Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Jack's womanizing (stemming from his deep mommy issues) was a crucial aspect of the character from the beginning. Dina was a HUGE part of Jack's life (especially because he was her favorite).

Bell ignored all of the characters established history when they hired PB and made John Jack's sole inspiration.

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hey guys! I am really looking to find Y&R episodes from 1998 when Nicholas cheated on Sharon with Grace. That was some good acting by Sharon Case! I stopped watching Y&R around 2001 because I hate what they did to her character 

P.S: I enjoy reading about all you guys' opinions on past episodes! It sounds like Y&R was way better back then

• Members

For what it's worth, I wish headwriter Sally Sussman would revisit that time to examine how/why Sharon got off-track on the way to rebuilding her current character.

The bi-polar narrative has never worked and has been written very poorly.

SS needs to write a story where Sharon's mental instability resulted from the night a distraught Sharon ran out into traffic and got hit by a car after learning about Nick and Grace's affair.

SS could easily write that Sharon got a bump on the head that had slowly grown into a benign mass on her brain, while essential harmless has affected the part(s) of her brain responsible for decision-making and emotions and that it must be removed before it begins to do actual physical harm. There is some risk of removing the now large size of the tumor but leaving it to grow is no longer an option.

Since Sally has become the queen of the flashbacks, LOL, a storyline like this could provide a boat-load of flashbacks and a recap of Sharon and Nick's history for more recent viewers to learn about these characters by seeing, rather than just hearing or reading.

• Members

I'm actually over bad character decisions being blamed on tumors. Just have the character own up to it and move on. Write a better story. These shows spend so much time trying to "fix" things that there's zero forward momentum. Just give Sharon something to do that has nothing to do with her mental health. There. Problem solved.

• Members

Peter Bergman as Jack preview....I guess Terry Lester had just left....

I am surprised that Y&R numbers didn't suffer because of three recasts back to back to back with Jill, Ashley and Jack. Three major characters of the show.

• Members

I've recently watched PB's first 6 months as Jack... it is painful to sit through his awkward imitation of Terry Lester's portrayal.

The one bright spot is that John, Jack, Ashley, and Traci still felt like a cohesive family even with PB and BE newly in their roles.

I was a fan of Jack and Phyllis in the early 2000s, but by then PB was playing a completely different character.

• Members

You have to remember that at the time, Bergman was coming off a very popular role on AMC when he joined. He had a lot of fans from that role.  While it's been 30 years since and the role of Jack has been decimated over the last x number years. I loved Lester in the role as much as anyone, but he was gone. Epperson was styled so much like Davidson, most probably didn't care. It makes sense the ratings remained stable. JMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Does anybody by chance have the scenes involving Phillip III's death from 1989 with Jill, Nina, Kay, etc.?? From the car accident all the way up to the aftermath of the funeral for his estate. I hope someone does and could upload them! I've been looking for them for so long!

• Members

I have some of the old clips of Lauren's party and Patty shooting Jack. Are they on Youtube still? I didn't want to reupload something if the original person still had plans for it. I figure everyone here has already seen those anyway, it was just in case any of you hadn't and wanted to see them.