DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

I personally also liked Sandra Nelson's Phyllis but they stopped writing for her in 1999 and MS returned a year later

Sandra Nelson had a sinister undertone when playing Phyllis.. where I could buy her running down Christine/Paul and hiring goons to beat up Michael Baldwin (back when they were involved romantically).  She had a quiet intensity that I thought worked for the character of Phyllis in the late 90s... She was less needy and neurotic.. and more ruthless/evil.  Plus, her Phyllis had loads of chemistry with Jack... that I never saw between Michelle Stafford's Phyllis.

GT's Phyllis was an even combination of both Stafford's Phyllis and Nelson's Phyllis.  She was more controlled with rage seething underneath like Nelson's Phyllis.. but could do the quirky stuff that Stafford's Phyllis had.

5 hours ago, DRW50 said:

@BoldRestless thank you for those classic episodes. I haven't watched 1995 as of yet, as I already sat through that stuff at the time and have no great need to look back at present, but the 1986 episode was a wonderful watch. Other than the ridiculous spectacle of Lauren spelling out her entire plan so that Shawn would learn the truth and plot her demise, the entire episode was absolutely flawless - you can see why Y&R was barreling toward #1. The scenes with Nikki and Casey and Nikki reading to Victoria were the standouts. Melody Thomas Scott at her best. Nikki at her insecure worst, but really, she was right - could you blame her? Roberta Leighton and Melody are so perfect as sisters I still can't believe they weren't originally cast together. 

MTS' facial expression when she finds out Ashley helped pick the horse was priceless. And Y&R used to be filled with little moments like that in every episode. I've always liked Victor and Ashley's relationship, but seriously - who collaborates with their mistress to buy a gift for their young child? I love the way Bill Bell played it, with the affair being an open secret. So much better than having everyone look dumb as if they never had a clue. This is psychological drama and it's so much more interesting. I can just imagine how cringey this would be today, with two different factions of "Niktor" and "Vashley" fans battling out who was Victor's twue wuv. Y&R had romance, of course, but the relationships weren't so much about making you swoon (a la Calgon take me away) as the way those relationships fit into the canvas, and the reactions of the various characters to them. Nikki going and telling her daughter that story about the wicked witch was terrible parenting, but you couldn't help but feel for her, and it demonstrated how delusional she was thinking that if you just take Ashley out of the equation there's no problem with the marriage. Other than her hair and the way she's dressed, this could have been any wife in America trying to work out her feelings.

I was very impressed with Shawn's acting. I don't know a lot about this storyline - who was this Tamara woman and what was the deal with Turk?  

4 hours ago, ironlion said:

Might be in the  minority here, but are there any classic viewers who preferred Michelle Stafford over Gina T? Much like I cannot accept Amelia H as Victoria, Gina just dosen't click with me as Phyliss (though she is far more compotent than Amelia). Even if Michelle S has acting quirks, its hard to imagin anyone else playing that role. If anyone had to play Phyliss again, Sanda Nelson was very solid in the late 90s.

Unpopular opinion, but I greatly, greatly preferred MS and never liked GT. I certainly concede that MS was overacting by the end and I was very much over her... I just never thought GT did any better. I just think of her as always snarling and angry. I think this is represented well in the clip @ChickenNuggetz92 posted.There's no lightness to her character, it's one note.  Sandra Nelson was much better than GT.

Edited by BoldRestless

4 hours ago, John said:

I personally also liked Sandra Nelson's Phyllis but they stopped writing for her in 1999 and MS returned a year later

Nelson's exit was pretty abrupt. Sure the focus shifted to other characters around that like Ashley with Eileen Davidson's return, but Phyllis still had spark due the lovely Sandra Nelson. 

1 hour ago, BoldRestless said:

I was very impressed with Shawn's acting. I don't know a lot about this storyline - who was this Tamara woman and what was the deal with Turk?  

They were typical minor characters created by Bill Bell. On other shows they would have been under fives, at Y&R they got quite a lot to do even though they were mostly talk-tos. Tamra was Lauren's psychic (go figure - it was the 80s!)  and Turk was Shawn's henchman.

If you want to read more about the 1986 time frame in Genoa City, there are quite a lot recaps available:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069658/episodes?year=1986

What killed me about the 1986 episode (which I thoroughly enjoyed) was that Bill Bell seemed to continuously toy with the idea of creating some kind of love triangle among Paul, Faren, and Andy.   (Paul was always running to the Rendevous and pouring out his heart to Faren, who was supposed to be Andy's girlfriend. In this episode, he went to the Rendevous to whine to Faren about ending his marriage to Lauren Fenmore.)   It was pretty clear that Paul's BEST chemistry was with Stephanie E. Williams, but I guess you just couldn't go there in 1986.     

1 hour ago, Broderick said:

It was pretty clear that Paul's BEST chemistry was with Stephanie E. Williams, but I guess you just couldn't go there in 1986.     

