Jump to content

Y&R: Old Articles


Recommended Posts

I think it is so unique for the time, (as well as in the history of soaps), to have a young female character like Ashley with no "true love."  Characters have switched true loves, or found new true loves, or have had multiple true loves, but Ashley either had other women's leftovers (Victor and Brad) or duds who were never going to be long term solutions (Blade and Steven).

 

Sharon has Nick, Traci had Brad, and Lorie had Lance, so it is weird that over thirty years Ashley never had an "endgame" love of her life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The trouble is also that over time the original characterizations and motivations have been diluted and redirected to serve the plot machinations and keep the characters in story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eileen Davidson's version of Ashley just had so many strange nuances, quirks, and tics to her character that it was almost impossible for Bill Bell to pair her with someone initially.   Although Eileen was only 22 or 23 years old when she first came onto the show, she read as older, because of all the eye-rolling, hair-flicking, head-scratching, and impatient cutting off of other character's dialogue that characterized her portrayal.   (We don't usually think of such a young ingenue as developing such a "take charge" personality in scenes, but she definitely did.)   The poor little boy in the lab --- Eileen just ate him up and spat him out.   Same with Eric Garrison and Marc Mergeron.   Eileen just stole all the thunder from their scenes and made them look like patsies.   Eric Braeden was old enough (and experienced enough) not to let Eileen steal all of their scenes together, and I think that's why their pairing initially worked.   Braden and Terry Lester were about the only actors on the show who could "control" Eileen's tendency to snatch a scene completely away from her partner. 

(And this is why I felt Brenda Epperson bombed epically as Ashley.   Epperson was a very pretty girl, and did a good job of portraying a sweet soap opera heroine, but in no shape, form or fashion did she ever embody the quirky mannerisms that we'd come to expect from the Ashley Abbott character.)         

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Broderick, I enjoy reading your posts about pre-1983 Y&R. I started watching here and there until we got a VCR  and was able to tape it. I have a question about a Chancellor Enterprises character. Can you tell us anything about George Packard? Was he around long or was he only there for the storyline we've read about with Judy Wilson? Do you have any idea who played the role?  You are so knowledgeable about those earlier years. It's hard to find information about the character, though I saw him briefly in an episode here.  Thanks for any  help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broderick said:

Eileen Davidson's version of Ashley just had so many strange nuances, quirks, and tics to her character that it was almost impossible for Bill Bell to pair her with someone initially.   Although Eileen was only 22 or 23 years old when she first came onto the show, she read as older, because of all the eye-rolling, hair-flicking, head-scratching, and impatient cutting off of other character's dialogue that characterized her portrayal.   (We don't usually think of such a young ingenue as developing such a "take charge" personality in scenes, but she definitely did.)   The poor little boy in the lab --- Eileen just ate him up and spat him out.   Same with Eric Garrison and Marc Mergeron.   Eileen just stole all the thunder from their scenes and made them look like patsies.   Eric Braeden was old enough (and experienced enough) not to let Eileen steal all of their scenes together, and I think that's why their pairing initially worked.   Braden and Terry Lester were about the only actors on the show who could "control" Eileen's tendency to snatch a scene completely away from her partner. 

(And this is why I felt Brenda Epperson bombed epically as Ashley.   Epperson was a very pretty girl, and did a good job of portraying a sweet soap opera heroine, but in no shape, form or fashion did she ever embody the quirky mannerisms that we'd come to expect from the Ashley Abbott character.)         

I agree a lot with this. Except she got Terry mutliple times when she would imitate and mock a line he delivered, like any sister would do to a brother. Only when Jack was being a smart ass though, but I don't think Terry always expected it. He seemed a bit tacken back a couple times.

 

I agree Eileen had a lot of layers that Brenda didn't. When Ashley is cornered by Nikki over her affair with Victor, Eileen does this thing where she tries to make Ashley seem tough and strong, but her voice has a quiver and weakness to it, because she is shaken in that moment. Even though she is basically telling Nikki to get out of her face, her body language and voice give her away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still prefer Brenda as Ashley...she was softer, prettier...yet she wasnt a pushover.  She always stood up to Victor and didnt hesitate to leave him.  When she played Ashley..I saw Brad as her end game....when Eileen plays Ashley..I saw her end game being Victor.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The main reason why people sometimes "prefer" Epperson lies with the Ashley character, who was an incredibly complex, brilliant, seemingly harsh and cold person (but with so, so much more underneath). BE would never be able to play that, and thus, words like "softer," "sweeter," "nicer" are used to describe BE's version. Only... that's not really Ashley, is it? ;) Which brings us back to the 'issues' with Ashley as a character.

