Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Exactly.

Morrow was fine up until the writers severely warped the character to make Nick & Phyllis happen. It initially began a couple of years before when Heather Tom left & the show chose Shick as the future of the Newman family. But once the show decided to kill off Cassie & break up Shick, Nick became unrecognizable. He went from a well intentioned short tempered mama's boy to a bar tending surfer dude overnight.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks so much for these. I never thought I'd get to see any of this material. Are these some where we saw the little clips from the Retro Ontario channel? 

Watched the first one...

I had never remembered or read much about Lucas' exit. Does he leave Genoa City with that woman? It's good to see more of the character as he always interested me. Who was playing that woman? 

That Lance really is a prop, right to the end. The scenes are a bit twee but Bill Bell probably felt Leslie, and her fans, deserved a blissful goodbye after years of angst. Victoria Mallory did have great screen presence, beauty, and a lovely voice, in spite of not feeling quite right for the role. You can really feel the changing of the guard in this episode through - can you imagine Nikki singing her happiness? 

Speaking of Nikki, MTS did a wonderful job in the scene with the woman who couldn't have a baby. You can see why Bill Bell had enough confidence in her to keep building her up. I also loved seeing a glimpse of the old rough Katherine. The actress playing the woman who couldn't have a baby is very very good - who played her? I had to cringe at that dialogue from her about the baby - I'm reminded throughout this episode of that Chris Schemering comment about the cheesy, bad dialogue being cleaned up as the show went through changes (Conboy leaving, presumably). I had to laugh when she said a child could go on to cure cancer. Instead Nikki's kids grew up to be huge losers. Sad.

It's good to see the beginnings of Lorie's manipulating Victor to get Prentiss back. JLB and Braeden worked well together and Jaime seems restrained here. If she'd wanted to stay I think she probably is one of the few from the early Y&R days who could have made the transition to the more subtle and less hyper-emotional material.

Who are the women with Nikki and Vanessa in the closing credits artwork? I wonder if Nikki and Vanessa ever interacted...

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Watched episode #2 

Beautiful work from Julianna McCarthy as always. Why Bill Bell ever let her go I don't understand. She and Deborah Adair aren't as strong as mother and daughter as some of the other Jills, but they look a lot alike. I just loved Liz. Y&R is dearly missing this type of character today.  

It's difficult to adjust to this Jill, although she is still written very true to the character. I hope some of her and Andy shows up at some point as that's so odd for me to picture. (I wonder if they ever interacted in later years) 

Early Ashley. I guess Traci was around at this point too? Eileen was green but was burning charisma. It was interesting to see the early design of the Abbott mansion (and the ranch in the March 1982 episode). I'm so glad that they got rid of those sliding doors as they don't fit the atmosphere of the place. 

Kevin. Sometimes I wonder what they would have done with him if he'd stayed around (did Chris Holder want to go)? He seems like a good guy and Holder was a decent actor. MTS very good again here - especially in the cliche chapel scene. There always seems to have been some backstage or offcamera issues with MTS that helps blind many to just how good she was for many years. 

The stuff with the always handsome Peter Brown and his wife seems to be from another show entirely. I never have known how long they were around after Leslie was gone. The scenes are extremely unsettling. 

• Members

Thank you YRfan23 and ltm1997 for gifting us rare 1980s Y&R :bighug

Loved seeing the beginning of Victor/Nikki and the Abbotts. 

So Victoria's birth was on-screen then? I know MTS was pregnant in real life when Nikki was pregnant with Victoria, but I couldn't remember if MTS was written off for maternity leave before Nikki gave birth to Victoria.

• Members

No problem!

Please register in order to view this content

I can't say it enough, but this is all @ltm1997 's credit! 
Yeah the March/August shows are indeed from those Ontario newsbreaks, and the other two were ones from a trading site....I think the one episode use to be on YT a long time ago....

It's amazing to see all of these rare glimpses of a very special year for the show, and I say special because of the major transition that's happening.....

@yrfan1983 helped me brush off on some of the "mystery characters" and the woman with Lucas in the first episode is Karen, Andy's first wife....I think I remember reading some about her, but don't know if she hooked up with Lucas.....
it seems like the show had a lot of random characters in the early 80's that were soon written out....I guess Bill Bell was experimenting...

Victor and Lorie seem equally match, and it's nice to see a more vulnerable Victor.....Vulnerable meaning that I don't think he quite thought he ruled everything yet, though I know the dungeon stuff had just happen....
Nikki and Katherine's discussion about having babies was fun, you can tell the show was ready for MTS to be the "next" leading star at this point....

The scenes with Leslie/Lance/Brooks was definitely something you don't see today.....Victoria Mallory is not the best actress, but she's very stunning to look at....It's a shame the show never figured out how to bring Brooks back after so many years...I think most of the adult males they have cast in the last few years could have been good candidates if the show cared....

DA Jill is interesting, and she has pretty good chemistry with JM, who was fabulous....I think her and Brenda DIckson had the best Liz/Jill chemistry though...

Early Ashley and Jack was fun.....It's just amazing that Abbott set has been around for that long...

Yeah I know nothing about the Robert stuff, other then he came back years later in 1990 for Danny's drug trial....interesting how much nicer he seems in these episodes, and was brought back 8 years later to be a jerk during the trial, LOL...

• Members

Peter Brown must have been a favorite actor of Bill Bell, as Bill Bell worked with him on Days then brought him to Y&R and later B&B.

Bill Bell brought to Y&R/B&B a good number of actors he worked with on Days: Margaret Mason, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Susan Flannery just to name a few more.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I wonder if he just wanted to give Peter Brown a job or something so brought him back in 1990 without much interest in the character's past.

Thanks for that about Karen. I had forgotten Andy even had a first wife. I wish I could see some of his early material. 

• Members

Really really beautiful episodes! Thanks for sharing!

Terry Lester was a god, and Eileen was stunning. She had a few unfortunate hairdos during the '80s (who didn't?), but I love seeing her so fresh-faced with the wet hair.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I wish the show had kept Lucas, Lorie and Kevin around. I loved Lilibet Stern as Patty. I was just a kid then, and never forgot her. The women in the closing with Nikki and Vanessa are Casey and April. 

I think I remember reading Lucas does leave town with Karen. The actress reminds me a bit of Leann Hunley for some reason.