Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Sigh.....it does!......I highly doubt it but if there was ever a time Brad Bell had a special showing of these Catalina episodes with the cast, I hope Scott Cliffton, JMW, Darin Brooks and whoever else has only been on B&B since like 2009.....shook their heads and said: "Damn.....why have we never gotten great material like that!??" 

not that they could play it, but yeah....

I need to get 1988 episodes! it's gonna be on my holiday list! LOL I just realized a lot isn't on YT from that year...and it's been 30 years!!

Edited by YRfan23

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

1988 was another of those transition years for the show in some ways, with Leanna and Cassandra (Cassandra in particular bringing such a shift in style and letting Bell get back to some of his favorite themes he couldn't do with increasingly familiar characters). I think I have just seen a few that were uploaded a while back, like one where Cricket was arguing with Jessica. 

• Members

I agree.....I think the show shooting to Number 1 that year was a result of Bill Bell getting a lot squared away from before......not that the prior years were bad or anything, but I think lots of familiarity with the show itself starts at the end of 1988.

• Members

Interesting that the show was #1 in ‘88, considering the writers strike happened that summer. Susan SH commented that the actors had to edit/rewrite scripts during that time. I think the fall of ‘88 was when things improved, after BB was back at the helm.

• Members

I'm following Classic SOD on Tumblr and 1990 is nuts, (in retrospect), when covering sexuality.

I tried to copy/paste but it wouldn't work.  Page 56 has a coded story about Terry Lester and his "assistant" who was also his "cheerleader" and catered parties for Merv Griffin.  Then, Page 58 has a story about the seminal gay movie "Longtime Companion"  and laments how AIDS was really tough for soap writers to deal with.

There's also an odd line about how the actor who played Bunny on Santa Barbara couldn't be a cross-dresser in real life because he is getting married.

I think any actor has the right to maintain privacy from their fans, but the mixed messages of acceptance, fear, and mocking are remarkable.  Considering that SOD rarely named AIDS as a cause of death for actors, it does make one wonder about their editorial choices.  Previous daytime magazines had used coded gay language in order to promote the actors as sex symbols, but SOD created a niche as a news source, so their editorial choices are more suspect.  28 years later, I hope Terry Lester's assistant had a nice National Coming Out Day on Thursday. 

Edited by j swift

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't know the person who posted this but looking at this picture made me wonder if AH's Victoria was supposed to be some AB/Mac clone?  Especially considering the fact that AshBash and David Tom were highly popular as a couple, I wouldn't put it past Y&R to find a clone and then try to build  them up to be this big romance.  It's just something about the way Bashioum is posed her that makes me think so.

Yes, I know David Tom had been replaced by Biller Miller by then but still, the original suspicion remains.