Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So, I'm not %100 certain, but I think the one 1982 date from September, might have aired on August 30, 1982,

Please register in order to view this content

I'm not gonna change the date yet on the video, but by watching the commercials that were left in, and reading French Fans: Look into the Past for 1982, Most of the stuff in that episode sounds like the same things that I read up on for late August 82.

• Members

I read that Wes Kenney wanted the Stevens family gone for some reason when he took over as Co-Executive Producer.

I wish a few more characters from the 1973-1982 period could have stayed, as to tie all the decades of the show together more. JLB departure made Bill Bell pretty much scrap everything and reboot the show. 

• Members

Agreed... the scenes, while beautifully styled and set-designed, feel so outdated, like from a '60s musical. I found the Brooks child actor to be the most engaging, which is a problem.  Dennis Cole is a blank slate... a Ken doll. Victoria Mallory is trying her hardest, but I guess she is just lacking charisma... that "it factor". And it really takes away from these scenes to know that Lance soon leaves town alone, while Leslie starts a short-lived, ill-fated romance with Robert Laurence before also leaving town.

I've read all the SOD recaps from that time, and just reading everything about the Stevens family was sooooo boring. I saw the one New Years Eve 1982 ep with Bobbi, aka Barbara (April's twin), and she was not a good actress.

I really enjoyed Cynthia Eilbacher, though, when April came back in '93-'94.

Edited by yrfan1983

• Members

I just realized that the actress playing Karen is Jeanna Michaels. She played Bobby's first secretary on Dallas 1978-1981. I knew she was familiar. 

I don't think Chris Holder wanted to leave Y&R, but after Nikki and Victor were set to get married, I guess they no longer had use for his character. Shortly after Chris did EON in it's final months. 

• Members

Watched episode #3

The temp Carl isn't as good as Brett Hadley but he's much better than a temporary recast could have been, especially in such key scenes. Carolyn Conwell gives a wonderful performance - I wish they'd done more with her in later years. 

Doug Davidson is also great here. So intense. This story is very cheesy on paper and like something from a '50s B-picture, but the performances sell it. 

The dialogue in the scenes with Andy and Cindy and then her pimp cracked me up, especially all the references to something being "heavy" (Schemering talked about that too) and the cheesy line about being her oyster. The guy who plays her pimp looks so familiar - it's not Jeff Kober, is it? 

Seeing Andy more in this type of role and not so much worrying over Faren shows me more of what he could have been. Steven Ford was so handsome and had a real presence. 

I wish they'd done more with Carl's boss. That guy also had a lot of presence and heft. 

You can see how much potential and depth the Williams family had. I guess that's why Bell re-used some elements of this plot with the Cassandra story at the end of the decade. 

The Nikki/Kevin stuff dragged, although Katherine sort of salvaged it, as Jeanne so often did. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

@YRfan23 and @ltm1997 for the 1982 episodes!!!!

Looking back I agree with Carl @DRW50  about Liz Foster never should have left the show at all. McCarthy's Liz could have easily continued as the show's Ada Hobson, something Y&R probably could have used but never had after they dropped Liz. I suppose Bell liked playing against type and liked the messy matriarch(Jennifer, Katherine, Mary, Dina, Alison, Joanna) more as opposed to a traditional matriarch.  Even Liz had a past. 

The Robert/Claire stuff was creepy and bizarre. I have yet to see clips of their daughter Angela who was apparently played by a very young Elizabeth Keifer. The actress who played Claire, Susanne Zenor had been very popular and successful on Days as Margo Horton until the show inexplicably killer the character off as part of Days' mass 1980 cast firings.  I believe the Y&R role was her last, she was also married in real life to the original Bill Horton Edward Malloy. 

It's also fascinating to see the Victor/Lorie stuff unfold so quickly right after Lorie had been exonerated. I have to laugh and wonder if Vanessa knew her death would be in such vain with Victor gobbling up the company in no time just to impress Lorie. 

• Members

@DRW50 The pimp is Lenny Wilkins (Nathaniel Christian). He was a hood that worked for Tony DiSalvo--who actually married Nikki (not sure if it was legal).

Carl's boss, Frank Lewis was Amy(Stephanie Williams) father and lasted quite a while on the show. He was played by Brock Peters, famous for his role in  To Kill A Mockingbird.  

• Members

Thank you!! I had finally caught up with them all. I wonder if Bell had planned anything else for the Laurence family but it seems they were pretty much gone to by the end of '82. 

Funny that a lot of the Victor/Nikki/Kevin triangle and Victoria's paternity has been immortalized in the 1983 Micheal Keaton movie Mr. Mom