 

And, yeah, BE was stunning, charming, and appealing. That doesn't change the fact she almost played Ashley in name only.

 

9 hours ago, Broderick said:

(And this is why I felt Brenda Epperson bombed epically as Ashley.   Epperson was a very pretty girl, and did a good job of portraying a sweet soap opera heroine, but in no shape, form or fashion did she ever embody the quirky mannerisms that we'd come to expect from the Ashley Abbott character.)         

 

7 hours ago, will81 said:

I agree Eileen had a lot of layers that Brenda didn't. When Ashley is cornered by Nikki over her affair with Victor, Eileen does this thing where she tries to make Ashley seem tough and strong, but her voice has a quiver and weakness to it, because she is shaken in that moment. Even though she is basically telling Nikki to get out of her face, her body language and voice give her away.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YRBB said:

The main reason why people sometimes "prefer" Epperson lies with the Ashley character, who was an incredibly complex, brilliant, seemingly harsh and cold person (but with so, so much more underneath). BE would never be able to play that, and thus, words like "softer," "sweeter," "nicer" are used to describe BE's version. Only... that's not really Ashley, is it? ;) Which brings us back to the 'issues' with Ashley as a character.

 

And, yeah, BE was stunning, charming, and appealing. That doesn't change the fact she almost played Ashley in name only.

 

 

 

I agree with this. I totally loved BE for what she was (gorgeous, charismatic, warm but steely when required), perhaps because I only *really* started watching Y&R after she assumed the role. (I was in elementary school for ED’s ‘80s heyday.) Plus, the show as a whole was simply much better during BE’s stint than during ED’s later runs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny/sad that Shari Shattuck's 3-year stint as Ashley doesn't even rate a mention. I've barely seen any clips of her, but she does not seem well-regarded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yrfan1983 said:

It's funny/sad that Shari Shattuck's 3-year stint as Ashley doesn't even rate a mention. I've barely seen any clips of her, but she does not seem well-regarded.

One of the most embarrassing recasts of a major character I’ve ever seen. Just a fail all around. When ED returned, it was such a breath of fresh air.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, will81 said:

 Brenda's Ash was definitely more of a heroine type. I can't see Brenda's Ashley having an affair with a married man.

 

I agree. Brenda's Ashley came across as too sweet to be believable as the other woman in the eternal triangle.

 

15 hours ago, will81 said:

When Ashley is cornered by Nikki over her affair with Victor, Eileen does this thing where she tries to make Ashley seem tough and strong, but her voice has a quiver and weakness to it, because she is shaken in that moment. Even though she is basically telling Nikki to get out of her face, her body language and voice give her away.

 

I think it was after this confrontation that little Victoria saw Ashley and called her the wicked witch that took my daddy away.

 

1 hour ago, yrfan1983 said:

It's funny/sad that Shari Shattuck's 3-year stint as Ashley doesn't even rate a mention. I've barely seen any clips of her, but she does not seem well-regarded.

 

1 hour ago, Faulkner said:

One of the most embarrassing recasts of a major character I’ve ever seen. Just a fail all around. When ED returned, it was such a breath of fresh air.

 

Bill Bell's second worst nepotism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I'm sure most of you remember at Nikki and Victor's wedding in 1984 they had Lorie brooks talking to Ashley abbott and they were supposed to meet up I even think that could have been a next storyline. Plus the fact that even that night Lorie danced with Marc mergeron I think there could have been a good plot to that twist if they had duggged deeper

 

I wonder why they even made those interactions because you know y&r once you see someone who never usually interacts with each, there usually is some potential for a story but bell always loved being a teaser for basically nothing to come out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys I found these articles from 1980 but the dates aren't correct, anyone know what month this was from? Also alot of great interactions at this point and can't forget the transition mode was definitely in hand

Screenshot_20190419-014248.png

Screenshot_20190419-014413.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...