Jump to content


DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

Recommended Posts

They mentioned another maid named Ruth ? around 1975. Liz Foster took a job as the cook and did some of the maid work. It mentioned Katherine was a hard task master with Liz when she started. I wonder if she threw trays and griped about the food being slop etc... ? Little did Kay know when she hired Liz that she would turn out to be one her best friends (even though she hated her daughter Jill). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SoapDope said:

They mentioned another maid named Ruth ? around 1975. Liz Foster took a job as the cook and did some of the maid work. It mentioned Katherine was a hard task master with Liz when she started. I wonder if she threw trays and griped about the food being slop etc... ? Little did Kay know when she hired Liz that she would turn out to be one her best friends (even though she hated her daughter Jill). 

 

Ruth was the one who had the crush on Bill Foster.  Seems like Ruth was also the one who claimed (at first) that Kay wasn't drunk when she signed Phillip's divorce papers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Broderick said:

 

Ruth was the one who had the crush on Bill Foster.  Seems like Ruth was also the one who claimed (at first) that Kay wasn't drunk when she signed Phillip's divorce papers.  

I wonder who played Ruth ? I was also surprised to read that Chris Brooks Foster also lived at the estate when Jill moved the family in. Wonder if Chris discussed the Jill/Kay situation with her parents and sisters ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SoapDope said:

I wonder who played Ruth ? I was also surprised to read that Chris Brooks Foster also lived at the estate when Jill moved the family in. Wonder if Chris discussed the Jill/Kay situation with her parents and sisters ?

I read that same thing also i would love to see clips of when Chris was visiting the mansion, i dont think there was ever a scene of chris Brooks and katherine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cassadine1991 said:

Did Beth Maitland appear on Y&R from 2003–2005??

Doesn't seem like it - Traci is not mentioned in the weekly recaps at all during those years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yrfan1983 said:

Doesn't seem like it - Traci is not mentioned in the weekly recaps at all during those years.

It’s weird considering Colleen was on the canvas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cassadine1991 said:

It’s weird considering Colleen was on the canvas 


I don’t remember her appearing at all during those years, she might have popped up in ‘03 but if she did I missed it. Colleen left in the spring of ‘04 but came back to visit for Christmas. The first time I remember seeing Traci again since her 01/02 appearances was definitely in early 06 when John left to go to jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soapfan770 said:


I don’t remember her appearing at all during those years, she might have popped up in ‘03 but if she did I missed it. Colleen left in the spring of ‘04 but came back to visit for Christmas. The first time I remember seeing Traci again since her 01/02 appearances was definitely in early 06 when John left to go to jail.

It’s interesting because every other website I see says that she appeared in 2003–2005 but they didn’t provide any dates or any proof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies as I know some of this has been shared before but the masquerade ball drawings are so cheesy and easy to laugh at:

 

25596806-7FFF-478B-929D-13C352D95472.jpeg

4C578D5F-52AA-42B8-ABA6-E4B89906B74A.jpeg

FA5EED85-1B57-4DE7-B052-5CA1A57B3C2C.jpeg

FAE02A40-4CEC-4CE3-9AED-143D77EE65F2.jpeg

43E52950-96C6-4101-9E79-1A5B4FCE982B.jpeg

34355A09-0F81-43DD-AC0A-6B930DB80B16.jpeg

A6601FC3-D6A0-4376-9109-9741ECBE2D1B.jpeg

A0E8C982-E0E4-4520-828A-62F730DFC618.jpeg

8BA89C08-6EA6-42C7-90A4-E15834353ECB.jpeg

 

Edited by soapfan770

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How and why did John and Jill remarry? How long did their second marriage last and why did they divorce this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darn said:

How and why did John and Jill remarry? How long did their second marriage last and why did they divorce this time?

They were on and off dating between 90 - 93 until they re-married. They just sort of reconnected. John felt Jill had changed and Jill was doing everything in her power to show she had changed. There really wasn't any other explanation. Jack was opposed to the union, but felt okay about it as John had originally decided on having a pre-nuptial agreement, but when Jack gave Jill a hard time about the pre-nup, John impulsively married Jill without one in Jan 93. 

 

They had problems all along. Jill wanted to have a baby, John didn't. Jill got pregnant anyway, John told her to get an abortion. She pretended to, but didn't. John was livid, but once Billy was born in July 1993, John accepted him and everything was fine until John became impotent. Instead of working through it, he pushed Jill away. Jill eventually had a pretty hot affair with Jed Sanders and intended to divorce John in 1994. She wanted custody, so did he. So they went to court, Jill got temporary custody, but John demanded both Jill and Billy stay in the Abbott home, Jill agreed for Billy. The court case continued and Jill was losing, then John out of nowhere decided he was in love with Maimie, kissed her and they made secret plans to go away together, but John had a heart attack and forgot everything. Mamie told everyone, but only Dru and Olivia believed her. Jill used the opportunity to tell John they were having issues but were trying to work through them. They halted the divorce. Eventually Jill paid off Maime, who left town. John regained his memory and the divorce was back on. Maime returned to town but gave up on John (can't really remember the full details) and left town again. 

 

Jill and John's divorce continued, Dina returned, Jill saw her as a threat and ran her out of town. John and Jill were at each others throats. Victor stepped in and Jill threatened him. Victor was shot and Jill was the main suspect, but as we all know it was Mari Jo. At some point they decided it was best for Billy if Jill stayed living at the Abbott's for Billy's sake, but John demanded neither of them were to date other people. Pretty sure the divorce was finally wrapped up in 1996

 

I am pretty sure John got custody of Billy and left town for NYC at some point somewhere between 96 - 97 or so. Jill moved on with Keith Dennison until Kay messed that up and Jill ended up living with Kay and the whole Chancellor estate story took off.

 

I may have left some stuff out, but that was mostly it. I really didn't like the story, especially how they threw Maime away like nothing. It was rather humiliating and out of nowhere. Jill was also being written badly through this time as well. John was particularly vindictive, so was Maime. The whole things was a mess, but I hated all the stories given to the Abbotts back then. Jack's being a Vietnam vet, Ashley and the evil twin story. Late 1994 to Late 1997 was not a great period for the show.

Edited by will81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for that detailed summary @will81! Before I read your commentary at the end I was going to replying how much I didn't like any of that. Sounds petty and like they didn't have much story to tell for either John or Jill so they threw them into whatever that was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fall 1994 through to the beginning of 1996 was when Nick and Sharon ate the show. I remember JC ranting to the soap press in that period about her lack of story, the focus on the younger cast members, and the male backside scenes. If I only I could find her interviews from that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What where Beth’s airfares as Traci between 1987 and 1996? Apparently she left and came back in 87 before leaving again in 93? I wonder why the show never had Traci be as prominent after that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...