the thug managed to sneak out of the house, his job well done.

When Patty learned Danny Romalotti was planning on leaving town, she knew he was hurt by her upcoming wedding with Jack.

Carl met with Pam in a seedy coffee shop and told her he had to have proof of Pete Walker's activities and the names of all the higher-ups. Pam feigned great fear of her bosses, and reluctantly set up a meeting later on at her apartment. They would go separately. She found herself quite moved when Carl gave her a pretty compact to that every time she looked into the mirror she would think of what she could be if she went straight. By the time the "word" had been spread about his being on the take, Carl showed up at Pam's apartment. He noticed that she seemed to be stal-ing about giving him the names he needed, but he didn’t see her drugging his coffee. By the time he passed out, he had just begun to realize what Pam did to him. As he lay unconscious, on her bed, he had no idea that she had been part of a scheme to ruin him on the force. Pam did feel twinges of guilt for betraying him, but she really felt she had no choice. She, too, was forced. She had arranged for her friend Cindy to discover her and the mess Carl made as he staggered around from the drug. She planted some pills in Carl's pocket, and waited for the police to come.

John’s elder daughter, Ashley Abbott came home unexpectedly after she graduated from college. Her father saw the ceremony, then he went on to other daughter Traci's high school graduation. Like Jack, Ashley bore the scars of being deserted by their mother so many years ago. But she sided with her father, while Jack sided with their mother. When Ashley met Patty, she found it hard to believe that Jack would marry anybody, let alone such a wholesome, innocent girl as Patty. Ashley wondered if Patty could make Jack change. Jack wanted to live up to Patty's picture of him, and he wanted the presidency of the firm, but he hated these sessions with Patty's priest, and he was very attracted to the beautiful Diane, a model at Jabot.

Lorie Brooks realized that Nikki Bancroft suspected her of being up to something that had to do with Victor Newman, and she knew that Nikki was as intent on protecting the man she loved as Lorie was on returning Prentiss Industries to Lance. Nikki, meanwhile, vowed to find out just what Lorie was up to. Kay advised Nikki to get along with Lorie to get into Victor’s good grâces. In San Francisco, Allison Bancroft convinced her son Kevin’s former girlfriend Caroline to return to Genoa City and fight for Kevin, rescue him from the clutches of the despicable Nikki.

Kevin admitted to Victor that things weren't working out between him and Nikki. Nothing he did seemed to please her, and Kevin got the feeling he had robbed her of something. "I'm making her miserable. Me, Kevin, her husband! Nikki doesn't even want me in the same house, let alone the same bed. She doesn't want any part of me!" When Victor offered to have a talk with Nikki, Kevin begged him not to interfere. Kevin realized what a big mistake it was for him and Nikki to get married.

In Pam's apartment, Carl suddenly realized she put a drug in his coffee. Although he tried to leave, he was too far gone to be able to unlock the front door. "You drugged me, dammit! You drugged me!" he shouted, lunging at Pam. A few moments later, he collapsed on the bed. Feeling levels of guilt mixed with fear, Pam stared at Carl's unconscious body and whispered, "Sorry it had to be you, Cop. They gave me no choice at all." Pam placed two of the pills Pete gave her in Carl's trouser pocket. She then arranged for her friend Cindy to mess her up and make it look like she had been raped! Pam instructed Cindy to tell the neighbors she heard her screaming, that it sounded like she was being attacked.

At Mother Bancroft's urging, Caroline paid Nikki another visit and announced she had come to Genoa City indefinitely. She was here to spend as much time with Kevin as he could spare. Caroline intended to fight Nikki for Kevin because she felt he was worth it. "I don't believe Kevin is happy married to you and I don't believe you'll ever make him happy, baby or no baby!" Caroline revealed she had come not only to break up the marriage but to pick up the pieces afterwards. "Kevin and I belong together. I've known that from the first time he kissed me." While Nikki wasn't looking, Caroline unobtrusively slipped a small envelope on Kevin's drawing table. "You don't scare me at all!" Nikki shouted. "I've got Kevin, and neither you nor anyone else is going to take hint away from me. He wants me. He's always wanted me. And you and that old windbag of a mother can't do a thing about it!" After Caroline had left, Nikki picked up a vase and threw it at the door.

