DRW50

DAYS behind the scenes, articles/photos

2 hours ago, Sindacco said:

And back then they worked much longer hours. I remember Drake once said in an interview they could start working 7AM or something and be done 11PM. Go home and sleep for a few hours and then back to the studio, and they also worked on weekends when they shot big events. These days an actor can be done for the day by lunch, or they don't start until after lunch. Plus they have alot of weeks off when the studio is dark.

+1

All of this

On 5/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, DaysFanatic777 said:

You've got to give the devil his due.  Ron did in fact save GH, and he has found a way to give Days four extra years (I'm telling you, it will be gone more than likely after this next chance for renewal).  That means two daytime dramas are still airing because Ron Carlivati found a way to reinvigorate the shows.  That's no small feat in 2019. 

Save the rapemance, I thought his first year to year and a half at Days was enjoyable.  Has it been plagues by tropes, ridiculous camp, enormous plot holes, and poorly developed characters?  Of course, but it is "Days of Our Lives" and no one expects this show to be an in depth character study.  There was a time when it was a sophisticated drama that was driven by interwoven relationships and social issues.  Sadly that show died with disco, and this is what we are left with.  I think Ron is a decent choice for the show at this point.

I'm just seriously dreading where we are headed from here.  Once he reaches this point in his tenure on any given show, things really go to hell in a hand basket.  Since the new year arrived, this show has fallen apart faster than a gazelle popping Adderall, and it's going to continue to spiral.

I had always hoped Sheri Anderson would be brought back to see this show off the air, but now that's highly unlikely.  Ron will be there when this show makes it's final bow, and I'd bet my entire savings account that it will be a f#cking dumpster fire of enormous proportions when the sand finally runs out of the hourglass. 

At least on GH his peaks were really good. I feel like on DAYS he's never even reached that, it's decent at best. The only good time periods IMO have been September - November 2017 and October 2018. That's not much in almost two years.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:22 PM, Sindacco said:

At least on GH his peaks were really good. I feel like on DAYS he's never even reached that, it's decent at best. The only good time periods IMO have been September - November 2017 and October 2018. That's not much in almost two years.

Agreed. I watched GH during 2012-2013 when the "Llanview 3" came over, and from then on until around the Spring of 2013, show was really popping (admittedly, I was a sucker for all the OLTL cameos & references, as well as the Port Charles vampire throwback, references to Loving, etc.).   His first year at DAYS improved the show, but there was still something lacking; something extra to make it really shine and it never achieved it. 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:22 AM, Sindacco said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. 

2 minutes ago, Gray Bunny said:

Agreed. I watched GH during 2012-2013 when the "Llanview 3" came over, and from then on until around the Spring of 2013, show was really popping (admittedly, I was a sucker for all the OLTL cameos & references, as well as the Port Charles vampire throwback, references to Loving, etc.).   His first year at DAYS improved the show, but there was still something lacking; something extra to make it really shine and it never achieved it. 

Agreed. It's still lacking something ...

He needs a strong co-headwriter

On 5/5/2019 at 6:46 PM, KMan101 said:

Anyway, on daytime royalty, Jason47 has been posting recaps and it's been a lot of fun to read the 80s stuff (and I'm watching what I can as well ... and there are some VERY detailed recaps that just suck you in, even a recap can suck me in but today the soaps do such a poor job of "drawing you in"), you can easily see the transitional periods where things would get dropped, characters in and out, and then around 85/86 you could clearly see them losing interest in Don, Liz, Neil, Marie (who basically was used as fill-in for Maggie while Suzanne Rogers was out for a year) ... I tended to get slightly disappointed in certain directions they took things. As much as I love the Bradys and Johnsons, I think they ultimately ended up taking a lot of focus away from the Hortons. Mickey and Maggie were finally reunited and only had the Neil/Sarah stuff a little later before no one had any interest in them. Marie sort of became forgotten about and then never brought back for long stints after that. Don disappeared mailing a letter (and they gave him no followup to Sonia's death, which I found odd, but they were clearly checked out on him, he was becoming the Mickey of Days before Mickey became that ... lol if that makes sense!). I thought Don filled a nice role but I'm glad Jed Allan went onto Santa Barbara (I've always loved Jed Allan but often have mixed feelings on Don)

I have to admit I liked how they tied the DiMera's to the core players like Liz (through Tony and Stefano), and they involved Doug and Julie (before it became about Bo and Hope), Mickey ... but if you didn't watch at the time or read up like I do, you'd never know most of it ... and it seems "Stefano had plans for Julie" ... fascinating she could have been his obsession before it became about Marlena and Roman.

Anyway, kind of random but it's fun, and interesting, to really see the transitions. I thought they gave couples a lot of ridiculous, stupid obstacles to overcome, LOL (which JER doubled down on in the 90s). Especially Melissa and Pete, lawd ...

The transitions are fun to read or rewatch. Even in more recent years when the show has been crap I find transition periods somewhat fascinating.

Wesley Eure (Ex Mike Horton) tweeted a photo and caption of him, John Clarke and Macdonald Carey when Mike was in the hospital when a wagon injured him in which he came to find out that Mickey was really his uncle and Bill was his father. 

Man I wish Sony would release 60/70's episodes on the NBC website one day. Or if someone can get their hands on them the better. 

In this scene on DAYS OF OUR LIVES I was crushed by a wagon falling on me! I discovered my father wasn't my father. My uncle was my father because my uncle raped my mother years before at the hospital Oh, soap operas! LOL

D6uFd_cU8AIE66S.jpg

I'm sure others would disagree, but I would love to see Eure back as Mike.  At the very least, DAYS would be able to use more old clips as flashbacks.

Better shot and lit than actual DAYS episodes...

Quite fun, too. 

Not complaining about all the shirtlessness.