Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wow, loved watching those 1999 episodes! One of my favorite years.

Y&R pulled me in in 1998. I really quite enjoyed 1998-2002. 2003/2004/2005 were still fine but it was starting to veer off. And it just seemed to be a string of losing actors/characters I liked. It didn't seem like it added up at the time, but looking back it does.

Looking back it feels like Jack Smith started the decline. It wasn't severe, but didn't we lose a few actors as well as several recurring characters?

Edited by KMan101

• Members

For me, Y&R started to trail off very slowly around 1994-97, even though there was good-to-great stuff in those years and the ones that followed before 2005. There was the awful Blade stuff, of course, which even as a kid I found horrific. The Nick/Sharon stuff that dominated the show at the time I don’t remember with any great fondness either, even though I liked Sharon. I think all the soaps were suffering during that time, and in hindsight none fully recovered. It just took longer for Y&R to become truly disastrous.

• Members

Yeah, I've noticed pretty much all the soaps around 1994-1997 started a drop off. 1997-1998 being some of the worst for some, IMHO. GL took a total nosedive after a decent (all things considered based on what came after) 1997. It's weird, because around that time it's almost like the shows stopped "progressing" so to speak. I also don't think it's helped when they switched how they film/tape the show. It makes them look even more cheap than they are. A little less "real" if you will. Not to mention the total lack of a budget. Y&R and B&B still look decent for the most part. Y&R's suffering from a lack of sets though, IMHO. It's not quite as bad as the other soaps but it's starting to become more obvious.

Edited by KMan101