It's 2019, and you still can't go there on Y&R.

I too think Sandra Nelson portrayed a deliciously evil Phyllis. With all this SN talk, here's one of the gems I grabbed from YouTube back in the day. Gotta love her screaming through the elevator at the end LOL.

I personally wouldn't have minded Michelle Stafford back in the role of Phyllis, my biggest problem was how it played out. Gina didn't deserve to be pushed out by an actress that left their originating role twice and the whole debacle just left a sour taste in my mouth (although I blame Anthony Morina for that, not MS).

I, too was exhausted by MS's portrayal as Phyllis by the end of her run because by that point, all I feel I got out of Phyllis was coming off as obnoxious and smug - not qualities I necessarily like to see in a character all the time. I will say that when challenged and when the writing warrants it, Michelle Stafford can be extremely versatile as an actress. I was watching a few clips of the short-lived Aaron Spelling primetime soap Pacific Palisades (the role that caused MS to leave Y&R the first time). There she plays a good-head-on-shoulders type character and is incredibly refreshing to see compared to her Daytime roles.

Oh, if only Avery had learned she was Phyllis' daughter and not her sister (like that girl in the PP clip).  Stafford would have gone through. The. Roof.  LOL!

Edited by Khan

22 hours ago, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

Also quickly threw together a comparison clip of Sharon and Phyllis' stairwell confrontation comparing Michelle Stafford and Gina Tognoni. I will have to cut Gina some slack since she didn't have the experience of taping scenes leading to the buildup, but she did pretty well for starting raw.

Best experienced with a set of headphones or earbuds.

I love when soaps re-record the same scene with a recast. There used to be a Brenda Dickson/Jess Walton one on YouTube that was to die for.

Its striking to think of Brenda Epperson and Eileen Davison's Ashley as the same charachter. As Im sure someone said before I couldn't imagine Brenda Epperson's version fighting with Victoria over cole or involved in the sperm fiasco.  Brenda's bersion was nice, calm, classy and well put together (aside from the Blade/Rick aftermath).

Eileen's was more---for lack ofa better term---posessive of that "vixen like " quality. Overall, loved both actreses in the role. SB: Brenda was and still is STUNNING. Eileen more so after her 1999 return

Edited by ironlion

2 hours ago, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

I too think Sandra Nelson portrayed a deliciously evil Phyllis. With all this SN talk, here's one of the gems I grabbed from YouTube back in the day. Gotta love her screaming through the elevator at the end LOL.

I personally wouldn't have minded Michelle Stafford back in the role of Phyllis, my biggest problem was how it played out. Gina didn't deserve to be pushed out by an actress that left their originating role twice and the whole debacle just left a sour taste in my mouth (although I blame Anthony Morina for that, not MS).

I, too was exhausted by MS's portrayal as Phyllis by the end of her run because by that point, all I feel I got out of Phyllis was coming off as obnoxious and smug - not qualities I necessarily like to see in a character all the time. I will say that when challenged and when the writing warrants it, Michelle Stafford can be extremely versatile as an actress. I was watching a few clips of the short-lived Aaron Spelling primetime soap Pacific Palisades (the role that caused MS to leave Y&R the first time). There she plays a good-head-on-shoulders type character and is incredibly refreshing to see compared to her Daytime roles.

Haha I was just thinking of that elevator scene today!! :D  glad you have it! 

On 8/4/2015 at 9:37 PM, Y&R21395 said:

Glad you're enjoying them guys. Here's some more. I'm pretty sure from this point on there aren't any missing episodes :)

(2005-09-12)

(2005-09-13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_OIMrp_XM8

(2005-09-14)

Thank u so much for posting these I have been looking for Y&R episodes from 2003-2009 🙂🙂🙂

Hello does anyone have any Y&R Episodes Playlists from 2003-2009 

On 6/30/2017 at 2:38 AM, Y&R21395 said:

Hey guys, so someone on here a while ago was asking for episodes dating back in 2011? This is some of what I have between 2010-present. I have collected every episode since and plan to upload them all, but this what's uploaded for starters. 2014 is the most complete year, but some episodes were blocked due to copyright.

2010: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2e3F3G2q7Jrn67xMS0_74nWbn5TIRVa_

2011: 

2012: 

2013: 

2014: 

2015: 

2016:

2017: 

Thank u for uploading those ones do u happen to have any Y&R episodes from 2003-2004 the rest of 2006 through 2009 an any from March 8th 2010 through March 26th 2010 and May 12th through June 4th 2010

On 7/11/2017 at 1:52 AM, NothinButAttitude said:

Does Sabryn Genet still act nowadays? If not, that is a tragedy b/c she was phenomenal as Tricia. 

Sadly no she doesn't since she had LASIK Eye Surgery the week after she left the show

does someone have the episode or scenes where kay and jill find out they're  mother and daughter? or any portion ofthe Veronica Landers storyline? 

Edited by ironlion