Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

How I wish Sony and CBS weren't so obsessive about old episodes. I could see it if they intended to upload them on a for profit site, but I don't think they do. 

I wish Youtube had Y&R, especially from 1995 to the early 2000's. There's also sadly no clips of the Victor/Jill fling in the early 90's. Still, I'm grateful to the brave souls who do upload clips. 

• Members

MTS was the queen of game shows in the 1980s and 1990s. She was on $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid, Tattletales, Body Language, Family Feud, Now You See It, The Price is Right, Jeopardy. The one game show I don't remember her appearing on is Wheel of Fortune. 

Edited by kalbir

• Members

My library has the e-audiobook for Jeanne’s book, so I listened to it.  I enjoyed it but would have liked more of a deep-dive in the YR years, especially the earlier, less-documented years.  For example, 1981… I’ve read the SOD recaps for that year, and Katherine was barely on except for meeting Nikki and hiring her gigolo Cash.  Was that due to issues in Jeanne’s personal life, or issues on the set?

Here are some highlights:

- Became best friends with Juliana McCarthy. Was very close with Terry Lester, EB, JW, and Tricia Cast. Sung praises of VR, TLW, KSJ, S Moore, P Weaver, T Bregman, LLB, ED, PB, BMaitland 

- William Grey Espy welcomed her on her first day. They had co-starred in the movie Kansas City Bomber

- Doesn't know why they replaced John Considine with Donnelly Rhodes as Philip

- She hooked up a couple times with Donnelly Rhodes! She also hooked up once with Quinn Redeker!

- Had a full-on relationship with Beau Kayzer after her divorce! He wanted marriage but Jeanne wasn't ready.

- When Katherine went to AA in 1975, Jeanne was a full-blown alcoholic. She went to rehab a few years later when BB insisted.

- Gave mostly praise for BD - called her feisty yet talented 

- Jeanne and Jess didn't like the 2003 mother daughter twist...felt like it changed the dynamic too much

- Coached David Hasselhoff when he started as Snapper. David was hired for his good looks and charisma, not his acting ability.  She is very fond of him and wishes him the best as he goes through his tabloid dramas.

- Doug Davidson and Don Diamont were a pair of offscreen goofballs

- Felt Katherine's greatest love was Felipe Ramirez ( from 1980)

- Threatened to quit if PB was fired after PBs fight with EB in 1991

- Liked to pinch young co-stars like G Rikaart, J Morrow, B Miller, M Grazidei during dramatic scenes. She stopped to discreetly greet (and pinch) GR as she was walking down the aisle during Katherine's wedding to Murphy. Pinched EB once during a boring scene.  EB drove her nuts, because he always would have Victor say the last line in a scene, even if the line wasn't in the script. One time she was able to best him, and have Katherine improv the last line in the scene before the director yelled cut.

-Was initially friends with Ed Scott and MTS. MTS even called her “mother”. In the late 80s, MTS suddenly stopped speaking to her for no reason, and Ed was hostile to her. MTS finally started speaking to her again two years later, out of the blue, and the friendship was renewed.

- Katherine's first maid, Emma, was around til 1981 when the actress died. Jeanne requested a new maid, and Kate Linder was cast as an unnamed maid in 1982. Jeanne named her Esther.  KL pitched a story to BB in '90 in which Katherine would die, and Esther and Kate would inherit the estate! When Jeanne confronted her, KL denied it.  

- The early ‘90s was a tough period for Jeanne at YR, because besides this KL incident, she felt that Ed Scott wanted her off the show. During this time period, she met Doug Marland (ATWT head writer), who said he would create a new role on his show for Jeanne, and she could work again with Terry who was on the show.  Jeanne said yes, because working in New York City with a legend like Doug and her old friend Terry sounded like a dream. But Doug soon after died of a heart attack.  She always wondered what could have been.

• Members

I've heard about the tales Jeanne & MTS not talking for 2 years, but what caused it? 

This is the first I've ever heard of KL trying to get Kay killed off. I knew there was a reason why I never like Ester's annoying a**. 

Please register in order to view this content

I would've loved to have seen Jeanne on ATWT. Her and Liz Hubbard in a scene would've been a hoot. I wouldn't've been surprised to see her on GL during that time too, as she always said that if she weren't on Y&R, she would've loved to have been on GL. 

• Members

Jeanne was mystified why MTS wouldn't talk to her! Though clearly Ed Scott disliking Jeanne had something to do with it. Nikki and Katherine continued to have scenes together but once the camera stopped rolling, MTS would not interact. After two years, Ed Scott was lighting a scene to be shot between Nikki and Katherine. He was only focused on MTS' lighting, and literally kept Jeanne in the dark. According to Jeanne, maybe this made MTS felt bad? MTS said "Ed - what about Mother's lighting"? From that moment, MTS resumed the relationship with Jeanne, and I guess that was the end of it.

Speaking of Jeanne and GL... she mentioned something I ever forgot or never knew about... she and Christian Leblanc appeared on an episode during the very last week of Guiding Light, in small parts.  At first, they were just going to be extras, but the writers gave them a few lines. Jeanne and CL did it as a sign of respect for the canceled show.