When two police officers arrived at Pam's apartment, she told them Carl came on to her, but she tried to resist.  After she fought him off for a while, he passed out. Although the officers were somewhat skeptical of Pam's story, she declared she wanted to file charges against Carl. "This guy's gonna pay for what he did to me!" Pam later told Officer Davis of the Sex Crimes Unit that Carl threatened to frame her. She said she had to pay him over three grand or he'd put her up on phony charges. After Carl came to, he was taken down to the police station for questioning.

Jack's sisters, Traci and Ashley, were surprised when Patty asked them to be her bridesmaids. Patty wanted them all to be close, since she had never had any sisters of her own. Traci, however, was worried about her weight.

After reading Caroline's note, Kevin confronted her at her hotel room and asked why she had come back to Genoa City. "I want a straight answer!" he demanded. Caroline said she got to thinking and realized Kevin was trapped in an unhappy situation and was lonely. "I wanted to show you that you aren't trapped forever. Kevin, your marriage to Nikki can't last! There's nothing there to hold it together. I can give you everything Nikki is refusing to. I'll be your mistress ... and your friend. I'll do anything to make you happy." Kevin said it wouldn't work —he couldn’t love one woman and be married to another. Although Caroline declared her love for Kevin, he urged her to go home to San Francisco. But after Caroline forced Kevin to admit that was not what he really wanted, she decided to stay. Caroline melted into Kevin's arms.

Alex Morgan was stunned when Officer Davis told him Carl had been accused of attempted rape. Carl insisted he had been framed because he was getting too close to the truth. Since Pam had claimed that Carl was shaking her down for thousands of dollars, an investigator from Internal Affairs was brought into the case. He informed Carl that a team of investigators had been sent over to his house with a search warrant to look for money. "They can search wherever they want. I'd be very surprised if there's fifty bucks in my house," Carl said confidently. But, at the Williams home, one of the investigators found the money the thug planted in Carl's basement. Although he was sure the charges against him would be dropped, Carl was devastated when Capt. Black - of the Internal Affairs Division - told him his men found $3,700 in cash in the Williams home. "They planted it, dammit!" Carl shouted. He insisted Pete Walker — or somebody who worked for him — framed him.

Although only a few hours earlier Jill and Andy were celebrating setting their wedding date, when John Abbott phoned and asked her to meet him, Jill happily accepted the date! Liz was furious that Jill admitted loving John even after the wedding date was set with Andy. Jill also felt guilty because she hadn’t told John about having a son, Phillip.

Pleased with their work so far, Pete told Pam and his henchman Mike that he was to set her up in an apartment in Chicago. Pam was to call Investigator Davis and told him she was terrified of Carl and was leaving town until the trial. "We've got Williams, now let's finish him off and he'll never be a problem to us again," Pete said resolutely.

When Patty learned that Jack's best friend couldn’t stand up for him at the wedding, she suggested Jack ask Paul to be best man. Jack reminded Patty that Paul wasn't exactly fond of him, but later asked Paul to stand up for him — for Patty's sake.

After learning from Lucas that Victor had highly confidential files delivered to Prentiss Industries, Lorie resolved to find out what was in them. When she asked the file-room attendant if she could look through the personal files, the woman told her no — Victor was the only one who had a key. Desperate, Lorie later invitded Victor over for dinner, hinting that more than dinner would be included in the bargain. She was got to get that key from Victor, even if it meant going to bed with him! After dinner together, Lorie invited Victor into her bedroom. He was filled with anticipation.

Patty, all aglow over her wedding, asked Ashley to be her maid of honor, and she happily accepted. Although Paul would be part of the wedding party, Jack has asked John to be his best man.

Carl was utterly incredulous when Alex Morgan brole the news to him that Headquarters had decided to file departmental charges against him. He was even more upset when he learbed the department has suspended him, Carl shouted that he was not going to take this lying down, and walked out. Because it would ruin their daughter's wedding day, Carl couldn’t even share his burden with Mary. He asked Stuart Brooks not to publish anything about his suspension until after Patty’s wedding. Stuart agreed to his demand. A furious Carl pushed his way into Pete Walker's office and confronted him. "I'm on to you, Walker!" he shouted. "It's not going to work!" Carl declared he was not going to let up on Pete until he was locked him up for the rest of his life. Grabbing Pete by the throat, Carl pushed him back violently, causing Pete to fall to the floor. In a fit of anger, Carl knocked over a file cabinet and threw a liquor decanter across the room. He then brushed everything off Pete's desk and stormed out.

