Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Yea, I think they were in different orbits for a while there that year... Victor was more with Julia and Eve, Nikki with Kevin and Rick. Victor definitely had no interaction with Tony DiSalvo, lol

From the recaps, Stuart only had a few appearances in 1983, mostly in the newspaper office setting, before disappearing...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yea, in the vid posted here yesterday, AE is the one who shot Jack. Maybe LS also filmed a version of it before leaving?

I read some of the '83 synopses last night... what happened was Nikki is working hard at being a devoted wife to Kevin, but she is kinda bored... and her old friend from the Bayou Leroy talks her into coming back and doing a few strip performances, because the Bayou is not doing well financially. She agrees (because she's Nikki and she's bored, lol). The mobster Pete Walker (the evil guy in your vid from yesterday wearing the glasses) is secretly at the Bayou and films her, and then blackmails her with the tape. So that's how she gets pulled into the mob story... haven't come across any mention of Victor working in a diner yet...

• Members

At least Nikki was consistent with being a bored housewife....she was bored when married to Greg Foster...and how she would con Los foster into doing her housework for her...and Chris Brooks trying to explain to Nikki how she could be a good wife lol

In a weird way, I think tying Nikki to Victor limited her character in the long run.

• Members

Just read this interesting Terry Lester interview from SOD dated 12/1/87. I always had the impression that he did not get disenchanted with YR until around '88, when the storyline focus went too heavily towards Cricket. But according to this, he was already conflicted about staying, going way back to '85. 

Does anyone know what he is referring to when he says the show trashed his character in mid-'85? This is around the time of the Jack/Nikki/Victor/Ashley quadrangle. I can think of one really lousy thing Jack did around this time... blackmail Ashley by threatening to tell John he wasn't Ashley's bio-dad.

Here's the story:

YR star Terry Lester once quit his Jack Abbott role for a smorgasbord of reasons.

"I was convinced that if you are going to be in daytime, that's all you can do. That's what I was told." The mega-popular he-man also cites exhaustion, boredom, and disgust with his role as explanations  for his brief 1985 departure. "They had trashed the character", Lester maintains, "and I was not willing to continue under the same circumstances". The execs decided to call his bluff. "I was told, 'Well then, too bad.' So I said, 'I'm sorry to hear that. Goodbye.' They really didn't believe I was leaving so they didn't do anything about it. When I said goodbye, it was certainly goodbye".

Two months later, he was back at work with a salary hike, a refocused character, and plenty of "outs" - an industry term for the ability to leave one's soap on virtually a moment's notice to accept a short-term job in TV or flicks. "I was more surprised by my return than anybody, I think", Terry notes, acknowledging that other stars in a similar position haven't met with such a happy ending.

But is he content now? "When my contract came up a few months ago, I again seriously thought about leaving." It's not actual disgruntlement, he says, but rather more of a general actor's neurosis. Even though he agreed to sign on for another round, "Pretty much daily, I ask myself, 'what the hell have I done?' It's just a habit I have of questioning everything - and it's not because I'm unhappy. Although sometimes I think I've just totally screwed myself up." Without doubt, YR's prominence in the ratings remains an enticement. Reveals Lester, "I would not be interested in being in a low-rated daytime show. Like everybody else, I'm here to make the most of my career - and where you do that is on the number-one show"

• Members

Thank you @ltm1997! I finally had a chance to watch these.  The 3rd one is really great. It’s a bummer it’s in Italian, but it still has many key scenes from ’86 to ’89, including:

Jill’s press conference where she almost spills the beans about sleeping with Jack, and John stops her; Nikki’s fake illness; Ashley telling Victor in the rain that she had the abortion; Ashley in the sanitarium with Steven and then getting married; weird fantasies of Leanna dropping spiders on Victor and then strangling him; Brad and Traci’s wedding; Brad in a cage with Lisa; Lauren and Jack rescuing Brad; Brad collapsing in the courthouse at Traci’s divorce; Steven shot and Ashley in mourning;  Nina sleeps with drunk Phillip  (he’s basically unconscious and it looks disturbing); Nina and Phillip’s wedding; Phillip’s drunk car crash and everyone watching him die in the hospital (baby Phillip is crying and it’s so sad!); Jessica’s story (we see her taking a big handfull of pills – is that how she dies?); Jill and David grooming the bum Rex; Rex and Katherine’s marriage; Clint, Robert and Shirley meet Marge; Marge dressing for the 1st time as Katherine; Paul and Cassandra’s courtship and the George Rawlins saga.

• Members

My pleasure!

Please register in order to view this content

The credits were definitely a neat thing to see....I love seeing the "old/new" combo with the cast members....at that point Robert Colbert and Julianna McCartney were the only original cast members still on...

• Members

I think the press praised Cooper in the beginning for Marge's portrayal, but the story just dragged on too long, and according to SOD at the time....the gimmick wore off quickly................I guess fans also thought Katherine and Esther trapped in the isolated cabin when this was all going on was boring...