DRW50

DAYS behind the scenes, articles/photos

On 1/26/2019 at 10:48 PM, YRBB said:

I nearly lost it when Austin, who has been trying to get Carrie back, walks into her apartment and just takes his shirt off. :lol: Like, "You can't possibly deny me now! Just look at the muscles!" He then grabs her face and puts it on his humongous peck under the guise of having Carrie "listen to his heart" saying I love you. OMG. :lol:

Hilariously cheesy :lol:

Edited by Sindacco

Was that promo created before or after ABC's love in the afternoon campaign?

Also the Another World part of that is so bizarre, it's just Rachel and Steve staring at each other. In fact I think Rachel's first shot is a still image.

Between the music and the lingering looks, I feel as if I'm watching an EST seminar.

18 minutes ago, Darn said:

Was that promo created before or after ABC's love in the afternoon campaign?

I believe it was created before.  

Edited by Khan

Joel Crothers: A rugged heterosexual who can't get enough! God bless.

There's a Wikipedia article about "Love in the Afternoon" that will probably tell you more than you could possibly want to know about the campaign.  When it claims that the phrase came from the NBC and ABC campaigns to "refer to the stories told on soap operas," it doesn't mention the 1971 novel by the same name, a BTS look at a fictional soap, written by Ed Zimmermann (the second Joe Werner on GL). It's even likely someone had used the phrase even earlier.

14 minutes ago, Vee said:

Joel Crothers: A rugged heterosexual who can't get enough! God bless. 

Back when Tom Selleck was hired on Y&R, fans probably thought they were hiring a "Joel Crothers-type," though I doubt that was on Bill Bell's mind. But actually, put either of them in tight jeans and a leather vest (with, or better, without a white T-shirt) and you have the quintessential gay look of the 70's - the Castro clone.

Edited by BuckyB12

4 hours ago, Khan said:

Between the music and the lingering looks, I feel as if I'm watching an EST seminar.

You can't underestimate the excitement of  Ernie Anderson's (the voice of ABC's promos) tone in those vintage ABC promos versus this ponderous montage of men patting the heads of the women they loved. 

I recently binged the '80s and '90's promos on YT and NBC's were always cheesier and less appealing than CBS or certainly ABC.  Remember "it'll excite you"  or those odd typefaced promos with the action speed up?  Spoiler alert: they don't hold up.