After Victor's houseboy told Nikki that Victor was at Lorie's apartment for the evening, she stopped by Lorie's and called out for her. Nikki's unexpected visit stopped Victor from consummating his night with Lorie and he left with Nikki, feeling more than a little disgruntled. Although Lorie was relieved she didn't have to make love with Victor, she was upset she didn't get the key Lucas was supposed to search for, either.

On the day of Jack's wedding, John gifted him with a lovely brass doorplate, reading: "Jack Abbott, president, Jabot Cosmetics." John gave his son an affectionate embrace. Ashley realized that Jack was marrying Patty only to get the presidency of Jabot. Jack's co-workers gathered together and threw a lively celebration for him at Jabot before he took his vows with Patty. Since the liquor was flowing freely, Jack downed a few too many drinks and ended up in bed with Diane, the sexy model he had been attracted to for weeks! Concerned that Jack was running late for the wedding, Ashley stopped by the photo studio and was stunned to find her brother in bed, drunk. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Diane coming out from some of the bedclothes piled on the bed, awakened by the commotion. Ashley was completely blown away. How could her brother do something like this when everyone was expecting him at the church?

A reluctant Danny finally agreed to attend Patty’s wedding. Ashley dragged her brother out of bed,  but Jack, bombed, made no effort to cooperate. In control of the situation, Ashley ordered Diane to help her get Jack into the shower.

Victor summoned Nikki over to the ranch and angrily told her he wanted to have a long-overdue talk with her. When Nikki said she was terribly sorry for walking in on him and Lorie the other night, Victor told her he knew his servant Charlie told her where he was. "Nikki, you've been lying to me, and if you've lied to me about this, what else have you lied to me about," He accused Nikki of going to see Lorie to keep tabs on him, but she said she was trying to protect Victor from being hurt by Lorie. Victor argued that Nikki was trying to hurt him because she blamed him for her bad marriage. He declared that Nikki's behavior was becoming extremely annoying to him and to Lorie. "I want you to stop lying to me and stop pretending to suspect Lorie of some scheme to do me harm. If you meddle any more, I'll forbid you coming here and I won’t see you again, no matter what your problems are." He warned Nikki that if she did break up with Kevin, she couldn’t move back in with Victor. Crushed and hurt, Nikki lashed out: "I hope Lorie does mess up your business or whatever she's got in mind. I hope she pays you back for everything you did to me and to her boyfriend, Lance. Right now I'd help her if I knew how!"

Before leaving, Nikki admitted she didn't mean what she said and said she still loved Victor. "You can't do this to me ... send me away and refuse to see me again ... you can't do it!" she sobbed. Nikki threatened to kill herself if Victor wouldn't see her any more. Victor agreed to see her occasionally, but she had got to give him her word she would stay away from Lorie Brooks. Nikki promised she would never go near Lorie again. Col. Austin was not convinced and wondered whether Lorie and Nikki were working together against Victor.

Much to everyone's relief, Ashley managesd to get Jack to the church in the nick of time. A radiant Patty and a still slightly tipsy Jack were united as husband and wife in a lovely religious service at the Sacred Heart Church. A large reception was held afterwards for the newlyweds, and luckily, no one spilled the beans about Carl's suspension. Danny sang for Patty. Shortly before Jack left on his honeymoon, Ashley angrily warned him that if she ever got the slightest impression he hads been unfaithful to Patty, she would blow his marriage right out of the water — and Jack out of the president's office! "Happy honeymoon, big brother," Ashley said sadly. When Patty threw her bouquet, who should catch it but Diane! Furious, Ashley told Diane she never wanted to see her again and ordered her to leave the reception at once!

Some new clips from June July are available ! 
I noticed Joe Blair appeared before Jack’s wedding. I thought the character only appeared beginning 1983 !

4 hours ago, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

Awesome, fixed it! Also uploading 2000-07-27, 2000-07-28, 2002-02-22, and 2002-02-25 as we speak!

Great! Thank you!

