DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's a Wikipedia article about "Love in the Afternoon" that will probably tell you more than you could possibly want to know about the campaign.  When it claims that the phrase came from the NBC and ABC campaigns to "refer to the stories told on soap operas," it doesn't mention the 1971 novel by the same name, a BTS look at a fictional soap, written by Ed Zimmermann (the second Joe Werner on GL). It's even likely someone had used the phrase even earlier.

Back when Tom Selleck was hired on Y&R, fans probably thought they were hiring a "Joel Crothers-type," though I doubt that was on Bill Bell's mind. But actually, put either of them in tight jeans and a leather vest (with, or better, without a white T-shirt) and you have the quintessential gay look of the 70's - the Castro clone.

Edited by BuckyB12

• Members

You can't underestimate the excitement of  Ernie Anderson's (the voice of ABC's promos) tone in those vintage ABC promos versus this ponderous montage of men patting the heads of the women they loved. 

I recently binged the '80s and '90's promos on YT and NBC's were always cheesier and less appealing than CBS or certainly ABC.  Remember "it'll excite you"  or those odd typefaced promos with the action speed up?  Spoiler alert: they don't hold up.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I loved Wayne.  I only saw his last storyline as a kid when Stefano killed Roman.  But I loved him.  Drake was always pleasant to me as Roman, and for those that find him sexy he gave them plenty to look at.  I was way more into Bo, so Drake wasn’t on my radar as far as attraction.

People I knew that also watched DAYS absolutely preferred Drake to Wayne.  I didn’t get it back then, and I still do not.  The story written by JER and Sheri (she was there when it started) put the tortured aspect directly at John and Marlena’s feet.  Roman was not written well at that time, and John was given the type of writing that romance fans respond to.  Tortured and sexy.  JER absolutely ran with that as a solo HW writer and made Marlena/John the couple.

Truthfully, Drake’s Roman (even before they thought he was him) was always written from a romance story angle first, whereas Wayne was a more complete character as created and acted out.

I also remember reading in the soap mags that people wanted her with John.

I don’t want anyone with Josh’s Roman.  Never have cared for him.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Wayne and Roman always got a raw deal from the show and I still don't like it. But Drake and Deidre were hot as hell in the '90s. That's a fact! John and Marlena earned their own legacy and their longevity AFAIC. Most recast couples in that kind of unique situation can't say the same.

• Members

Drake Hogestyn had the good fortune to strike gold with almost any woman his Roman/John were paired with. Considering the insane popularity of John/Marlena (which I can admit objectively even as this pairing has never done anything for me!), I think it said a lot when, upon the return of Wayne's Roman and Marlena, I recall SOD saying it was inundated with letters about the quad but many surprisingly were just as vocal/worried about John leaving Isabella. (And they had that issue's cover - when SOD still did actual photo shoots.)

And he also had success with Genie Francis' Diana (making this current story and Diana's ruin ridiculous) and Eileen Davidson's Kristen, all very different women, but - while not a great actor - able to generate chemistry and fanbases galore. So I get why the writers took to Roman/RoJohn/John in the end, even if, yeah, Wayne Northrop got the shaft. Still, WN left again and was then some dumb retcon character upon a second return. Had it be known he would not have stayed, I would have made WN a fake Roman to mess with DH's version. As John as a person, no writer has ever gotten a handle on the character, and it's a testament that Hogestyn has been able to work with such a schittily-defined character.

• Members

I like Drake and I think he and Deidre were (and are) a good pairing. But I thought Wayne & Dee were better, and I was rooting for Roman & Marlena rather than John & Marlena. 

However, I continue to think Jed Allan was Dee's best screen partner --- she became a soap phenomenon after Don & Marlena broke up, but she never again reached the level of performance she did with Jed.