Y&R: Old Articles

9 hours ago, Dion said:

Oh interesting! I recognise the TV2 channel idents; this is actually a recording of the New Zealand airing in 1997 (New Zealand was 4 years behind). If you pause at the right time you can also see about one frame of a Shortland Street promo after the opening credits, and one frame of a Friends promo after the end credits.

As for the episode itself, the Dru/Lillie Bell confrontation was a long time coming. It took a long time but it was great to see Dru finally vindicated.

I've always wondered what the original intention was supposed to be with Danny and Bernadette. Seemed like it was building up to something like what later happened with Phyllis the following year.

Are you from NZ. Is that Bic Runga in the commercial at the beginning?

ETA: Oh it was cut, nevermind. I saw this on the FB page earlier

21 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

Thanks to a Kind person on Facebook here's the full episode of the Dru/Lillie Bell confrontation at Olivia's birthday. This episode has always been requested so I'm glad I was able to download and upload properly! :D 

Thanks for this, had seen this but couldn't download it, so I appreciate you grabbing this

Edited by will81

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, fivethej said:

Does that person have Y&R 2000 or 2001 episodes playlists?

No, I don't know of any for that year, sorry. I will be uploading 1/31/01 which has Matt Clark in it.

That June 4, 1993 episode was fantastic! I've kind of given up on watching in order for now since the classic episodes are airing anyway. The writing was so good. This has to be my favorite year of the show.  You wouldn't see these kind of open honest discussions (Dru/Lillie Bell and Victor/Hope).

I sooooo wish they’d air more episodes from 1973-80 with Jill and Kay’s powerful scenes together and apart. I often wonder where they get the “fan favorite” selections from, do the fans contact them themselves? I think they should just do a 70’s week for the show, or a “Best of Jill & Kay” week and show only episodes pre-1985. I also wish they’d just give in already and start streaming the first 11 years on some platform. 

Then again, if we could find people that recorded the show from ‘75-‘84 on some video format (Beta, VCR, U-matic, etc.) and get them converted, that would also be an alternative for them not showing the episodes on TV. 

And please refrain from telling me they don’t exist because there’s someone out there who has to have at LEAST taped the ‘78-‘84 era, since there are so many episodes of other soaps from this era. 

On 7/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, Dion said:

I'm thinking that a significant turning point was when she discovered Nathan's affair with Keesha. Olivia completely lost it, though at the time her rage was completely reasonable and justified considering the circumstances.

It's probably one of Tonya Lee Williams' most memorable performances...

I hope this episode airs in the replays.

Edited by ironlion
18 hours ago, BoldRestless said:

No, I don't know of any for that year, sorry. I will be uploading 1/31/01 which has Matt Clark in it.

For 2004 episodes would have either of these?

August 11, 2004 - Nick/Sharon/Cameron Kristen on the plane

August 12, 2004 - Cameron Kristen arrested

So.... I distinctly remembered Bill Bell talking in print interviews about the Y&R archive, and it all being intact... but can't remember the publication or the year, anyone have something like that in their memory banks? 

1 hour ago, alphanguy74 said:

So.... I distinctly remembered Bill Bell talking in print interviews about the Y&R archive, and it all being intact... but can't remember the publication or the year, anyone have something like that in their memory banks? 

I was at a fan event about 5 years ago when a fan asked when will we be able to watch them all. Most of the actors on the panel were shocked they're not already streaming online. Someone pointed out that they'd all be on VHS.  Christian Le Blanc said he was pretty sure that it had all been digitized, or at least the vast majority of it. He said that was a big project CBS had undertaken relatively recently to convert the tapes. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

35 minutes ago, BoldRestless said:

I was at a fan event about 5 years ago when a fan asked when will we be able to watch them all. Most of the actors on the panel were shocked they're not already streaming online. Someone pointed out that they'd all be on VHS.  Christian Le Blanc said he was pretty sure that it had all been digitized, or at least the vast majority of it. He said that was a big project CBS had undertaken relatively recently to convert the tapes. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Maybe one day Y&R will get its own Pluto TV channel or be up on CBS All Access. It’s a damn shame it is not already

2 hours ago, alphanguy74 said:

I have read more than one interview in which Bell confirmed that saving all the episodes was mandated in his original contract when he created the show. My memory bank is too clogged with data to remember the specific titles or dates of those interviews, however.

Edited by vetsoapfan
9 hours ago, BoldRestless said:

8 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Maybe one day Y&R will get its own Pluto TV channel or be up on CBS All Access. It’s a damn shame it is not already

That would be a dream come TRUE if Y&R got its own channel or would be uploaded starting with episode 1 like they're doing in the Netherlands for B&B!!! They can't hold onto those shows forever.

I think the likelihood was stronger before the Bells sold their interest in the show.  Now it is up to CBS/Sony what happens.  And they already treat these soaps like they have no value.

I remember even after Bill Bell stepped down as HW he had an interest in the original version of the show.  He talked about updating the older scripts for modern language and times, but the themes, stories and characters were strong enough to start filming again right away.

The stories I have read say both DAYS and Y&R have their complete episode libraries intact.  I believe Corday mentioned having the episodes digitized  few years ago.

Does anyone know if Corday still owns his small stake in Y&R?

CBS/Sony have no idea what a gold mine they are sitting on with respect to 1970s/1980s/1990s Y&R.

It amazes me that reruns of The Doctors, a LONG forgotten soap, have been so successful that they have their own streaming service that you have to pay for. You can convince me that people pay for that, but wouldn’t pay to stream the current or more well known soaps. The fact that they don’t even try is crazy. It doesn’t even have to be on All Access! If they did a separate “soap” channel on Amazon Id gladly pay to subscribe. With Proctor & Gamble, they had the AOL deal and Another World used to be on Hulu. They could easily stock a Soap Channel since that stuff has already been converted. 

On 7/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, kalbir said:

CBS/Sony have no idea what a gold mine they are sitting on with respect to 1970s/1980s/1990s Y&R.

SO true, ESPECIALLY with the Kay/Jill feud from the 70's when it was at its best!! The first 10 years were the best of Y&R, hands down! With the airing of the first 2 episodes and Kay's facelift reveal, I looked on the official Y&R's Facebook page and scoured the comments section of those posts and you wouldn't believe how many people wanted more or for them to start from the beginning! So there's definitely a market for it.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:44 AM, Chris B said:

It amazes me that reruns of The Doctors, a LONG forgotten soap, have been so successful that they have their own streaming service that you have to pay for. You can convince me that people pay for that, but wouldn’t pay to stream the current or more well known soaps. The fact that they don’t even try is crazy. It doesn’t even have to be on All Access! If they did a separate “soap” channel on Amazon Id gladly pay to subscribe. With Proctor & Gamble, they had the AOL deal and Another World used to be on Hulu. They could easily stock a Soap Channel since that stuff has already been converted. 

Agreed. If Sony, P&G, ABC and the other companies that own these soaps got together and put their back catalogues and the current new shows on a Soap Opera Streaming Platform it would work, they might even be able to bring back AMC or OLTL again. It would also allow Days and other soaps that are skating on thin ice on broadcast TV the opportunity to slowly move to an online streaming platform and allow these shows a stronger future.