I think the latest episodes uploaded were from May 1982 but I also post June for those interested to finish with Jack and Patty's wedding.

JUNE 1982

Many thanks!

Some new clips from June July are available ! 
I noticed Joe Blair appeared before Jack’s wedding. I thought the character only appeared beginning 1983 !

Yes!  It appears new clips are being posted daily.  The summaries help to fill in the cracks and nail down more exact dates.

4 minutes ago, trainman said:

Many thanks!

Yes!  It appears new clips are being posted daily.  The summaries help to fill in the cracks and nail down more exact dates.

I have been so happy to see 1982 ! The Lorie/Victor/Lucas story is way better than I thought. Loved seeing Julia for a bit.

Wish we would see more of Jill/John/Andy though.

I loved the scenes between Traci and Angela. It must have been one of the earliest appearances of Mamie too !

Firstly, thank you to @ChickenNuggetz92 for setting everything up and secondly, thanks to those who added everything. I'm almost done the 1982 segments that are up so far.

1982 was the big transition year and who knows how much of Bill Bell's original plans for that year changed because of everything going on off screen. Case in point, if MTS wasn't pregnant and JLB didn't leave, could Victor and Lorie have ended up as the end game couple instead of Victor and Nikki?

The Bayou is clearly no Magic City 😂 (Side note: Magic City is a strip club in Atlanta that was in the headlines recently.) Daytime dramas were alot more scandalous and shocking in the early 1980s. I guess once AIDS happened things changed. 

It was a treat to see the beginning of the Abbotts. I think the Abbott house was added when John Abbott returned and Bill Bell expanded the family w/ Mamie, Ashley, and Traci. The Abbotts would also be almost all recasts within their first decade but Bill Bell kept the Abbotts instead of replacing them with a new family like he did with the original families. To think that July 2020 should have been Terry Lester's 40th anniversary on Y&R, sadly that wasn't meant to be.

Robert Laurence would return as a prosecutor. I think he was part of the George Rawlins murder mystery but I do remember seeing Robert as the prosecutor during Danny's drug trafficking trial. Not long after Peter Brown started on B&B.

Like I said before, it's amazing how Y&R survived its first decade then thrived for the most part during its next 15 years.

Edited by kalbir

How was Terry Lester's chemistry with Brenda Epperson as Ashley, I assume there was a little cross over between them before he left right?

16 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

How was Terry Lester's chemistry with Brenda Epperson as Ashley, I assume there was a little cross over between them before he left right?

Yes, between December 1988 (Brenda’s arrival) and September 1989 (Terry’s departure). And their chemistry was quite strong. She held her own against Terry just as well as Eileen did.

6 minutes ago, OzFrog said:

Yes, between December 1988 (Brenda’s arrival) and September 1989 (Terry’s departure). And their chemistry was quite strong. She held her own against Terry just as well as Eileen did.

I had never seen Brenda’s Ashley before the classics started airing and I’ve grown a real fondness for her. Eileen is the only Ashley I knew and I’m a fan, but Brenda just has this effortless warmth to her that draws me in. Truthfully if Eileen is unwilling to commit to a contract I actually wouldn’t mind Brenda coming back. She has history with the existing vets already.

I just watched the 1982 clips in the vault and OMG we have been spoiled!

1982 Traci was so shy and withdrawn, especially with the longer hair and the way she was dressed. The change she would undergo just in the next few years is crazy. So cute seeing her and Angela bond (Liz Kiefer was actually damn good in this). That would have been a friendship I’d have loved to see grow throughout the years. I also love that they were already telegraphing the Traci and Danny stuff that would arise a year or so later.

I just wish we had clips of the actual wedding of Jack and Patti, including Ashley catching him in bed with Diane. That would have made my year! 1982 Ashley was YOUNG!! And again, the stuff she would be involved in only a few years later.

The scenes with Nikki and Caroline are hilarious. Who knew Nikki was such a bitch even back in 1982? Kevin is an absolute doll (and Christopher Holder was quite easy on the eye too). The Victor and Lorie storyline was awesome too - when was the ill-fated wedding where she left him the goodbye note?

And the Kay/Earl/Alison stuff - OMG Kay was so frickin catty with Alison, but I loved every moment.

THANK YOU to whoever uploaded those - they put a massive smile on my face! 😁❤️