DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

pannoni4, who uploads a lot of commercials and sometimes soap operas, has a Google+ channel with an episode from 6/16/81.

Just Google pannoni4's Google+ and you will quickly see a link to their soap page. 

Youtube channel SMC6 currently has two episodes up from May and August 1989.

• Members

The thing is, JER didn’t need those gimmicks. He created one of the best young romantic quads with two pairs of half-siblings with Carrie/Austin/Sami/Lucas and turning the bland Kristen Blake into one of daytime's best villainesses. Both stories may have dragged a bit at times but the payoffs were worth it. Kristen as Susan's fake teeth flying across the yard into Vivian's champagne glass? Carrie, Eric and Mike crashing Austin and Sami's wedding with the irrefutable proof that Austin wasn't Will's father...and Lucas' reaction when he found out that HE was? Ah, good times.

• Members

The Marlena clones were briefly mentioned a couple weeks after the fact ("someone reported seeing Marlena in Iowa"). Random, huh? Otherwise never mentioned again. This lil story nugget is just the thing Carlivati could find out about and use for today's stories (and by "today," I mean 2020...) 

• Members

The quad I'll grant you. And, I know this is unpopular as hell here, but Kristen's transformation, while believable due to Marlena and Kristen's insecurity, went way too far into later crazy rapist land. And the whole Susan/billion other characters dreck was awful. So I hated the thing with the teeth and Susan herself. It was that era - along with the admitted ratings juggernaut of Marlena's possession, IMO, that started Days' long spiral into campy laughingstock. And it has never fully recovered since. JER was great at gimmicks and shock. Actual soap with heart, not so much.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

Fair enough! The wedding episodes in late August/early September 1997 were absolutely must watch. Reilly could deliver when it came to a bad guy/girl getting his/her comeuppance. But you're right that stories with heart weren't his strength. Too bad he didn’t have a co-HW who was good at that to balance him out.

• Members

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- JER got away with the most audacious storyline he could possibly come up with AND he got higher ratings for it! After that, I'm sure he knew he could get away with basically anything, evidenced by DAYS, PASSIONS, and then DAYS again. What was there to stop him?

I think Bell's influence on his work was clear and he retained a lot of what seemed to make Y&R successful, which also happened to be classic soap traits. He knew how to build tension and hold interest and I do think he was pretty good at plotting. I also don't agree he didn't have any heart (there have been plenty of moments in my viewing so far but I suppose they get overshadowed by the flashy stuff) but I do think he lost a lot of it overtime.

• 2 weeks later...